Thanks Thanks:  611
Likes Likes:  80,149
Page 1431 of 1485 FirstFirst ... 4319311331138114211429143014311432143314411481 ... LastLast
Results 14,301 to 14,310 of 14843

Default Re: How did you get on?

Hello!

I am from distant Russia, namely from Kamchatka. I was born, raised and live here.

I love fishing, my region allows me to fish for a long year, in different techniques and ways. But fishing is best of course in the summer when salmon arrives.

It is not customary for us to catch salmon in the sea for spinning or fly fishing. But this thought haunts me, I see fishermen catching Atlantic salmon in other countries, and I think our Pacific salmon will also be caught at sea on these tackle.

I began to try, look for places, pick up baits, and discovered a lot of new things in fishing. For example ultralight.

Next week, I will write you a detailed story about some of my fishing. In the meantime, the opening remarks.

Only 6 codgers fished at Leighton Buzzard yesterday, probably due to the weather.

Luckily we had some shelter from the wind provided by the houses adjacent to the canal. Good colour and flow once again which is the main reason we fish here.
    I decided to try a different method, pinkie over groundbait down the middle. Balled it at the off with a kilo of hemp based dark gb and fished single pinkie on a B520 under a Middy canal waggler.
    Bites were instant, small roach and skimmers eagerly taking the slow moving bait.

Caught steadily for the first hour before the rain started in earnest, the bites became scarcer and a lot more cagey. I had to add shot to dot my float down to a pimple to detect bites. The stamp of fish improved slightly but none over 5oz.
    Weighed in 5:11:0 for 2nd place....

...winner taking 9:9:0 which included a big perch..

Up to the Wolds for some wagglering. Three carp and one bream. I did think about taking a photo for all the bream affectionardos on here but it started raining.
    I was pleased to see roach albeit tiny topping at dusk. The black death have obliterated the bigger ones but hopefully these will grow and breed.

I watched a tawny owl descend upon something at dusk. First I have seen here. Its usually barn owls.

After 2 days off the bank I had to get out today and plumped for the canal at Croxley.

I usually fish further up by the disused railway bridge but thought I’d try by the road bridge instead.

As I suspected the water was pretty clear so I opted for rod and waggler instead of pole.
    After feeding a small ball of liquy I cast in down the track with a small punch of bread. Very fast bites ensued which turned out to be tiny roach and chublets. A change to single pinkie only had the same result. Another change to big maggot found a couple of perch but no decent roach which are usually abundant here.
    Only stayed 3 hours and probably should have fished the last hour of light, but I had to collect my now repaired TDX3012 reel which seized up on me a week or so back. £105 bill for the repair by Daiwa was a bit of a choker but hopefully it will last for ever now?

I assure you, after a LONG time out the country fixing a ship, you will never find a man happier to catch a tiny fish. Secured a few days back from Rotterdam, caught one fish, went home out of the cold.

And it feels as good as it ever did

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

The river Colne in town was up a few inches and coloured Saturday morning. The temperature however was about 5degrees with a strong SW wind. After some thought I decided to walk downstream to the weir which is in a sheltered spot.
    I was pleased to find it coloured as it’s a high bank and I often feel the fish see you the moment you arrive..
    Set up 10’ medium feeder rod with a small black cap maggot feeder to a 16 wide gape. It didn’t matter where I cast, bites were virtually instant. Chublets and dace being the main species.

I was hoping for a big perch as I know they are often caught here along with barbel and big chub.
    No luck on that front...

Yesterday was a club fixture on the GUC at Bulbourne near Tring, a peg down with 13 fishing.
    Thankfully this pound is in a cutting so the wind didn’t affect us. I wasn’t so pleased with my draw as the early pegs are usually the better ones.
    Set up pole and 3 topkits for near shelf, middle and across.

To cut a long story short it was dire. No bites for 3 hours despite fining down to a 24 hook with single squat!
    Others were also struggling with a couple of them having some tiny perch and roach.
    I decided to concentrate my efforts on the long line across by the sunken branch which you can see in my picture. Eventually, after potting in chopped worms with a tiny worm tail on my 22 hook, the float dipped and I landed a small perch.
    In the final 5 minutes I tried lifting and dropping the bait attracting 2 more small perch, too little too late...
    Weighed in 0:1:12 which put me 5th overall..
    Winner had a 1:7:0 perch in the last 5 minutes on a legered worm. 2nd and 3rd had 0:4:0 and 0:3:12 respectively.
    I know some of you will think this type of fishing is not worth the effort , but in a strange way I really enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by peter crabtree View Post
    but in a strange way I really enjoy it.

And in truth that is all that matters.

Blog Entries

Yes,and ive fished many a match in winter leagues on the canal that fished similar to yours Simon,cant tell you how many times i havent had a knock until five minutes from the end either,sweating blood as they say...

I remember winning a section at Lady Capels on the GUC with 2 very small Gudgeon, caught in the last few minutes, that just about registered on the scales. Top weight that day was only around 8ozs. But like you I sometimes preferred those days to days spent the carp hauling on ponds. Having to work for the few bites made it all worth while.

It was so mild this morning, no frost and no wind or rain.
    Too good to waste so by 11:30 I was on the supermarket wharf.
    The canal was very coloured here due to the Colne crossing, looked good. There were many more swans than usual including 2 big cobs which were chasing the younger ones around..

Didn’t get a bite until 2:30 which surprised me, double maggot laid on doing the business.

After that more bites followed including this hybrid which fought hard, for a moment I thought I’d hooked a big roach...

The roach in there are really stunning specimens..