Reaction score
Back to the pit for a couple of hours.
Perch were on their lunch break today.
12-1pm, then they went back to work.
Best one went a whole 14oz
:eek:

thecrow

Reaction score
I really hate fishing I don't know why I bother, got there at 8.30 am home for 10 am after falling in and tipping two pints of casters with a pint of hemp in the edge.
Wet suit for Monday and try again.

Should have stayed and fished, the margins on some lakes can be very productive :D:D

B

binka

Well….

What can I say?

I feel like I’ve just bought a ticket for the rollercoaster of fishing and sat in the front seat of the first car!

After the frustration of losing a big perch again last weekend I’ve just had a session that will take some beating, at least in terms of the sheer number of quality fish and I nearly didn’t go after being laid up and spending more time in bed over the last few days than out of it following a nasty chest infection that’s come about from that head cold from hell which reared its ugly head last weekend.

Nonetheless a potter in the garage early this morning revealed that the leftover worm from last weekend was in good nick and with the remainder of the groundbait ready and waiting in the bait freezer, everything seemed set for a session.

Only thing to do was make up a flask of tea and a few sarnies, I wondered about asking Cliff for a recommendation on the sarnies but thought better of it… A-herm :)

After rocking up around 10 o’clock or about half an hour before Jerry smells the coffee I was in and dibbing away under the rod tip on a very large water with a good six foot up to a steep marginal drop off and the first bite came just after I first lowered in and was chopping feed, in the shape of a 3oz perch which was to be the exception, size wise, for the rest of the day.

Following a short lull after baiting up I went through the “have I killed or cured it” scenario in my head and as I did the dibber just buried so quickly that the rod tip was hooping below the water as I lifted into the fish!

This was no recently spawned out excuse for a hungry mohican either and it gave it a full, chain rattling war grunt before I could get it in the net and after a quick weigh in it went two pounds on the nose…

And that was the pattern of things for the next three hours.

By one o’clock I’d netted seven perch, the smallest (barring the one exception) around 1 3/4lb and three over 2lb but it didn’t end there… Far from it in fact.

Problem was, I was by now having difficulty with the feed as a gusty wind had picked up considerably with waves occasionally lapping at the bank in front of me and hand balling wet chopped worm was now out of the question and so I fashioned a crude but effective pole cup type thingy from a one pint bait tub and a vandalised rod rest head, after making a hole in the side of the bait tub with me scissors I was then able to attach it to my landing net pole and cup it out albeit at a bit of a stretch…

Told you it was crude!

It worked though and the next few hours were pretty frantic with many of the fish taking the bait and bending into the rod as soon as it touched bottom…

It was also clear that a large shoal of very similar sized fish had honed in the feed…

By late afternoon I felt as though I had run riot but as the wind swung more westerly than the preceding southerly the bites slowly ebbed away and I was left struggling with an ultra light 4 x no. 10 dibber that was hanging at a silly angle in the strong tow despite putting 5BB down the line and literally holding the float up under the rod tip and so I decided to experiment and upped the depth by eight inches and threaded over the hook and up the line a 1/2oz bomb which was then stopped with a lightly pinched no.6 shot.

Sure enough, first put in, the float buried and the rod tip was hooping over again as another quality perch made its way to the net although this proved to be the last of the day.

As the rain moved in and seven o’clock approached I decided to call it a day but not after first snatching a stray 6lb Jerry on my improvised dibber/leger rig…

The final tally was twenty nine perch, all but one of them over 1 ¾ lb with seven on, or over, the 2lb mark up to a weight of 2lb 4ozs and, of course, the stray Jerry.

That’ll do me, although I can see I have some work to do in the smallest tench competition ;)

:w

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Extortionate.... 96p for bait!!

Mind you it was super special Dorset stuff and pretty much lasted all afternoon as well.

IMG_4114_600_x_401_.jpg

View image in gallery

Had the lake to myself and, despite the dull, damp weather, the carp obliged.
All commons off the top at range this afternoon with a few good looking ones maybe nudging into double figures.

