Thanks Thanks:  597
Likes Likes:  79,066
Page 1436 of 1470 FirstFirst ... 436936133613861426143414351436143714381446 ... LastLast
Results 14,351 to 14,360 of 14696

Default Re: How did you get on?

Bright sunshine made the upper Severn stretch I fished with a mate hard going . We were targeting chub on a slowly falling river . I mainly fished bread flake , alternating with meat , tried quite a few swims through the day but didn't have a bite . Highlights were seeing a little egret before finishing the day with otter swimming around my swim . Great to be out after a week and a half with out fishing and great to see the river falling nicely.

30th Dec. Last day out of the year. Not a huge success but it was sunny and dry for a change.
    On a club pool with the remnants of the pinkies and some worm.
    Lots of tiny perch and two small carp until dusk then the roach fed. Had quite a few until darkness forced packing up.

One thing I have noticed and has been confirmed again this year is the behaviour of dab chicks( little grebe) Whenever I disturb one it usually dives for cover being an extremely shy species.
    However once the water cools right down they are reluctant to dive and scoot off above surface. Its only this observation that has made me realise that they can actually fly!

Had a few grayling and trout off the top end of the Severn, had to work hard at it finding a fish here and there, nothing of any great size but sporting - trout were nice. Think the bulk are probably holed up in the bottom of the deep pools still after the floods, settled water may bring them back out to their usual haunts, or not?

It was mild and still this morning so I was soon off down to the Colne in town. I’d been fishing for around an hour when I heard a familiar voice behind me, it was Skippy and big Phil.
    Skip set up on a peg just down from me while Phil went further downstream.

Trotting punch I had 3 tiny roach, it soon became clear the better fish weren’t having it.
    Skip didn’t get a bite at all and decided to give the canal a go. I told him about my supermarket swim and he was soon on it.

I joined him on the opposite bank and had a few roach, gudgeon and perch...
    Phil had the best day but had to walk a long way downstream for it.

Blog Entries

Went today on the deep lake,never had a touch until midday,ended up with 30 roach to 8ozs and 2 small perch,every roach had a pike trying to munch it,amazing....

Thought I’d have a last go before the end of the year & the decade the rivers dropped and just started to clear. A few anglers today all saying the same thing nothing much biting. The odd perch coming out.
    Tried one of my favourite spots one ledgered cheese paste with no bites for over an hour, changed to a bit of flake on the float. Had one small chub for my efforts. Please with that tbh I’m always happy to catch regardless of size etc.
    Sunny and cool but ok for the time of year.

Now let’s see what 2020 brings

Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

Unhappy Re: How did you get on?

Quote Originally Posted by peter crabtree View Post
    It was mild and still this morning so I was soon off down to the Colne in town. I’d been fishing for around an hour when I heard a familiar voice behind me, it was Skippy and big Phil.
    Skip set up on a peg just down from me while Phil went further downstream.

Trotting punch I had 3 tiny roach, it soon became clear the better fish weren’t having it.
    Skip didn’t get a bite at all and decided to give the canal a go. I told him about my supermarket swim and he was soon on it.

I joined him on the opposite bank and had a few roach, gudgeon and perch...
    Phil had the best day but had to walk a long way downstream for it.
    It was also bloody wet ! As well as a few roach I had the first gudgeon I've caught for goodness knows how long ( plus his mate) and a hand sized skimmer ( the horror !) . Good to see Simon and I can see why that swim on the canal fishes....it just didnt today. I was hoping for a ruffe as I've not had one of those for about 20 years but I didn't have any worms and it just didn't happen.
    Last edited by S-Kippy; 31-12-2019 at 18:23.

I had a chance to get out on the Severn today and target perch , The river was back at normal winter levels after a month . I headed to a stretch below Shrewsbury with my new pin and trusty float rod. A mate of mine was pike fishing half way along the stretch . I settled in my intended swim , 8 foot off the bank and a nice slack . I fed maggots and fished lobworms and soon had a bite , first fish of the decade a chub around 8oz . Bit of a wait before my next bite but just nice to be out , around 3 o'clock my float disappeared and I was briefly connected with a decent fish before the hook pulled , back in and another fish , a scabby looking chub around 3 lb , plenty of missing scales and a few leeches . I had set up a tip rod to fish a little further down stream but mine next bite was again on the float rod , this felt a good fish and charged around the swim , probably should have got out of the chair a little quicker as it eventually stuck me in a willow slighlty upstream , pretty sure it was another chub and a decent one at that. Managed one more chub around a pound on the tip rod as the light faded. Graet to be able to get out and do some float fishing , hopefully the perch will show soon

My last trip of 2019 produced an inglorious blank, needed to get the new decade off to a positive start with a short session on the river at Fordwich this morning.

On Christmas Eve the river was about to breach the banks, today it’s down to its lowest level with the colour dropping out. Trotted maggots and was catching a dace every other cast, in the ninety minutes I fished I caught a dozen or so dace, a few chublets and one roach, none needed the net but a enthusiastic Jack did which put a nice bend in the rod for a few minutes. The wind got up and was time to head home and warm up.

Although quite windy it was very mild here today in Herts.
    I met up with Rob (artist) on the GUC on the outskirts of Berkhamsted around 11am.
    Both of us fished waggler and maggot down the track and Rob was first to catch...

Shortly after I hooked a big perch which fell off, much to my displeasure....
    A few minutes later I was into another one (possibly the same one) and landed it successfully on my 20b511 to 0.06...

Later on Rob had another one...

We were both anticipating more bites as the light began to fail, but despite fishing until we could barely see our floats, it simply didn’t happen...