Thanks Thanks:  615
Likes Likes:  80,196
Page 1434 of 1486 FirstFirst ... 4349341334138414241432143314341435143614441484 ... LastLast
Results 14,331 to 14,340 of 14858

Default Re: How did you get on?

Quote Originally Posted by xenon View Post
    Talking of involuntary swimming trips, I once managed to kick a trudex centerpin into the grand union at tring. It was about 4 ft in the margins, but this happened in January-no way was i going in there.
    I can assure you that when you get back out and dry off you feel warm and glowing!! Shame I don't live in Herts anymore . I could have gained a Trudex.

Well this is a warts and all thread. Sometimes you just blank. Like today. I wet over the border into Nottinghamshire to fish a day ticket carp pit but for pike. I have seen some huge pike in there during the odd spring club match.

No pike action and the carp boys seemed to fare no better.
    There are few advantages to being in your 70s but a concession ticket of £5 for two rods is one of them.

PS. I wasn't asked for my passport crossing the A1.

Only one more trip till Christmas. Happy Christmas to you all.

Blanked,,,,not even a hint of a knock.
    Lakeside Cublington....

Meanwhile, my mate has a winter ticket for Pixies lake near hemel and had 5 Carp, all over 17lb.....
    Attached Images Attached Images How did you get on?-3a68164e-8016-4267-b44e-2ce3eccaf504.jpg 

Get yourself some worms mate???

A blanketty blank on the shortest day for me today, on a very coloured Erewash canal, would have liked to get something on the 'new' Gumtree purchase Drennan series 7 QT rod to test it, but it wasn't to be.
    As I was ready to pack up, a swirl and splash near the far bank right where I had catapulted just 2 small cubes of luncheon meat an hour earlier showed that something was about, so I cast close to it, but sod's law, a narrow boat came chugging past, churning up black clouds of sediment as it went, though they did appologise as I reeled in. will give it a go again in the next few days now that there will be a few nano-seconds more daylight to enjoy each day!

I enjoy my perch fishing but the Severn isn't really playing the game at the moment , with plenty of flood water rushing through . I had an afternoon below Shrewsbury , the river was at the top of the banks so I headed down to a large slack which had produced in the past . Tried worm on one rod just in case any perch were about , 2nd rod out with pellet and a feeder, nothing doing on the worm but I soon had a barbel on the pellet rod, 7lb . I was thinking this might be one of those barbel days , overcast and mild but 2 hours without a bite put that out of my mind. I moved to another favourite peg and the same thing happened again with a better barbel 8.5lb taking the pellet almost as soon as it hit the bottom . No more action even after another move . River is falling nicely so hopefully the float rod will be out over Christmas, but it's always nice to catch

With the rivers still out of sorts I am still going to my normal summer haunts to get a bite or two.
    I went to a small lake to put my Christmas pressy though its paces again.
    A new Browning pole. I tried all 3 elasticated tops today.

I had small roach,perch, 5 mirrors on the heaviest elastic and this cheeky chub that found its way through an inlet pipe as fry and then grew larger.

Two week old pinkies and worm. Last day before the Christmas ban!!

Attachment 8053

Seems an age since I got on the river, with a slight drop in levels, a spare hour this morning and some month old maggots still wriggling in the fridge a short trip in pleasant weather was in order. Canterbury was gridlocked yesterday with shoppers, today it was very quiet and I got to the tiny town of Fordwich in good time.

The chocolate coloured river was pushing through like an express train, my reason for this spot was a nice little slack I know of right next to the bridge. Cast a stick float out and it remained almost stationary just my side of the crease, not a single bite for the hour I had, good to get out at last though.

The forecast for tomorrow Christmas day looks even better, I’d love to return for a longer session rather than face the day ahead but I’d lose a years worth of brownie points in the process, a pint or so of malnourished maggots thrown in for an early fishy Xmas buffet.

Yesterday I followed the flooded Dorset Stour up to the headwaters then had four hours on one of the Todber match ponds. There was a match on two of the ponds and although my preferred pond was free I didn't fancy the facing breeze so opted for one of the two ponds set half a mile away where it was nice and quiet. Initially I wondered whether I'd even get a bit as nothing stirred for amn hour but the swim slowly came alive to regular feeding of pellets and maggots and as the session wore on the swim became more alive with bubbles. The first fish was a 7lb carp which proved to be the biggest of the day, and I ended up with another nine between 2lbs and 6lbs, all fighting hard in clearish water on 2lb line and a match rod. Plenty of fieldfares about.

A blankety blank today. Fished my deep res. with worm and pinkies. I had one of those stupid elderly moments today. I seem to be getting more and more of them.

I forgot to pack any reels. Luckily I keep a couple of old creaking jobs in the car . The one I used on the waggler rod is an old Mitchel 230 which I had for my 21st. That makes it 50 years old. Time has gone by in a flash.