A light "Avon" style rod and a loaded pellet waggler for casting weight. Bits of crust threaded onto the line, big bit of flake round the hook, slide the crust down to the hook and chuck it out there. Wait for them to smash the crust to bits and then take the slowly sinking flake, still missed a few though.

A fun way to pass the time whilst waiting for the rivers to open up again :)

rayner

Reaction score
Rayner....You are a brave man to come on here and say you fell in..You might be lucky and suffer not the mirth of those who think this extremely funny, or worse still those who will never let you forget it...
You're relatively new to FM so you might get away with it - let's hope so !!

All I can think of is so much roach bait going to waste - shame on you. Are you sure you made every effort to at least save the casters ??

Good luck for Monday !!

Thought some would be having a giggle with all the likes my post re falling in.
Didn't give a thought to trying to salvage any baits. Was pleased the only other chap on the small pond felt pity and pulled me out.
It will happen again this year if recent years are owt to go on.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Thought some would be having a giggle with all the likes my post re falling in.
Didn't give a thought to trying to salvage any baits. Was pleased the only other chap on the small pond felt pity and pulled me out.
It will happen again this year if recent years are owt to go on.

Get a pair of running spikes and you can rake the swim while your there next time.........................;)

qtaran111

Reaction score
Well….

What can I say?

I feel like I’ve just bought a ticket for the rollercoaster of fishing and sat in the front seat of the first car!

After the frustration of losing a big perch again last weekend I’ve just had a session that will take some beating, at least in terms of the sheer number of quality fish and I nearly didn’t go after being laid up and spending more time in bed over the last few days than out of it following a nasty chest infection that’s come about from that head cold from hell which reared its ugly head last weekend.

Nonetheless a potter in the garage early this morning revealed that the leftover worm from last weekend was in good nick and with the remainder of the groundbait ready and waiting in the bait freezer, everything seemed set for a session.

Only thing to do was make up a flask of tea and a few sarnies, I wondered about asking Cliff for a recommendation on the sarnies but thought better of it… A-herm :)

After rocking up around 10 o’clock or about half an hour before Jerry smells the coffee I was in and dibbing away under the rod tip on a very large water with a good six foot up to a steep marginal drop off and the first bite came just after I first lowered in and was chopping feed, in the shape of a 3oz perch which was to be the exception, size wise, for the rest of the day.

Following a short lull after baiting up I went through the “have I killed or cured it” scenario in my head and as I did the dibber just buried so quickly that the rod tip was hooping below the water as I lifted into the fish!

This was no recently spawned out excuse for a hungry mohican either and it gave it a full, chain rattling war grunt before I could get it in the net and after a quick weigh in it went two pounds on the nose…

And that was the pattern of things for the next three hours.

By one o’clock I’d netted seven perch, the smallest (barring the one exception) around 1 3/4lb and three over 2lb but it didn’t end there… Far from it in fact.

Problem was, I was by now having difficulty with the feed as a gusty wind had picked up considerably with waves occasionally lapping at the bank in front of me and hand balling wet chopped worm was now out of the question and so I fashioned a crude but effective pole cup type thingy from a one pint bait tub and a vandalised rod rest head, after making a hole in the side of the bait tub with me scissors I was then able to attach it to my landing net pole and cup it out albeit at a bit of a stretch…

Told you it was crude!

It worked though and the next few hours were pretty frantic with many of the fish taking the bait and bending into the rod as soon as it touched bottom…

It was also clear that a large shoal of very similar sized fish had honed in the feed…

By late afternoon I felt as though I had run riot but as the wind swung more westerly than the preceding southerly the bites slowly ebbed away and I was left struggling with an ultra light 4 x no. 10 dibber that was hanging at a silly angle in the strong tow despite putting 5BB down the line and literally holding the float up under the rod tip and so I decided to experiment and upped the depth by eight inches and threaded over the hook and up the line a 1/2oz bomb which was then stopped with a lightly pinched no.6 shot.

Sure enough, first put in, the float buried and the rod tip was hooping over again as another quality perch made its way to the net although this proved to be the last of the day.

As the rain moved in and seven o’clock approached I decided to call it a day but not after first snatching a stray 6lb Jerry on my improvised dibber/leger rig…

The final tally was twenty nine perch, all but one of them over 1 ¾ lb with seven on, or over, the 2lb mark up to a weight of 2lb 4ozs and, of course, the stray Jerry.

