Thanks Thanks:  610
Likes Likes:  80,140
Page 1453 of 1484 FirstFirst ... 453953135314031443145114521453145414551463 ... LastLast
Results 14,521 to 14,530 of 14840

Default Re: How did you get on?

With the recent water and weather conditions fishing the river over the last month has been more or less a token gesture with no results worth talking about for me. But hope springs eternal, so this morning found me on the bank again, ever hopeful, with the temperature at minus 2, I had to roll my sleeves down. I sat on this peg and as you can see, its tramming through at 6ft deep. I would have loved to float fish it but I'm not that good, so up went the noddy stick, and I needed a 2oz dead cow to hold it, plus the lead on the maggot feeder. Fished a simple running feeder with a 2ft 6in tail, double red maggot on an 18 hook.

Second cast produced this:
    How did you get on?-100_0844.jpg

Which was returned within 30 seconds, fighting fit, before any one starts banging on about unhooking nets and the like.

They weren't climbing up the rod but I was getting bites, but with a long wait. I counted up to 600 between casts. I caught a reasonable stamp, like this:
    How did you get on?-dsc_0031.jpg

And this:
    How did you get on?-dsc_0041.jpg

At 11am I couldn't feel my hands or feet, which is always a sign it's time to knock it on the head. So that was enough for me. Threw everything into the box I've had for over 40 years and just can't bear to get rid of, trudged back to the car and away home. Not a bad three hours, eight grayling and a big trout. Things are picking up. Looking good for Thursday. Pete.
    Casternets

I have a confession to make. I actually fished yesterday on a water I haven't been to for several months. The sun shone and the sky was blue but that is all i can say of a positive nature and I blanked.

Today however was a different matter. Gordon and I met at a chosen fishery on our club card and had the place to ourselves all day.

How did you get on?-img_5169.jpg

We both float fished and had lots of missed catches including 3 snap offs for me but we ended up with 4 carp apiece . Gordon may have had 5 and despite the persistent drizzle we really enjoyed it and being on adjoining pegs we could maintain fun conversations all day. I used the rod rest invented and built by Gordon.

How did you get on?-img_5170.jpg

Mirror carp were in the ascendency and weighed about 5lb and provided good sport on size 20 hooks and 2.5lb hooklengths.

How did you get on?-img_5167.jpg

I watched a small inconspicuous diving bird which was catching small roach. I was intrigued as to what is was and thought it was a young moorhen. It turned out to be a little grebe so a new one for us both. A really enjoyable day Gordon and a few fish despite the weather and our pessimism at the outset. Thanks again and I'm glad we packed up when we did as the rains increased and mist descended.

Quote Originally Posted by POLEMINATOR View Post
    Ok give it to me gently, what is drop shotting ?

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk
    It’s a method of blanking, that involves buying lots of new shiny tackle

Quote Originally Posted by rich66 View Post
    I'm pretty good at blanking, maybe I should invest lol

THE NEXT BITE IS GOING TO BE THE MONSTER.

Quote Originally Posted by rich66 View Post
    Pretty much sums it up for me , I usually end up cheating and use a real worm

Using a real worm isn’t cheating, assuming you’re “dropping” it in, if not.......who cares if it catches fish.

Quote Originally Posted by mikench View Post
    I have a confession to make. I actually fished yesterday on a water I haven't been to for several months. The sun shone and the sky was blue but that is all i can say of a positive nature and I blanked.

Today however was a different matter. Gordon and I met at a chosen fishery on our club card and had the place to ourselves all day.

How did you get on?-img_5169.jpg

We both float fished and had lots of missed catches including 3 snap offs for me but we ended up with 4 carp apiece . Gordon may have had 5 and despite the persistent drizzle we really enjoyed it and being on adjoining pegs we could maintain fun conversations all day. I used the rod rest invented and built by Gordon.

How did you get on?-img_5170.jpg

Mirror carp were in the ascendency and weighed about 5lb and provided good sport on size 20 hooks and 2.5lb hooklengths.

How did you get on?-img_5167.jpg

I watched a small inconspicuous diving bird which was catching small roach. I was intrigued as to what is was and thought it was a young moorhen. It turned out to be a little grebe so a new one for us both. A really enjoyable day Gordon and a few fish despite the weather and our pessimism at the outset. Thanks again and I'm glad we packed up when we did as the rains increased and mist descended.
    I do like that rod rest gizmo, love a bit of improvisation. You should have put a microphone between the pair of you and produced a FM podcast, would it have needed censoring?

No John , it was illuminating , intellectually stimulating and humorous ; no censorship required. I was using a Greys Toreon rod, loved by Gordon, and a birthday pressie from my daughters and very impressive it is too. A much underrated rod imo( and Gordon's ) and now discontinued.

Quote Originally Posted by mikench View Post
    No John , it was illuminating , intellectually stimulating and humorous ; no censorship required. I was using a Greys Toreon rod, loved by Gordon, and a birthday pressie from my daughters and very impressive it is too. A much underrated rod imo( and Gordon's ) and now discontinued.
    Must of been a bottle of gin involved if you were sat with a Gordon?

THE NEXT BITE IS GOING TO BE THE MONSTER.

Blog Entries

Another great day with Mike with better than expected results given recent weather. More or less the same setup as Mike with much the same results. Tried various baits but only maggots getting a look in. I can usually rely on bread at the venue but not today. The Carp appeared to be the only active fish about. Not a sign of anything else.

How did you get on?-twofish_210120.jpg

Mike in action.

How did you get on?-dnm_mike__sml.jpg

Mike and a chirpy Wren for company, catching - can't think of a better way to spend a day