Thanks Thanks:  596
Likes Likes:  79,048
Page 1439 of 1470 FirstFirst ... 439939133913891429143714381439144014411449 ... LastLast
Results 14,381 to 14,390 of 14692

Default Re: How did you get on?

Y
    Quote Originally Posted by pePetterter crabtree View Post
    Over the years I’ve had many comments from skippy concerning my passion, canal fishing. Often slightly derogatory comments about gudgeon and snotty skimmers. After his success on the supermarket swim yesterday he was up for trying another canal venue today.
    I suggested we try the pound where Rob and I fished Thursday.

I caught 2 roach, a ruff, a skimmer and some perch including one of 1:15:0 and loads of gudgeon.

Ironically, skippy caught gudgeon after gudgeon, then to his abject horror, a skimmer....

Peter Crabtree has it right! Yes, canal fishing can be a pain. It can be just so difficult, putting up with the dopey selfish boaters BUT there are some fantastic fish in our canals - real surprises! There are big unknown fish out there of most species.

Blog Entries

After Thursday's blank on the Bridgwater I needed to get out and catch something. Had a few maggots, casters and pinkies left over so set off Saturday morning on the long drive to my social club pool, all 500M from my house Expectations weren't high with temperatures set for a high of 9C and winds of 15mph, it was fresh. I should have had better footware. Concrete pegs aren't a lot of fun for your feet at those temperatures. Loose feeding a few maggot and caster laying on a few inches brought me the odd small Roach and a couple of small Perch, no interest in caster or pinkie on the hook. Bites were fast when they did come but I had to cast around to get them until the float started dithering, eventually going under to find something a little bigger jagging about on the end. A small Crucian which I definitely wasn't expecting although there are plenty in the pool.

How did you get on?-tcc_crucian_20200104_121116_sml.jpg

Bites died off around 1:30 so packed up at two as I had a few things to do. Came away with 16 altogether with Roach from 1 1/2" to about 4oz, one small skimmer, two tiny Perch and 7 Crucians - I needed that

Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
    Blog Entries

@wethrough, Gordon, next time you go to a place with concrete pegs take a square piece of cut off carpet or a couple of rear car mats, put your feet on these the mats/carpet keep most of the cold out.Another way is to get a pair of "heatholder" socks, these have a tog rating and are very warm.

Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

29 roach with 5 around the pound is not such a bad day.....I'd be more than happy with that.

And I've only ever been teasing Simon about his cut fishing. I did nothing else for years and loved it but my fishing moved on so I rarely hit the cut now.....but its fine for the odd session for a change. There were never that many gudjin where I fished though. There must be billions of the little buqqers in the stretch we fished yesterday. Next time I'll have one out under a bob for those stripeys.
    Last edited by S-Kippy; 05-01-2020 at 14:09.

Quote Originally Posted by S-Kippy View Post
    I had 4 foot of water in front of me....2 and a half foot of it being gudgeon. Simon's perch was a cracker....cant understand why we didn't have more. Apart from the pongos ( which must have gone about 100 to the pound) and the skimmer I had one perch and a micro roach. Interesting day but the gudgeon did get very tedious after a while.
    Skippy. Nice to see that positive smile of satisfaction upon your bream catch!

Following a couple of recent blanks in dire weather, I went to Alders Farm today. I d already phones ahead to make sure there was nothing going on for Pines lake, which there wasnt. Myself and another angler had the place to ourselves!

Had a pint of Reds and planned on using the maggot feeder. Balled some bait around the first, smaller Island, as thats where I had seen fish movement.

Second cast, and Ive lost my maggot feeder to the tress - ****** !

Rummage in my feeder box and find a small cage feeder. So, using this is a maggot feeder with ground bait plugging the ends.

2 smallish Carp within an hour, both fighting well above there size (probably irish lol)...

Then the reel starts singing line off and its halfway across the lake for the first decent fish of the day.

Bit quiet after that, they kept moving around and it wasnt always easy to spot them . A small Bream fell victim as well.

Final fling and this must have hit the hook on the drop as I didnt even get to sit down.....

Niace to catch something and have a bit of sport in the depth of winter.....
    Attached Images Attached Images How did you get on?-img_2038.jpg How did you get on?-img_2037.jpg 

Looking at the last couple of posts you’d think it was Summer, global warming?..........another thread.

Blog Entries

Friday i had to make a trip to the optician in the morning and when i got back decided to make a small flask and nip over to the crucian lake,none of those,but 27 perch,10 over 6 ozs to around 12ozs,17 roach to around half a pound and a beautiful looking tench around 2lb 8ozs which wasnt bad as i started around noon.On Saturday i went to Bedford and came back to earth catching 12 roach to 4ozs and 5 dace,on return to the car i stood watching an otter diving just downstream of a bridge bringing up large areas of bubbles,i can only think it was after crayfish,which although i havent had them there i know they are present.

Quote Originally Posted by S-Kippy View Post
    29 roach with 5 around the pound is not such a bad day.....I'd be more than happy with that.
    On most waters I'd be over the moon with that. It's not terrible regardless, but it is slightly disappointing for the water in question.

Quote Originally Posted by markcw View Post
    @wethrough, Gordon, next time you go to a place with concrete pegs take a square piece of cut off carpet or a couple of rear car mats, put your feet on these the mats/carpet keep most of the cold out.Another way is to get a pair of "heatholder" socks, these have a tog rating and are very warm.
    Whoa Mark, who's always telling me to take less gear not more? it's possible to get heated socks you know.