How did you get on?

mikench

Reaction score
Gordon and I met up at a familiar water which we both like despite mixed results. The omens did not look promising.

IMG_8361.jpeg

The water looked like a scene from Willy Wonka, a chocolate brown but not at all appetising. It transpired that just before Easter a dam at a nearby sand quarry, which I wasn’t aware of, had burst and millions of gallons of water escaped and because a ditch/ steam adjacent to the lake and its car park was blocked, the car park flooded and water escaped into the lake. The informant told me the lake was fishing worse than normal and he had only come to see if it had improved if only in appearance.

it hadn’t on all counts. Every time my feeder landed the water erupted like a chocolate fountain. Needless to say I caught nothing on the feeder. Gordon on the other hand fared a lot better and had several roach, bream and a lovely tench. Gordon took pity on me and gave me some maggots suggesting I reverted to a float. I set up the Acolyte but struggled for my two decent roach. The land owner is pursuing a pollution claim but nobody knew what contaminants other than sand were present.

We will give the place a miss for a while. A hard water is now even harder. Incompetence played a part but others struggled like me. At least I avoided, just, a blank. See you next week Gordon. Might I suggest Goose Green?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Picked the syndicate water today, thinking it might warm up sooner than our club water, I was there just after 6 30 am, mick arrived later as he had a doctors appointment, as it was very windy and gusting from all directions, I picked a swim on the east bank, hoping it would be more sheltered, fished fairly close in at top kit plus two sections, as it was too windy to fish further out, fed my favourite ground bait at the moment, Sonu hemp and hali crush, it’s working well for me so far this year.

Tried maggots first which got me a roach, and then a 4lb common, plus an F1 and a couple more roach, but no tench, so I changed to sweetcorn and that did the trick, started catching tench between half a pound and 2lb, plus more roach and a couple of skimmers.

finished at 4 pm, with a total of 24 tench, plus the others,
so a good day, it was also dry and warm in the afternoon when the sun came out, in spite of the wind, enjoyed it, and mick caught well also.
First decent tench catch I have read so far Seth, well done and it is May 1st, very appropriate and cheered me up no end, the future looks bright, well, actually it looks wet but I wont let that dampen my optimism.

peterjg

Reaction score
I haven't done much fishing this last month (April) due to lots of decorating and DIY - that's enough for this year. I have good river and canal fishing but have been struggling to find some decent lake roach fishing. Well I've joined another club and it looks like I may have found some! Been twice to the new water and had roach to the pound mark. Today started at dawn float fishing bread, caught two roach and a rudd then the swim went dead. Swapped to macaroni and had a flurry of bites for another six decent roach. Packed up quickly just as it started to rain.