Thanks Thanks:  587
Likes Likes:  77,998
Page 1428 of 1455 FirstFirst ... 428928132813781418142614271428142914301438 ... LastLast
Results 14,271 to 14,280 of 14547

Default Re: How did you get on?

Quote Originally Posted by rich66 View Post
    I’ll try again next week but think I’ll bring my dead baiting rod see if the pike are feeding.
    Worst time of year for Pike try the Summer.

For one reason or another, I'm struggling a bit for motivation. I actually got up at a sensible time with the intention of going to a day ticket still water. By midday I was still slobbing about, slurping coffee, listening to the radio and mooching around the www. By 1330, I was still at home but decided that I really had to get my backside into gear. However, as it was so late, I wasn't going far.

The first trot through produced an optimism boosting grayling. It was downhill thereafter. Eventually managed a second grayling after losing two lunatic trout and a grayling. Ended up moving swims just to tempt one more grayling before knocking it on the head. Back in the comfy chair with a nice warm brew by 1600.

Pleased I went, but not so much with the fishing. I won't be forcing myself out of the door for a while. I hate winter.

A session scratching a few small rudd and a roach from a part of the pond that wasn't iced over. A loud splash as a kingfisher on the far bank took the plunge through the icy surface. Some local youths rustling around behind me retrieving some contraband. And a very loud bang when the MOD detonated a WWII bomb in the park. No bites after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Another Dave View Post
    A session scratching a few small rudd and a roach from a part of the pond that wasn't iced over. A loud splash as a kingfisher on the far bank took the plunge through the icy surface. Some local youths rustling around behind me retrieving some contraband. And a very loud bang when the MOD detonated a WWII bomb in the park. No bites after that.
    Another Dave, bloody hell! A quiet, peaceful fishing trip then?!

Aye. I don't think the bomb was viable because they dug a hole, put it in and blew it up and it didn't make a crater.

So when you changed from the float to the bomb, you meant it literally.

It was 5 degrees when I arrived at the supermarket in town, in the wind on the wharf behind more like 3 degrees so I hoped I’d get some precious moments.... Set up regrdless and slowly froze as I watched a motionless float for 2 hours. Used a rod I haven’t used for ages which I bought 25 years ago for the canal, a 12’ Silstar Ian Heaps light line match.
    Eventually I had a bite on double red maggot, a 6oz roach, then another, a perch.

The water was so clear I could see the leaves on the bottom in front of me. I didn’t expect to catch roach but had a few more as the light faded.
    This one fought like a Trojan...

Last edited by peter crabtree; 05-12-2019 at 22:01.

Well done Simon, you’re catching when many aren’t, including me too wimpish to get out there.

A day on the canal. Very coloured. A dry day however. Lots and lots of bites .Nothing big just fun with perch and roach. Plus two bonuses.
    The first was this little tommy ruffe. I have not had one of these for perhaps 20 or 30 years. Smashing little fellow.
    The second was a free air show from the Red Arrows practising overhead.

All the fish were on a pole and worm ....Mikench

How did you get on?-001.jpg
    Last edited by john step; 05-12-2019 at 23:10.

I will not be persuaded , ever.