Thanks Thanks:  592
Likes Likes:  78,956
Page 1425 of 1468 FirstFirst ... 425925132513751415142314241425142614271435 ... LastLast
Results 14,241 to 14,250 of 14674

Default Re: How did you get on?

I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve blanked when lure fishing but when you do hook up it’s a great buzz. There are times I don’t have time to prepare and fish bait methods, this is when a short drop shotting walk along the river is perfect.

I like the precise measurement of that milestone to Leeds!

Blog Entries

It's not just the blanks, I've had plenty of them with bait! I just don't find it an enjoyable form of fishing. I like the roving with minimal tackle approach, but can do that with a tub of worms or maggots.
    I really wanted to get into it but would be much happier chucking chopped worms around my float tip. Each to their own.

3. Default Re: How did you get on?

Quote Originally Posted by peter crabtree View Post
    With no scheduled fixture on the list we decided to have a knock up yesterday on the GUC at Marsworth. A dry and mild day with very little wind which was favourable but the water was rather clear.
    With limited set up time I opted for pole and 2 topkits. One a positive rig with a .60g float and 16 hook for whole Dendra and one light rig with a .25gr float and 20 for punch or pinkie.
    I started by potting in some chopped worm and casters at 11m, roughly two thirds across and some liquy at 8m down the middle. The punch line produced nothing during the first half hour so half a worm went out on the other spot. Almost instantly I had 3 bites, all of which I missed... The 4th time I hooked it, a big crayfish!
    Still fishless after 2hours I tried the light rig instead on the 11m line with single pinkie and a small section of worm, this payed off with a skimmer in the net soon afterwards. My nearest angler had prepared groundbait which I told him was probably the kiss of death in clear water but he persisted in piling it in. He didn’t get a single bite and packed up early. I remained frugal with my loose feed and reaped the benefits with 6 more skimmers and 9lb14 in the net at the end which won the match....
    Second had 7:15:0 and 3rd 4:6:0.
    14 fished.

Simon

Quality fishing, your posts are always a joy to read.

PC. That looked a nice dry calm place to fish. My day today was a bit different. I made a bad decision. I fancied a barbel as the Trent has dropped down to be within its banks.
    I parked up away from the bank and barrowed my clobber across a sodden field. Unfortunately the surface water in the meadow was deeper than it looked. Half way through the new lake I just continued ploughing through as there was no point in turning back.
    I found a high spot to set up but the edge was a quagmire of slippery mud and pain! I only managed a solitary bream and packed up a couple of hours after dark to repeat the process of barrow watersports.
    Everything is now drying in the garage.
    Such is life I guess.

Back on the Soar today I’ve covered 2 odd miles today, drizzle and mist followed by heavy rain, but not overly cold. I’d drawn a blank over the 2 1/2 hours of fishing. River was up a little more than last week perhaps 4-6 inches. Decided to call it a day and walking back to the car saw a swim that looked likely. I’ve had a fair few roach and perch in the summertime from that swim it’s a little slack just out of the flow maybe normally 4’ deep. Dropped my stick float with a piece of bread punched from my largest bread punch, just past my rod tip. Watched the float circle round the swim for a while, you get to know how the float behaves with the eddys etc. Something didn’t quite add up so lifted my rod tip a bit sharpish and boom something was on, gave me a good fight. Kept getting back into the flow and I was on light tackle 2lb bottom with a 16 hook. So no way was I going to take a chance. After a couple of minutes I saw a shadow, then a fish came to the top. Managed to get my net under it and out it came. Not a PB by a long way but a very enjoyable and welcome fish. Certainly one of the best chub I’ve had in a few years from this particular spot.
    Was going to weigh it but it flipped on the mat and went straight back into the river!

Few photos of the river and my chub below

Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

For a change it was the Met Office that did for me today, not the M25.

Lousy forecast when I got up so I talked myself out of going....then it improved markedly for the afternoon/evening ( according to the bloody MO) so with mild temps and sw winds I thought the OBH zander might have a go...so off I went.

