Thanks Thanks:  615
Likes Likes:  80,197
Page 1472 of 1486 FirstFirst ... 472972137214221462147014711472147314741482 ... LastLast
Results 14,711 to 14,720 of 14858

Default Re: How did you get on?

Monday: fished a stretch of the K&A canal new to me. Normally it is still but today it was gently flowing. Layed-on both flake and dead maggots - had only one bite which I bumped off. Snapped the tip off of a favourite rod when packing up (no not my Acolyte) - gutted. An old rod but irreplaceable.

Yesterday: fished the Thames which was tanking through. Arrived at first light, first choice swim was underwater! The level had obviously dropped leaving plastic bottles and rubbish stranded on the bank in places. Managed 6 roach to 15ozs and lost what felt like a goodun in a snag, had one very fat chub of 4lbs 15ozs. Water temperature 44F.

Tomorrow: where to go?

Hail stones, wind and rain hammering upstream on the Colne this afternoon. Had to go heavy with a 5BB crowquill and balsa Avon float to 6lb line.

The river was the highest I’ve seen it this year, creeping up the gardens opposite..

17’ Accy did its job controlling the float nicely in the upstream wind. Around 8’ of water on the far side where I was concentrating my loose fed maggots with double maggot on a 16. Trotting down to the blue fence on the landing stage.

What could go wrong?

Fished for 2 hours without a single bite, that’s what.

Looks like leger tactics would have been more suited Peter. When the water is coloured up like that i've found a moving bait a bad tactic, unless fished way overdepth with the float held back so the bait creeps along the deck.
    At least a size 14s and fill it with a dozen maggots .0

Just noticed your using one of George Lockhearts floats!
    Last edited by tigger; 29-02-2020 at 20:07.

Blog Entries

Went back yesterday,fished a different swim again,next swim downstream from where I blanked on Wednesday,it rained and rained and rained,the wind blew across and upstream at me,second trot a 7lb barbel,a while later I foulhooked another which ran upstream and never stopped to say hello,then I had another around 6lbs,I noticed the river was rising,making it boil,to much for the float,so out came the 1.25lb tc Bob James barbel rod and feeder,again i'm not going to mention numbers,but a very good catch of barbel between 4 and around 8lbs,with most being over 6,one rogue common carp around 8lbs added to the end result,another brilliant day and another swim I wont be going into again for a while,on return home I had to wash my coat,bib and brace,waterproof pillow cover(which I rest my deryair on)and fishing towels,all soaked and caked in mud,good job i'm not fishing again till Wednesday,lol....
    Last edited by whitty; 29-02-2020 at 17:28.

Well done, Alan, that'll teach them to all hide in the same place!

I was out the same day and fishery where Whitty blanked last week, and almost suffered the same fate, but in my case, through fishing like a pondside grden gnome with St.Vitus' Dance. My thumb had completely forgotten what to do, and I spent almost as much time unpicking tangles as I did fishing. A gusting wind that seemed to come from three points of the compass at once didn't help...
    I was fishing to a cunning plan, but someone must have tipped those sneaky fish off, for in the spot where the eddy peels off, and food should settle out, there were no roach; and whre the eddy returns to the main flow, and in the main flow itself, were no barbel. There were, however, horrendous snags there, that ate two of my legers - on ten-pound string! As part one of The Plan was to fish a big bait in the main flow while I set up the roach kit, that flopped.
    After an hour of thrashing the eddy to a foam with neither roach nor gudgeon, to keep hope alive, the float buried and something big went nod, nod, nod just off the rod-end, then sauntered off into the nearside weeds to find a disgorger. It was kind enough to pick a twig which actually came back to me, so i got my hook back and was sure the culprit was a chub. Tiny bit of bread on a 16.
    About three hours later, a trot ran on and on without finding the shallows, and some way past the next peg (empty, of course) it vanished, and a chub came very grudgingly to the net; it was just over four pounds, and I wasn't sure it wasn't a bearded wonder till I saw it. That was the end of roaching for me; on went a waffling float and a mussel, which waffled down to the spot I'd expected to produce roach and, later, sank; another very grumpy chub of just over four, but a different pattern of spots on its face, so not the same fish.

My float got beaten up in the scrap, so I took up the roach set again, and got the worst overrun I've seen since my beach gear got retired; five stray loops of ten-pound stuff will eventually surrender, but two dozen in three-pound gossamer ain't gonna play nicely. I had fifteen minutes left, but couldn't have set up a spare reel in time, so s@dded orft 'ome, grateful for the two chub, but in need of 'pinhead rehab for my stoopid thumb.

Note to self: cheesepaste for the next trip, and pack an egg-beater in case of moody breezes and a dumb thumb.

Quote Originally Posted by tigger View Post
    At least a size 14s and fill it with a dozen maggots
    Only a dozen: in a rush Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by mikench View Post
    Only a dozen: in a rush Ian.

I did say at least Mike .

Blog Entries

George made me a few Avons to my specs,brilliant floats and a nice bloke to boot...

The match on the commercial was cancelled by the owner "due to weather conditions". Cannot work it out! The only thing I can think is he didn't want a dozen hairy Ar$ed anglers squelching his precious sodden grass. I am glad he doesn't need the money.

It was switched to our our water which is hard at the best of times. I was tucked out of the way of Storm Jorgey ( if thats how its spelt) and got 3rd out of a dozen or so for some coin. That will pay for tomorrows beer!

Club fixture today on the GUC at Marsworth.

Didn’t get a bite.....

Again...