Thanks Thanks:  587
Likes Likes:  78,134
Page 1418 of 1457 FirstFirst ... 418918131813681408141614171418141914201428 ... LastLast
Results 14,171 to 14,180 of 14562

Default Re: How did you get on?

Last Sunday I fished a club fixture on the river Thame just outside Thame itself. After the same fixture last year, which was rock hard, I vowed never to return. However I was encouraged to go on the promise it had improved since a lot of work parties. Weed had been removed and swims renovated and tbh it did look better.

The fishing however was still pants! I admit it’s not the best time of year what with the sudden drop in temps and cold rain going in, but it was dire. The swim above was the second I tried after failing to get a bite in my first choice. Trotting down the middle produced nothing, I had to get the pole out and run a tiny float down the far bank, uncomfortably close to the bushes. This produced tiny roach and chublets. I also found a few in the slack beneath my feet. In the 3 hours I fished it I had about 15 fish for 9oz!
    The flyer peg above the road bridge won as usual with 3lb+.

Tuesday saw me return with 14 other codgers for our midweek match to the GUC near Leighton Buzzard. Having struggled there last week on a practice I didn’t hold out much hope. Whilst organising the draw I dropped my flask which smashed the glass inside. Then I drew 15 so was last to walk off, missing out on the favoured early pegs..
    5 hours of trying everything I remained biteless.
    Blanked! To cap it all it rained on and off too.

Small consolation I suppose but it was picturesque.

In all 9 codgers blanked, top weight was 3:12:0 on the first peg. Second had 0:8:0! Third 0:4:0..

With a few exceptions it’s been a miserable few days on the HDYGO.

Well ok as its quiet, I had this chunky Ide 2 days ago from my prebaited spot on the river. As Roach were my target you can imagine what I thought went I caught the first glimpse of that rising up from the depths ...

How did you get on?-ide.jpg

Peter Crabtree - re your post, at least it's not just me struggling at the moment! Capt. LA Parker in his book 'This Fishing' said that the last two weeks of October and the first two weeks of November were the hardest - I'm not arguing.

I'm not missing much then.

Quote Originally Posted by mikench View Post
    I'm not missing much then.
    No you are not. All that rubbish they spout about fish fattening up for winter...HuH.

Well that is all very encouraging as I head off tomorrow for my first fish since mid September.

Got to the sod it stage, river far from perfect, damn cold but not raining so going to pick up a pint of maggots and have a few hours trotting for grayling. A 120 mile round trip I am hoping for something, anything!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by peter crabtree View Post
    Whilst organising the draw I dropped my flask which smashed the glass inside.
    Peter I didn’t realise you could still get flasks with the fragile glass inside them

Keith
    Happiness is fish shaped (It used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Thermos still make them. I've replaced it with a steel one...

They are not as good but far more robust.