Thanks Thanks:  593
Likes Likes:  78,978
Page 1454 of 1468 FirstFirst ... 454954135414041444145214531454145514561464 ... LastLast
Results 14,531 to 14,540 of 14678

Default Re: How did you get on?

Fantastic looking fish, I would be more than happy with them

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk
    THE NEXT BITE IS GOING TO BE THE MONSTER.

12 codgers turned out in extremely cold and frosty conditions yesterday at Boxmoor. Luckily it didn’t take long for the sun to warm us up a bit. My peg is usually a chub flyer but involves casting to the far bank in one particular spot, the hotspot had unfortunately become a bit overgrown and I lost numerous hooks and a waggler in the process of trying to hit the spot.

In the event I only managed one successful cast on target and did get a small chub around a pound.
    I quickly tired of losing tackle so concentrated on the sizeable gudgeon down the track.

Came fifth with 3:4:0...

Winner had 3 chub+bits for 8:8:0..

Quote Originally Posted by peter crabtree View Post
    12 codgers turned out in extremely cold and frosty conditions yesterday at Boxmoor. Luckily it didn’t take long for the sun to warm us up a bit. My peg is usually a chub flyer but involves casting to the far bank in one particular spot, the hotspot had unfortunately become a bit overgrown and I lost numerous hooks and a waggler in the process of trying to hit the spot.

In the event I only managed one successful cast on target and did get a small chub around a pound.
    I quickly tired of losing tackle so concentrated on the sizeable gudgeon down the track.

Came fifth with 3:4:0...

Winner had 3 chub+bits for 8:8:0..
    Looks like a decent bit of canal there, well done on your catches,

Would you of lost that tackle with the precision of a pole I wonder ?

Just a thought :-)

Rod, reel and float only on my codger matches...

Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
    Blog Entries

@poleminator if you look carefully on the far side, you will see overhanging vegetation and a couple of bushes, The only way to more or less ensure you dont get snagged is to first go as close as possible to far side with pole and no rig on to see/feel where snags are, then you run the risk of spooking the fish as you do this. Even if you find what may be a snag free spot and you hook into a chub, if the hook pulls out the rig could end up being tangled on far side with a ruck of elastic still stretched in the pole. Using a pole on the far side is not the be all and end all to catching fish, Casting a waggler as close as possible takes more skill.

Just the one today, started off on the mid pegs on the match lake but was told by one of the old hands that that stretch is and always has been a no no. Moved to a different lake still no joy on the hybrid feeder.
    Set up my short ledger rod with a swing tip and fished liquidised bread and punch, soon started getting knocks, after a few misses I caught my only fish of the day. Pretty little roach no more than 6oz but I was glad to see it

Quote Originally Posted by rich66 View Post
    Just the one today, started off on the mid pegs on the match lake but was told by one of the old hands that that stretch is and always has been a no no. Moved to a different lake still no joy on the hybrid feeder.
    Set up my short ledger rod with a swing tip and fished liquidised bread and punch, soon started getting knocks, after a few misses I caught my only fish of the day. Pretty little roach no more than 6oz but I was glad to see it
    They all count mate, nice 1

Although the conditions weren't ideal I have been getting cabin fever, so I went out for a walk along the banks of my local river with the lure rod. The banks were slippery, so footholds were all-important and took a bit of finding but I had a couple of half hearted missed takes and was hopeful of something a bit more positive. I came to a spot on the very soft bank where a wooden pallet had been washed up and thought I'd take advantage of it as something firm underfoot while I took a few chucks. Big mistake. It was a slippery as ice and yours truly went in, all in slow motion and as gracefully as any ice dancer. Just one leg, but up to the "groin". So, home I came, that squelchy welly feeling and mud stink bringing back my childhood.

In retrospect I kind of knew it was going to happen...
    Last edited by David Gane; 23-01-2020 at 16:50.

Trotting on the lower reaches of the tidal on a large river today produced some nice chub and dace, a decent sized pike grabbed one of the chub square across it's body as I was in the process of netting it but after a minuite of tug and war it let go. Luckily there wasn't as much damage to the chub as i'd expected so it went backk ok.

In the pic below on the chub above the two you can see the two marks where the pikes jaw was squeezing the chub....

Last edited by tigger; 23-01-2020 at 17:45.

Quote Originally Posted by David Gane View Post
    Although the conditions weren't ideal I have been getting cabin fever, so I went out for a walk along the banks of my local river with the lure rod. The banks were slippery, so footholds were all-important and took a bit of finding but I had a couple of half hearted missed takes and was hopeful of something a bit more positive. I came to a spot on the very soft bank where a wooden pallet had been washed up and thought I'd take advantage of it as something firm underfoot while I took a few chucks. Big mistake. It was a slippery as ice and yours truly went in, all in slow motion and as gracefully as any ice dancer. Just one leg, but up to the "groin". So, home I came, that squelchy welly feeling and mud stink bringing back my childhood.

In retrospect I kind of knew it was going to happen...
    I cannot possibly put a "LIKE" to this post. Hope your nuts didn't freeze.