How did you get on?

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
Stu,
The minnows were attacking every offering, neither the Chub nor a small Perch I noticed, seemed to pay them any attention
??????

If they are surrounded by a high protein larder, they can feed when the mood takes them, the odd minnow now and again, then just digest and catch a few rays!

Sorry, I think you may just have to give it best for the time being. A dead one laid on may tempt a lazy one, sort of mini pike fishing.

Stu

neil1970

Reaction score
Very enjoyable day today.

I decided to fish for chub in a weirpool, on the maggot feeder.

Not the best start to the session when I discovered a pint of maggots loose in my bag.

I chucked the feeder in without a hooklength every 2 minutes for half an hour.

I then added a 6lb hooklength with a size 18 kamasan hook and a large fake red maggot.

3 tiny, but perfect roach came soon after.

Then a brown trout

Then I caught my first ever barbel - all 6" of it. Although chuffed it, it was a bit of a 'hmmmmmm' moment:D

Soon after I was into a better one that took 5 minutes to land.
Only 4lbs, but I'm absolutely chuffed.

I then lost what seemed like a much bigger fish to a snag, and on the last cast caught a 3lber

:w

---------- Post added at 20:10 ---------- Previous post was at 19:40 ----------

...and here's a nice bream that Simon (peter crabree) caught on a 6mm pellet last week from the Colne. (8lbs by his reckoning) :)

barbelboi

Reaction score
Well done Neil, always good for the future to see 6" barbel too............

PS Much better than an 8lb snotty...............:D

slaphead

Reaction score
Went fishing on a club water this aft, got my self sorted seat, bait, rod, reel etc then discovered I'd left my tackle box at home. :eek:mg:

Luckily, I found a small Preston's rig box in my bag with some ready-made hook links, a new weight dispenser and a couple of free Angling Times floats. :D

I managed with these items for the session, catching 4 small perch and a couple of roach disgorging with my metal fly disgorgers. However, at the end with no scissors or clippers, I had to resort to using my teeth to break the line.

I am now trying to consume vegetable soup through a straw. :eek:

denzinho

Reaction score
@neil1970

So happy for you mate!. Barbel are not very abundant down here, I would be ecstatic with the first one also. Then you go catch a 4lber haha, awesomeness at the highest level, well done :thumbs:!

That brownie has no red in the spots? Can anyone enlighten me with why it has no red spots?

nicepix

Reaction score
Went fishing on a club water this aft, got my self sorted seat, bait, rod, reel etc then discovered I'd left my tackle box at home. :eek:mg:

I went to the big lake via a friend's house to check the mole traps. In my haste to pack everything I forgot my bag of hook baits :eek: Had to make do with the few maize particles that were in the groundbait and zigs, none of which worked :(

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I went to the big lake via a friend's house to check the mole traps. In my haste to pack everything I forgot my bag of hook baits :eek: Had to make do with the few maize particles that were in the groundbait and zigs, none of which worked :(

Bad angling:eek:hno:

denzinho

Reaction score
My weekend of fishing started Friday afternoon after work. A new stretch of the River chew through a club membership :confused:. Used maggots and corn to feel my way in...
WP_20140620_004.jpg

View image in gallery

Caught 2 of these using corn, the forceps are 15inches long I have no idea of weight.

Quite a bad session as I was in hope for something special after 4 hours in the 24c heat. I saw a great over hanging tree which I just couldn't say no to. A cast under it with a link ledger just enough shot to trickle the bait through slowly......
Saw this come to the net. Still not delighted as I don't like taking trout on baits I decided that the Sunday I would take on the clubs local pond.

Armed with luncheon meat, corn and small prawns I had one fish on my mind....CARP!.... I have very little knowledge of what works and what doesn't. I used a washing line peg as a bobbing on a sleeper rod and a basic running rig with lead clips for safety. I was also float fishing for small Carp on the float. You have probably guessed it, the sleeper started peeling out line like nothing I have ever seen as a 1 year experienced fishermen. The result for me was heaven....
So happy with this being my first, weighed in at 7lb 9oz.

Lucky enough that sleep rod caught another 6lb fish but I failed miserably a few times on the float rod. I taught myself so much in that session about rods and tackle it's unreal after being taken through reeds by Carp and possibly tench. Naive is a really good word!. If you read this far have a cookie because for you this is normal. For me it was magical.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
denzinho.....Anglers with a lot more experience than you may well have caught a lot less than you (me, for example!) so I think you did very well and you did try different approaches to produce your fish which can only be good for the future....

I see you as a 'thinking' angler...............................

denzinho

Reaction score
denzinho.....Anglers with a lot more experience than you may well have caught a lot less than you (me, for example!) so I think you did very well and you did try different approaches to produce your fish which can only be good for the future....

I see you as a 'thinking' angler...............................

Thanks Tee-Cee.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
After almost 40 years of walking past and dismissing any thought of fishing there, I had a look at a c.500yd shallow riffle on my local Colne yesterday. It's usually shallow enough to walk across the gravel in 6" of water.
There's water on at the moment and I thought wearing waders I could get out and trot the far bank gulley.
So today I took my waders and gave it a go..
14ft rod, Abu 501 and a bait apron stuffed with fresh red maggots I got into position. Fed a handful of maggots by hand then dropped my rig ( Drennan crystal loafer and 2ft link to 20 hook single maggot).
First trot 30yds down the float buried. A pristine dace around 6oz.
Then 2 trout which trashed the whole swim....:(
No more dace after that..
Happy days or dace...

Last edited:

neil1970

Reaction score
nice one Simon.

I went for a quick evening session - 8-10.40pm

Started with the same method as a couple of days ago and managed a slightly sub 2lb barbel:)

Switched to an 8mm pellet with a fake hemp keeping it on the hair with particles and paste in the feeder, a bit of interest, but nothing materialised.

Still happy.

denzinho

Reaction score
Neil

It going to be tough pulling you away from those Barbel now isn't it?

Don't blame you though, Well done!

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Earlier than usual start for me today , was on the bankside just after seven , decided to do something more "worthy" than the usual carp only pool at the commercial compkex I went to , so opted for a pool I had never fished before and got the whole corner to myself. Chose a spot where there seemed to be quite a fizz on.

While setting up the method feeder , well away from the bank , I noticed some activity in the margin so dropped the rod in with a skack line , it wrapped round almost immediatly with a seemingly very solid carp on , probably around 8lb , might have been - never saw it hooked pulled after it dashed to the reeds.

Spent most of the morning and early afternoon trying to cast the method feeder accurately to the island in the middle of the pool, ( fished with an olivette to pin the line down ) did really well , I think , kept at it re casting every few minutes trying to build the swim up ( as demonstrated on a Steve Ringer video ). After an hour or so I began to get a bit a cast , all tench, snotties ( eeew ) and various carp biggest about 8 lb.

After lunch I weakened and sat on the carp only pool yanking very lively carp out the margins fishing a pole float on my feeder rod, the bloke who fished where I normally do had a twenty out , still I was pleased that the morning felt a little bit more than mere happy splodging.