Thanks Thanks:  591
Likes Likes:  78,894
Page 1426 of 1467 FirstFirst ... 426926132613761416142414251426142714281436 ... LastLast
Results 14,251 to 14,260 of 14663

Default Re: How did you get on?

Started (just as it got light) on a very quiet, beautiful part of the K&A canal, I fish here quite often but it is just so hard, no bites so walked back to a flowing pound where the Kennet runs into the canal. I found a slack and cut out a gap in the tall nettle stalks with my machete, the spot looked good but no bites (other than pesky minnows), only had flake or dead maggots with me. Walked back to the car and drove a couple of miles to a different stretch of the K&A.
    Float fished bread flake on a size 12 hook and immediately started catching. Ended up with 13 roach (mostly 10 to 14ozs) and a nice dace, though I missed a few bites and lost 2 fish which dropped off. Stayed on after dark for about an hour and caught a snotty of about 3lbs which for a few seconds fooled me into thinking it was a big roach. An enjoyable day but fed up with all the rain. Fishing again tomorrow.
    Last edited by peterjg; 28-11-2019 at 07:51.

Having heard of a big chub being caught from a local canal swim, I decided to go down there today. I haven’t fished there for a good few years and remember catching roach on the whip and punch last visit. It’s a canalised pound with the Colne running in upstream so has a left to right flow.
    The swim is on a sharp bend and features a split where the river rematerialises and forks off on the far side ...

Got down there at 9:30 having been fortunate to park quite close by. Set up a float rod with TDX reel which promptly seized up after I’d attached a waggler..I don’t know what happened but the handle just jammed then turned clunkily with a grinding sound... it was f####d!
    With no spare I had to reload the barrow and trudge back down the towpath. Luckily the little cafe by the lock was open and the kind lady let me leave my gear there while I nipped home for another reel.
    Unbelievably the parking space was still vacant and I was soon back and fishing. Needed a big crystal waggler taking 7BB to reach the split and an equally strong catty to ping maggots across to the target area. After a couple of hours trotting down the far bank I’d had just 2 bites, both tiny roach.
    Changed to a much lighter float and fished down the middle with caster and started catching quality roach. Stuck with this until it was too dark to continue. No big roach but at this time of year I’m just pleased to get a bite..

A well know swim. Haven't been there for 25 years! Used to be wall to wall gonks close in. Nice to see the photo.

Yesterday I had a much anticipated trip to the River Test as a guest of The Legend that is Dave Steuart and in the company of my good mate Graham Elliott.

Even with the Test racing to the sea we both had a shed load of fish some of which were out of season!

But the roach, dace, grayling, perch, chub and rudd all obliged for a very enjoyable days trotting.

A very special day.

How did you get on?-dave-600-x-394-.jpg

Had a walk around the town pit and the adjacent Colne today.

Saw just the one fishing...

Or two maybe?
    Last edited by peter crabtree; 30-11-2019 at 21:16.

Nice shot!

Nice photo indeed.

First time out for a few weeks, expectations were low....

Went to Lakeside at Cublington and tried the Carp lake...

Using a small 18g hybrid feeder with groundbait/2mm pellet mix and a variety pf hook baits.

Didnt even get a knock.

Packed up at 3.30 as bloody frozen and not an ounce of life had I seen, apart from the really annoying Goose that wanted to eat all my bait....

Only just now got warmed up....How did you get on?-img_1975.jpg
    Last edited by Hertsbloke; 01-12-2019 at 17:12.

It’s reassuring that I’m not missing much.

Quote Originally Posted by Hertsbloke View Post
    First time out for a few weeks, expectations were low....

Went to Lakeside at Cublington and tried the Carp lake...

Using a small 18g hybrid feeder with groundbait/2mm pellet mix and a variety pf hook baits.

Didnt even get a knock.

Packed up at 3.30 as bloody frozen and not an ounce of life had I seen, apart from the really annoying Goose that wanted to eat all my bait....

Only just now got warmed up....How did you get on?-img_1975.jpg
    Under slightly warmer conditions you would catch on that peg. You want to cast really tight to the island for the carp..