Thanks Thanks:  615
Likes Likes:  80,196
Page 1444 of 1486 FirstFirst ... 444944134413941434144214431444144514461454 ... LastLast
Results 14,431 to 14,440 of 14858
    Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
    Blog Entries

Default Re: How did you get on?

Finally got out today, Went on the Oxford canal with Sylvanillo, he was wanting to float fish the canal. Anyway we met up at a local tackle shop and after introductions and purchase of bait off we went.
    I thought I was travelling light with stripped down seatbox and small bag of bits and single net bag, but after parking the car and walking to the canal I realised I was wrong. After getting breath back and pouring a cuppa I set Sylvan up , pinged a few maggots in and cast over them, There was a slight tow on the canal so I had set the float a few inches over depth to slow it down. As I was setting up, his float dipped so I put my rod down ,struck into his fish as I was explaining to strike at indications and a small roach was landed.
    I told him to cast as close to the tins on the far bank, this was mainly due to the way the light was on the water and it was easier to see the float on far side, I duly set myself up with trusty crystalite rod and old shimano aero match reel. After a few dodgy casts into foliage on far side I managed to land it in the water.It seemed a case of pupil doing better than teacher. It was hard going, changing depth, trying down the track and going from double maggot to single maggot, we were both on 0.10 hooklengths to 20 fine gauge hook,
    We managed a few fish between us, and it was an enjoyable day,
    Would I have caught more if I had used a pole against far side,? Yes ,but not that many more and only because I wasnt used to using a float rod on the canal.
    The next outing could possibly be light line and sensitive tip feeder/bomb fishing on the canal using my daiwa canal wand and shakespeare wand.
    Not sure if Sylvan would want to try pole fishing.
    We had a good day and it was a pleasure to fish with him.
    Watch this space for more outings,and maybe one could be on a commercial.

Quote Originally Posted by s63 View Post
    It had been overcast all day and it was almost sunset when the sun decided to make an appearance giving a golden glow to the winter bare trees.
    Lovely photo!

My first input into this thread (of 1443 pages!! really!?):

So today Mark & I managed to meet in Oxford. I brought myself, Mark brought himself plus a complete professional equipment for two
    In fishing or other activities there's nothing better than a coach who knows!
    Not sure how long for we fished but we stayed a few hours, on a stretch of the canal. Cold weather but good enough especially if that stretch compared to other more rural places where the wind can cut the ears into pieces.
    So during this session, which was my very first float fishing experience, the following happened:
    a) Mark caught a roach in about 2 minutes (?!), followed by a few other ones;
    b) Mark caught a big roach a bit later;
    c) I caught my first fish (a baby roach) using a float!

Float fishing looks like a fine method that involves attention and knowledge more than lots of gear - I wasn't aware at all and should have tried long ago.
    We finished early due to the lack of underwater willingness.
    Maybe not the most productive session of all times, in terms of catches, but to me... a good one. Thank you Mark!!

Amazing Mark I posted at the same time!!!

Well done the two of you. I see you met up at a Tackle shop so how many poles did you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by mikench View Post
    Hi Ian, yes it's Warford. With the rains and the blockage it was a mess and I hate mud. The levels are back to normal but the banks are still waterlogged. It fishes really well normally and I was disappointed today but it will improve. It's a cracking water.
    I went for a bit of a social with some mates who fish the Severn , One guy had a couple of carp , I managed a few roach and a skimmer . I planned to try for perch but I think the carp would be on the worms , some good chub in there I believe.

Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikench View Post
    Well done the two of you. I see you met up at a Tackle shop so how many poles did you buy.
    I didnt buy any but bought 5 ready made pole rigs to go with the 10 I bought yesterday.

Rob and I had another go for the elusive roach at Berkhamsted today. A slightly colder day with bright and sometimes dazzling sunshine.
    Once again we were plagued with gudgeon although today’s were slightly bigger.

The roach remained fairly elusive until around 3pm when the sun started to set. A rather large pike took a fancy to my keepnet at one point and managed to get it stuck in its teeth. It thrashed around until I tried to lift the net out and it fell off.
    Fishing caster laid on the far shelf I did eventually hook a bigger roach, I saw it flash as I hooked it.
    Then the flipping pike grabbed it! It wallowed around for a while before it released my roach which made a dash for shelter behind my keepnet.
    Alas the pike grabbed it again!
    I hung on and hoped as it cruised up and down, roach in its jaws and my fragile hooklink stretching.
    Once again it let go and I landed what turned out to be a 14oz roach. It’s injuries weren’t too severe but are visible in this picture of my netful...

A Trent blank today on the non tidal. I looked at the levels website last night and it seemed OK. However it must have risen overnight and was a different proposition today. I had one barbel rod and one zander rod out in a back eddy to no avail.
    I did see one of those vast flocks of starlings wheeling around at dusk though. I think they call it a murmur of starlings.

I think I will stick to a few local still waters for a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by markcw View Post
    I didnt buy any but bought 5 ready made pole rigs to go with the 10 I bought yesterday.
    You really shouldn't have Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by john step View Post
    . I think they call it a murmur of starlings.
    A murmuration of starlings Pete. I remember learning some odd collective nouns like that and an exaltation of larks. The wonders of the English language.
    Last edited by mikench; 12-01-2020 at 07:30.