It was raining when I got there, it rained all afternoon and then, right as the light started to go and you need it to stay cloudy the sky cleared. Buqqer !
    The water, unsurprisingly, was coloured so I reasoned a oilier, smellier bait would be best....so it was sardine and mackerel sections. I did try roach but without success. Not a touch until 4-15 as the light went then 2 proper runs ( and 2 fish) plus a pick up and drop in the next 45mins. Then the skies cleared and it went stone dead. The cloud returned about 6-15 and I thought I might stand a chance of another fish. Sure enough,just as I was about to give it best the lh rod went off but...buqqer....it dropped the bait. When that happens they sometimes come back so I left it and within a minute it went again. Landed the fish and packed up.

So...3 zander from 4 pickups albeit nothing of any great size. The 2 better fish might have scraped 4lb...the other was smaller. Still....first zander of the winter and it was nice to be doing it again even though the weather was filthy. 2 on sardine....the other on a mackerel chunk. The abortive run was on sardine too so at least my thinking about baits seemed to be correct.

The downside is that my gear is soaking wet and covered ( literally) in mud. Guess what I'll be doing for most of tomorrow.

How did you get on?-img_1688.jpg

Heres the smaller fish. I only took the pic to show the kids what a zander looks like and down there you can never be certain you'll get another one...let alone a bigger one. The zander fishing is a shadow of what it used to be like but its the only place within reasonable striking distance for me. I know they're in the Thames but where they live is bandit country...not even the BF will go there.
    Last edited by S-Kippy; 27-11-2019 at 10:32.

Monday afternoon I went down to the supermarket wharf again for the big perch. Chopped worm in first via bait dropper then whole Dendra on the hook below a bobber.

First bite was a sail away followed by a spirited fight . Not a perch this time but a clonking roach

Got plagued by ruff and small perch after that, I was told by a reliable source that some perch over 3lb had been out there recently so I’ll try again another day.

Yesterday 11 codgers fished at Leighton Buzzard again but south of the town this time. Once again nice coloured water with a lazy tow fed by the nearby river Ouzel.

A soggy wet day with sunny spells. Bites from the off from roach and skimmers on pinkie whilst spraying squatts. Biggest skimmer around 2lb.
    Caught loads of roach but they were small..

Came third with 6:3:0. Winner to my left had 15lb with runner up to my right 10:3:0.

Blog Entries

The second blank in a row, I'm on my hat trick!
    Steady rain this morning did not deter me, a pint of mixed maggots bought at ten o'clock, then off to the local duck pond.
    I decided to try one of my homemade reed wagglers and fished light with double maggot on a barbless size 18.
    Frugal loose feeding of maggots around the float, I awaited some action.
    Canada Geese and Moor hens were busy causing riots on the top left hand of the lake.
    I awaited some action.
    A heron sat menacingly on the top right hand of the lake.
    I awaited some action.
    The rain finally relented.
    I awaited some action.
    Then, at last, I was forced to spring into action.....and prevent a massive Husky from eating my maggots.
    My little homemade float sat well in the water, the tip colour standing out admirably, but it never witnessed one bite. I changed depth, shotting, tried single, double, red and white maggots. I couldn't buy so much as a nibble.

How did you get on?-20191127_131442-800x600.jpg

Home at 2 o'clock, freezing cold and muddy. Will be back out to do it all again soon!

You are in very good company so do not dismay. The weather is abysmal, fish rarely play ball but, and it's a big but, it's better than working.
    Last edited by mikench; 27-11-2019 at 16:30.

Did someone say it might rain today. It blooming poured all day again. Determined to get a bite or two after my debacle on Monday on the Trent, I headed to a small water on the Wolds with worm and prawns.
    I was dosed up with a heat pad for my back which seems to have worked.

I had a couple of flickering tweaks on a bomb but nothing hitable. I experimented with 3 large worms for casting weight on a freeline. Bang, 5 of these at similar size about 8lb.
    So much more satisfying when you have to work for bites.

How did you get on?-001.jpg