Thanks Thanks:  549
Likes Likes:  76,212
Page 1423 of 1423 FirstFirst ... 423923132313731413142114221423
Results 14,221 to 14,230 of 14230
  1. Default Re: How did you get on?

Quote Originally Posted by john step View Post
    I am pretty sure looking at the website that this started off as a Verulum water. The roach fishing was superb, the stock coming from Verulum Park lake. After a couple of years of stocking they were done the dirty on and kicked out.

The water looks low? They couldn't have had the rain like the North and Midlands?
    I didn’t know that about there. I used to fish for the roach in the pond at Verulamium Park as a kid (when we could get away with it.). There were some big roach and perch in there before a fish kill wiped out almost everything in there. It’s a shallow concrete pond so I think in hot summers it gets very hot and the fish and ducks get badly affected

I wasn’t aware that Verulam AC owned Albans/willow lake or whatever it was called back then. It’s a different place now to when I fished there once 25 years ago on a day ticket, like a lot of fisheries now, I guess

Default Re: How did you get on?

Back to my prebaited swim on the river. I have been keeping the bait going in and trying to fish it whenever I can which usually means a snatched hour or two every few days. The back & forth is hard work but I have been consistently catching a very good stamp of fish.

A much smaller head of Bream than on the main river means I am catching@ 10 Roach to every Bream whereas its been the pole opposite on the main river & its given me a very good opportunity to really start to come to grips with the Roach. I have learnt allot in this swim. For one thing I now know that given the right circumstances I can start to single out the bigger Roach by fishing quite large hard baits on a short hair. I’ll let them tug and knock it about till I get a firm pull round on the tip which usually means a bigger one has got the bait right into its mouth. As a test for the first time I put some corn directly on the hook. Result was two of the smallest Roach I have had from the swim.
    This was the result of a little over 1 hours fishing.. 8 nice Roach + a solitary Bream. Some of them were as fat as butter and clearly feeding up. Every bite at the moment could potentially be a real whopper and its very exciting fishing. I just wish I had more time.

With the weather set to warm up next week conditions look spot on, hopefully I can get a few casts in.
    How did you get on?-imgp0149.jpg

Its not just the fish that like the prebait, this guy turns up like Pavlovs dog each time ...

How did you get on?-20191119_180602.jpg

10 old codgers fished our weekly Tuesday outing yesterday on the GUC at Leighton Buzzard town centre. Quite a journey for me at an hour during rush hour. Despite its location it was pleasant enough and unlike much of the more local canals it had colour.

I started on punch on a light waggler just over the near shelf, a couple of nuggets of liquy fed first got the roach going almost immediately. They were really small, probably less than an ounce each.
    I had almost 50 in the first hour..
    Around 2 hours in they fizzled out so I changed down from a 20 hook to a 22. Casting across to the far shelf with single white pinkie and spraying squatts .
    This produced a slightly better stamp of roach averaging 3-4 oz. Constantly pinging a pouch of squatts kept them interested for the last 3 hours.
    Ended up with 5:14:0 but was narrowly beaten into second place by 6:0:8

Last edited by peter crabtree; Yesterday at 07:31.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    Back to my prebaited swim on the river. I have been keeping the bait going in and trying to fish it whenever I can which usually means a snatched hour or two every few days. The back & forth is hard work but I have been consistently catching a very good stamp of fish.

A much smaller head of Bream than on the main river means I am catching@ 10 Roach to every Bream whereas its been the pole opposite on the main river & its given me a very good opportunity to really start to come to grips with the Roach. I have learnt allot in this swim. For one thing I now know that given the right circumstances I can start to single out the bigger Roach by fishing quite large hard baits on a short hair. I’ll let them tug and knock it about till I get a firm pull round on the tip which usually means a bigger one has got the bait right into its mouth. As a test for the first time I put some corn directly on the hook. Result was two of the smallest Roach I have had from the swim.
    This was the result of a little over 1 hours fishing.. 8 nice Roach + a solitary Bream. Some of them were as fat as butter and clearly feeding up. Every bite at the moment could potentially be a real whopper and its very exciting fishing. I just wish I had more time.

With the weather set to warm up next week conditions look spot on, hopefully I can get a few casts in.
    How did you get on?-imgp0149.jpg

Its not just the fish that like the prebait, this guy turns up like Pavlovs dog each time ...

How did you get on?-20191119_180602.jpg
    Cracking roach Philip,I take it that animal is a coypu???

Bitterly cold day in the Wolds today. With the rivers still in the news and roads flooded I headed uphill to a small club fishery that contains lots of small carp to 5/6lb. Not every ones favourite pastime on here but needs must when you want a few bites and conditions are dire.
    A fun day on the long rod and centre pin with a pole float.
    Worn/prawn/bread saw lots of bites and many carp/rudd/roach and one tiny perch.

I had not seen a jay for ages and now I have seen two on consecutive days. I also saw a dumped mattress in this the most beautiful part of Lincolnshire. Bloody scrotes.

Quote Originally Posted by whitty View Post
    Thanks Alan, yes it is. ...actually quite handy to have around as he clears up any bait I spill after I go so there is no trace that I am baiting the spot each day

Finally managed to get an hour by the river this morning. Still flowing well and a little high. Banked 1 chub, lost another to a snapped hook length. Trotted bread flake on a stick float. Nice hour and a half out

Blog Entries

Managed a day on the Dam Wednesday. Arriving around 10:30 it was cold but the very gentle breeze made it quite tolerable. 13' to 2lb and 20s light hook in 7' at about 10M laying on a few inches. Leaves leaves and more leaves. It's not often I pray for wind fishing the waggler. Not a chance of sinking the line so fished it on top of the leaves trying to cast into the sparse gaps in the leaves. I only got the bait to the bottom somthing like one in five casts but managed to catch. Small Roach but at least there were fish there. Managed to hook one of around 6oz which promptly unhooked itself jiggling around on top of the leaves. The breeze picked up around 2:30 which was good as it was shifting the leaves but bad in that it was taking the line with it. It was about 30min before I could sink the line. There was still a big raft of leaves close in but at least the swim was more or less clear. Hooked another decent Roach, bigger than I like to swing in, around 6oz but did and lost it again. Arrrrrgh, the two best fish and I lose both of them. Bites dies off around 3, coincidental with the leaves clearing? Not a bad day though given the conditions, 18 altogether. Caster favourite.

Quote Originally Posted by whitty View Post
    I was under the impression that Coypu had been wiped out in this country. I know they were wiped out in East Anglia.

I think he is in France where Coypu are quite widespread.