Thanks Thanks:  552
Likes Likes:  76,762
Page 1421 of 1431 FirstFirst ... 42192113211371141114191420142114221423 ... LastLast
Results 14,201 to 14,210 of 14304

Default Re: How did you get on?

I needed to go to the river for a hazel stick. I needed to clear a couple of paths of encroaching trees. It was a decent day. I still had half a pint of maggots slowly shrinking to nothing. Despite it being a bit higher than I'd like, it would be rude not to.

Not a great start when two cormorants popped up in my chosen swim while I was setting up. I wasn't sure which way they came from, so I had to hope for the best. Struggled for an hour for two grayling and one of my pet trout. Decided to move on after losing a suspected second trout. Hard to be sure at range in heavy water.

The second swim is another of my high water bankers. Unfortunately, I couldn't buy a bite for love nor money. I tried hard enough, but just couldn't find them anywhere. Made me wonder whether the cormorants had been having fun in the swim before I got there.

What centre pin are you using haven't seen one with 3 handles before.

Quote Originally Posted by steve2 View Post

It's a (modern) Hardy Conquest.

Quote Originally Posted by steve2 View Post
    Got to handle it to you, I hadn’t spotted that!

It's a stunning reel imo.

Blog Entries

Fished the peg on the opposite side far right here How did you get on? yesterday. With gusts up to 32mph and highs of 6.8C I wasn't anticipating great results. Fortunately the big Rhododendron and some trees to the left (winds NE, North to the right in the pic) gave some shelter, casting wasn't too difficult. Arrived about 10:30. 5bb glow tip antenna to 2lb fluorocarbon and 20s hook, 10'6" Toreon. Decided to put all the groundbait, about 150g wet spread around, laced with pinkies in at the start. I've a suspicion that on these seldom fished waters fish don't like bait crashing in on top of them. Firing two or three maggots and casters in every few minutes and nothing after an hour. Bites started to come but all small Roach, nothing bigger than 3oz but at least I was getting bites and nearly all to maggot. Not much interest in caster, no interest whatsoever in corn or bread. Picked a nice Rudd up of around 4+oz. Fishing about 18" off bottom in 82" seemed to work best. It went dead early afternoon, stuck with it and started to get bites again but very difficult to hit. I've often wondered how much fish are affected but the feel of the line so switched to some sewing thread which breaks at about 1.6lb and should be quite reliable as it's made for machine sewing. It's exteremely soft and I'd guess being cotton like might feel a bit less alien than nylon or fluorocarbon. Not sure it made much difference but I did pick a few more up and another nice slightly bigger Rudd but still hard to hit so decided to fish laying on about 3". Nothing there until about 3pm. Put two maggots on in the hope of something bigger when the float went under and I struck into something a bit more solid. Just my luck, fishing with cotton and the lump of the lake takes a fancy to my bait. After a farly short albeit a rather one sided fight I managed to coax it in, a nice 2:8 Common

How did you get on?-20191114_150748_sml.jpg

Nothing after that packing up at 4pm, 18 all told. A rather satisfying day and at least no rain

A stiff bitterly cold NE wind off the North Sea was never going to make the fish switch on today.
    The lake was crystal clear and full of leaves. No bites until 2pm then 2carp at 8+ on quickstop worm on the bomb.
    Unfortunately no perch which were the target. No chance of river fishing in these parts for a while.

PS> on my way in I inadvertently brought a load of mud in. I am keeping my head down at the moment from SWMBO.

Thumbs up Re: How did you get on?

This weekend I’ll be competing in a two day, two lake fixture.
    One of the lakes I have fished a couple of times in the last year, the other, a 22 acre pit, I haven’t for a few years.
    In the past I have had some 20lb+ bags of roach and hybrids from it, so with that in mind, and despite the challenging weather, off I set.
    Started on waggler and maggot 4 rod lengths out but after an hour I was still biteless. I set up a 10’ Forcemaster tip rod with a 25gr method feeder and mixed some gb. Size 14 QM1 with 3 maggots with the intention to catch some bream and skimmers which are plentiful in the pit.

The brisk east wind was coming broadside and was damn cold too but I soldiered on. First chuck and as I was tightening up the line to the feeder it ripped round. This was no skimmer. As I battled with it I realised my landing net was only small, could be a problem?

Somehow I managed to get it in head first and nearly broke the feeble little net. A mid double which once unhooked was reluctant to leave the net. Every time I got it halfway out of the net in the water it swam back in!
    The next two consecutive casts produced another two of them, at least they warmed me up....
    I honestly didn’t think the carp would feed in the bitterly cold conditions, how wrong can one be?

Where was that?

Albans lakes ( formerly Willows lakes) in Tyttenhanger green near London Colney.

Albans Lakes | Albans Lakes – Hertfordshire’s Ultimate Angling Experience