Thanks Thanks:  593
Likes Likes:  78,984
Page 1466 of 1469 FirstFirst ... 46696613661416145614641465146614671468 ... LastLast
Results 14,651 to 14,660 of 14681

Default Re: How did you get on?

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Bailey View Post
    Come on! How did it go?
    I think he must have used stronger gear and been dragged in and drowned.
    Jeremy Wade will be investigating next week !

ent down again this morning and started on the upstream pegs slowly working my way down.

No bites in any of those ....

Ended up on yesterday’s peg and had a bite almost instantly...

6:3:0 and what a tail!

Once again maggot feeder and treble maggot on the hook. A second smaller barbel showed up shortly afterwards 5:11:0.
    Had 3 chub later, the biggest 5:3:0

All in all a good afternoon’s fishing albeit with smaller fish..

The weekend’s looking dodgy and I’m dreading not going fishing, wtf am I going to do?
    Last edited by peter crabtree; 14-02-2020 at 22:40.

Blog Entries

I agree Simon,im chomping at the bit,my autistic son hates it when i dont go on a Saturday(routines),just cant think of anywhere safe enough....

I fished the Thames yesterday, it was only just fishable, more in hope than with confidence. Started at first light laying-on flake in a slack next to a reedbed. No bites so moved to another bigger slack further upstream. Had to swap to a feeder rod because the wind was now too strong for the long whip. I actually had a bite and caught a small roach. Missed a bite then caught a 16oz roach. No other bites. River rising fast and brown, water temperature was 42F. No other anglers (normal) and not a single boat or canoe (bliss).

I love the Thames but it is a weird river - in the summer it can appear to be so gentle and placid almost like a big canal yet come the winter it transforms into a raging torrent; always potentially lethal!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by peterjg View Post
    I fished the Thames yesterday, it was only just fishable, more in hope than with confidence. Started at first light laying-on flake in a slack next to a reedbed. No bites so moved to another bigger slack further upstream. Had to swap to a feeder rod because the wind was now too strong for the long whip. I actually had a bite and caught a small roach. Missed a bite then caught a 16oz roach. No other bites. River rising fast and brown, water temperature was 42F. No other anglers (normal) and not a single boat or canoe (bliss).

I love the Thames but it is a weird river - in the summer it can appear to be so gentle and placid almost like a big canal yet come the winter it transforms into a raging torrent; always potentially lethal!
    Couldnt agree more Peter,the Thames in winter is unruly at best and definitely not a place to fall into,i couldnt see anyone getting out of it,the banks are awful upstream of Wallingford,maybe further down than that...

With the Dorset Stour barely within its banks and still rising it was best avoided so I had three hours on a local commercial fishing for roach. On the previous trip the owner's son had told me that an old matchfishing mate had done well feeding pellets and fishing maggots so instead of my usual just feeding maggots I fed a few pellets. It made a difference; first fish was a 2-8 bream then a succession of small roach with one of 12oz. Across from me I had a Jack in a box angler who was fishing two swims and kept standing up/sitting down, making the better roach nervous but once he'd gone I had a fine pair of roach at 1-6 and 1-5, another of 12oz and another bream pushing 3lb, all on double maggot and a 22 to 0.08.
    How did you get on?-dsc00093.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by whitty View Post
    Couldnt agree more Peter,the Thames in winter is unruly at best and definitely not a place to fall into,i couldnt see anyone getting out of it,the banks are awful upstream of Wallingford,maybe further down than that...
    Down around Oxford it is equally awful, today nearly as in November. My spouse is a rower, me an angler, so we both look at the river levels frequently
    All backwaters/streams that are sourced by the thames normally follow the river behaviour.
    A few years ago at this time of the year someone died in port meadow.
    But in summer you find swimmers in that exact place, anglers complain about the lack of current....
    You've never seen dawn. The real dawn. Only the angler knows the exact taste of the morning, the taste of a dawning spring day's bread and coffee. He's the only one having the exorbitant privileges. (René Fallet)

Yep...

9am

3pm.

You have to remember that Sandy Bay which is the shallow bay opposite where Peter is fishing is Oxford's equivalent of the beach in summer and was so for many decades. Years ago at wolvercote there was a short dredged section of river below the toll bridge (by Wolvercote car park) that was known as Wolvercote Bathing Place, complete with changing rooms. I once organised a works match on Medley on 31st July which that year (1997?) was a very hot day so loads of swimmers, canoes etc. But the disturbance clouded up the water and it fished very well.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by peter crabtree View Post
    Yep...

9am

3pm.

Ah,the picture wasnt you out yesterday then???