Thanks Thanks:  615
Likes Likes:  80,189
Page 1464 of 1486 FirstFirst ... 464964136414141454146214631464146514661474 ... LastLast
Results 14,631 to 14,640 of 14858

Default Re: How did you get on?

8 codgers fished yesterday at Apsley near Hemel. A bright and sunny day with a gusty wind. I fished between 2 boats with a light 2bb canal grey waggler with the depths marked on the rod for the middle and far shelf.

Punch on a 20b511 to start with and just one bite, a gudgeon. Felt like I was in for a struggle but nobody else seemed to be catching much either.
    After an hour I changed to a 22b511 to 0:06 and single pinkie, a tiny roach, a bleak on the drop and more gudgeon.
    I needed a bonus fish!
    The final 4 hours passed quickly with little or no improvement. I tried feeding maggots heavily on the far shelf in the vain hope of a chub hearing the commotion, nope!
    Weighed in a poxy 4oz....

Winner had 3:15:0, a skimmer + bits, runner up, a big perch + bits..

Blog Entries

Blankety blank today on the deep club lake,unbelievable really,had 15.5/16ft of water,fish obviously had their mouths sewn up....

Struggled on the Basingstoke Canal today which was flowing slowly. Layed-on flavoured bread flake on a size 12 b525 hook. Had 9 small roach and 1 skimmer. The pike activity did not help (always a great excuse!) and I bumped off 3 small fish. Water temperature had dropped to 40F.

Cool Re: How did you get on?

Still windy here in Oxford but since we've survived the tornado, and as the day looked so sunny, I went down to the canal banks . Rivers have become milky again. Anyway I love canals!
    Very very cold but that sun was more than enough to enjoy.
    That was a light feeder session, using the great Ms Range rod.
    Started by seating for a while between boat houses, in each and every place that looked attractive, fishing either close the boat themselves or near the far bank when there are trees. Nothing at all.
    I decided to move further up, and after a walk I tried where the other day my tip became crazy. It's a place where boats are moored permanently (the entire year), I suppose it makes a difference but I don't know. But that was a good idea, since a small inhabitant showed up after about 3 minutes:

And during the next 2 hours I landed around 40 of them, some of them baby size some of them bigger. Which for me is amazing.
    Nothing to see with one or two fighting chub-steaks, rather a series of bites, strikes, pleasures. Really enjoyed this.
    I kept going until I had no bait at all. I can't remember who on the forum suggested to try bread punch, but that one must get a big hug.

What I've noticed, and because roach is new to me, is:
    1) the bigger fish were always taken when casting away from my casting zone, about 3 or 4 meters away
    2) about half of them was caught when I was moving the cage of about a feet, some of them biting on this move, some of them when I was actually retrieving the rig from the water!

Have a good evening.
    You've never seen dawn. The real dawn. Only the angler knows the exact taste of the morning, the taste of a dawning spring day's bread and coffee. He's the only one having the exorbitant privileges. (René Fallet)

You know that first one is a small Bream Sylvanillo maybe a hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by whitty View Post
    Blankety blank today on the deep club lake,unbelievable really,had 15.5/16ft of water,fish obviously had their mouths sewn up....
    There is hope for us all.

Blog Entries

Oh,i get more than a fair share,blanked on the Ouse the wednesday before,my river fishing has been pretty poor this winter,something to do with the yo-yo conditions i feel,soon be finished with,I only went to the deep lake because the rivers are well up and the crucian lake i fish is surrounded by big trees,in that wind a no-no....along with it being a cold clear day to match the cold clear water a recipe for disaster.

I know Alan as do I. A few of my waters have been restocked but now fish worse than before. I don't understand fishing sometimes but will persist.

Went to my clubs waters today, thought I’d try the match lake. There is supposedly a decent head of roach in it somewhere. Armed my self with 1/2 pint of reds and some bread for punch.
    Nothing much was happening so I set up a hybrid feeder with a mixture of micro pellets with a 4mm hookable pellet as bait. Not a lot going on with that either. Change of plan I remembered I’d given into a purchase of Nash monster crab liquid stuff so gave that a try on the feeder few drops on the hookbait. Results where definitely better. Had a small chunky mirror within 15 minutes another smaller one followed, then about an hour later a small but feisty common. By then I’d found a line with a few small roach and picked up a nice perch too. Not bad for a cool February day plus a couple of birds visiting usual Robin and unusually a pheasant thought my bait was ok too.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikench View Post
    I know Alan as do I. A few of my waters have been restocked but now fish worse than before. I don't understand fishing sometimes but will persist.
    We can only understand so much,the rest is a secret in the minds of our target fish,long may it remain so....