Thanks Thanks:  614
Likes Likes:  80,181
Page 1471 of 1486 FirstFirst ... 471971137114211461146914701471147214731481 ... LastLast
Results 14,701 to 14,710 of 14853

Default Re: How did you get on?

Weather forecast was rain subsiding at 11 Am which was actually correct so that when I arrived at the pool with moving water running through it.
    You have to go where you can get bites in these flooded times.
    Worm on bomb over sprayed dead maggot produced 6 carp and a chub. The biggest carp was a low double.

Tucked behind the brolly it was quite warm(ish).

Had a long weekend staying with old friends near Doncaster and me and mate managed two days out. Original plan was for a day on the Trent and a day on the Don but that was a pretty obvious non starter.
    Took a gamble on the Saturday and went down to the upper Witham at Long Bennington (with a commercial very handy if river was too bad) and found it well up, heavily coloured and running like a train but fishable . Started on a swim about 100 yards down from the access , Ken about 50 yards above me, tanking through across but some slightly steadier water on the inside although with an occasional big boil.
    How did you get on?-img_1348.jpg
    Set up 9 no 4 stick and a small maggot feeder, stick went through well enough, quite a bit slower than the surface pace with a bulk of two thirds, but no bites on either. River had come up an inch or so, speeding up even more and boil becoming continuous so decided on a move. About 200 yards further down, heaviest flow on the inside and slower across without too much boil.
    How did you get on?-img_1350.jpg
    Wind too bad to even think of stick across, so little feeder went over about a yard off the far side. Eventually after an hour came back with a smashed maggot, hadn't seen the bite with tip being hammered by the wind (and having to fish with tip high to clear the fast water on the inside) but at least something there. Gradually started to get the odd indication and winkled out a few although missed a couple and didn't see a couple more, bites only little rattles of the tip apart from one drop back which resulted in a lost chub about 2 lb (hook pulled when had it on the top). A couple of the roach looked a bit flood battered...
    How did you get on?-img_1352.jpg
    Not a lot in terms of numbers but really enjoyed it, one of those days and conditions where every fish feels like a little victory.
    Mate had had a single roach with a few gudgeon and also something very unusual ; pretty sure it's a roach-chub hybrid (seen about half a dozen of them between us in fifty years of fishing)
    How did you get on?-img_1353.jpg
    Lovely little river, hope my next visit is in better conditions

So on to Sunday.
    Decided to stay local and just have a short day on a small stillwater a couple of miles from where they live, pretty little place tucked away at the back of a newish housing estate.
    How did you get on?-img_1355.jpg
    Only set up two pole rigs, one for 3m just over the ledge and one for 7m, 4x12 and half gram respectively. About 5ft deep on the closer line and 7ft on the further. Not going to go longer as forecast was for wind to get up strong again late morning (and it did...). Fed 2 balls of GB with dead maggot on the longer line to start, loosefeed only close and alternated between the two. And basically got bites steadily all day, quality of the fish getting better on longer line when started introducing more groundbait rather than loosefeeding over the initial balls. Closer line a bit patchy with mostly perch .
    But not a bad 4 hours catch without really having to work too hard
    How did you get on?-img_1357.jpg
    Mate had a bit more than me with three of the better skimmers/ borderline bream as well as a perch about 1-12 and some quality roach on his close line.
    Nice day out again and adjourned for the rugby and some beer.

Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

Bored witless at the moment but the thought of yet another day rattling around the house filled me with horror. So....despite almost terminal apathy I decided to get out for a few hours. I really didnt fancy it at all and I certainly didnt fancy the M25 so it was off down the Colne with a pint of the rankest maggots youve ever seen...or smelt !

Eventually found a swim that wasn't full of dog turds and proceeded to basically get rid of the stinking old bait through a feeder. An hour and a half and two roach later the rod flew round and I was attached to a mad thing which turned out to be this
    How did you get on?-img_1789.jpg

4lb 6oz and it completely trashed the swim. An hour later with only a dace for my efforts and the bait nearly gone I decided to try something a bit more substantial and even smellier...on with a boilie hoping for a barbel. First chuck and the tip rattled then pulled round. Not the hoped for barbel but a very respectable chub

How did you get on?-img_1796.jpg

5lb 4 oz. I was happy with that. Stayed for another 40 mins or so until the threatened rain started and as I needed to be somewhere else fairly soon I gave it best.

Quite pleased with that for a few hours. Got rid of the old bait and managed ( I think) to avoid all the turds. I'll know for sure next time I get my boots and chair out.

Mrs S was delighted. Not that I broke my run of blanks but that the maggot that has been stinking her fridge out for a month have gone.Still some pinkies in there but pinkies dont seem to smell....they last for ever too.
    Last edited by S-Kippy; 25-02-2020 at 19:09.

Cool Re: How did you get on?

11 codgers fished yesterday at Berkhamsted on a cold and windy GUC.

Wagg and magg as usual and the gudgeon were on the feed, had one virtually every chuck. I must have had around 100 along with skimmers some roach and a decent sized perch.

Came 2nd with 4:12:0 . Winner had 5 good perch and bits for 7:12:0

Quote Originally Posted by peter crabtree View Post

Wagg and magg as usual and the gudgeon were on the feed, had one virtually every chuck.
    A dam good fry up there then - gudgeon and chips when you got home

Today I fished a commercial. Yes Yes I know !!!
    I had a rece as I will be fishing a match there this coming Sunday to back the club match secretary up as he is trying something new .
    It was certainly not easy fishing with the lake a chocolate colour and the water freezing cold

The bites on a fine pole bristle were really delicate. It took a while to get my head around how fine I should fish especially after a winter on pike and carp tackle. I managed a small mirror, several F1s and the smallest barbel I have ever seen. One of Peter Crabtrees gudgeon could beat it up!

Certainly out of my comfort zone which is a good thing sometimes.

Oh yes and it chucked it down with hail and sleet. Joy.

It feels like months since I got out fishing, but I finally managed it today. All in all, it was a bit of a struggle. The venue concerned has been poor for me this winter compared to previous ones. I can only assume that it's a lack of settled conditions that is the issue because it's the sort of place that good catches happen even if you have to clear ice.

As it was the last time I ventured here, it was a bit of a struggle. The bites were cagey as hell, the fish seemed spooky and they tended to want to drift out of range all the time. Things did improve marginally over time, but it wasn't exactly all action.

Ended up with an OCD inducing 29 roach. Until the last hour, I didn't think that the better fish were going to show. Thankfully, four around the pound mark eventually put in an appearance and a couple of hours after I got home, my feet have finally thawed out.

Well done to all those out fishing. A couple of years ago I would have been like you out in all weathers.
    Funnily John I been thinking about fishing one of my local commies once the weather changes just to go fishing again.
    Trying to find one that as a good head of roach.
    Last edited by steve2; 26-02-2020 at 19:25.

Blog Entries

Went yesterday to the stretch where i had fished my last two outings and came down with a bang,I fished what apparently is a good barbel peg that had some good roach in it,not a bite,on float or feeder,I was the only person there not to catch,out of six,everything looked good to me,apart from the cold,hey-ho....