That’ll do me, although I can see I have some work to do in the smallest tench competition ;)

:w

A tale told well, cracking fish and improvisation MacGyver would've been proud of. Brilliant!

flightliner

Reaction score
No "big guns" at eldarado today, so busy yesterday so it was "tackle as normal", float gear but this time with the old trusty Trudex, fishing off the rod end seemed a shame not to use it at least the once.
An almost identical day to my first crucian trip with bites registering in minutes that gave me two cru's and a male Tench. A slow period then a string of gorgeous gold bars and another male Tench with enormous gonads, smaller than the first but definately with the bragging rights.
Ccome two pm and again things slow down but by then I was on cru number fourteen and all save one like peas in a pod.
Anyway I went for another walk around the lake for an hour or so then sat back for a last go.
two more fish and with only one to take to equel last weeks tally I told myself that when it came I would leave for home.
Typical I never had a bite so I decided to call it a say and retrieve my line--------- surprise, there was a fish on, just like all the others so honour satisfied.
In total thirty nine crucians in three trips, several Tench and Bream also in the mix.
one thing I dont ever remember seeing happened on two occasions today ,I saw two crucians taking flies from the surface, fascinating stuff.

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
Tried my new NGT travel carp rod today for....carp as a sleeper whilst doing a bit of floater fishing. ( See thread about NGT Tackle)

I went to an easy club water. Had 8 to high singles plus a grassy on floaters and another 5 about the same size on boilie on the rod being tried.

Its very nice especially the price. I have had pike on it but wanted to feel it under more pressure that carp exert.

Back to decorating tomorrow:(:(

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
A trip to Farmoor for a spot of trite fishing yesterday evening. I'm not a fan of Friday afternoon scrambles and this one lived up to expectations. Best summed up as A Comedy of Errors !

Firstly the damned Dept of Transport had got wind of my intentions and quickly decided to dig up the Oxford ring road. This put me in a queue on the A40 instead of the M25 and a trip that should have taken no more than an hour took well over two. It was very much windier than forecast and i struggled to get my flies to fish properly....not least because I'd run out of Leedasink and couldn't get my line under the surface. The trite were unimpressed with such rubbish presentation as they were in the top 2 feet feeding on hatching buzzers. I struggled.

Eventually a very nice man came along and I blagged some sinkant from him. What a difference....I was into fish immediately. Around 7-30 the wind started to ease and I ended up with 10 lovely trite and lost 4 others.....one of which was an absolute beast of a thing that at one point had well over 60 yards of backing out. The ones that run and run rarely stay on . I was happy with my return given a purple patch towards the end when I was catching on the dray flay . Very proper !

However....the Dept of Transport had prepared a surprise for me going home and shut the A40. No diversion signs...nothing. I'm poodling along on auto pilot when suddenly there are shops where there should not be shops and I end up in the John Radcliffe Hospital. God alone knows how because it's on the other side of the road in the opposite direction !

So I retraced my streps,found a sign for A40 London and off I went. Road closed ! What ? I took the only road available (still no diversion signs) and followed an equally bewildered bloke off into the Oxfordshire countryside. I had about 8 cars following me too ! It was as black as your hat....Oxford was nowhere to be seen and I thought any second now and this bloke is going to turn into his drive and I'm buqqered. Fortunately he didn't and after a 45 min magical mystery tour of Oxfordshire villages suddenly the A40 reappeared and I knew where I was.

So.....once again a journey that should have taken an hour took well over 2 and my "quick trip" to Farmoor meant I spent longer in the car than I did on the bank. The fishing, once I'd sorted me self out, was great....the journey very much less so.

First thing I did when I got in was to order some more Leedasink ! Think I might just about have scraped a Crabtree award for this performance.

Last edited:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I was tempted to give you one of my special awards but thought better of it until I noticed you had posted this tale of woe no less than 3 times.:eek:mg:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Skippy, I would imagine the reason the ones that run and run (and feel like huge fish) and that rarely stay on is because they're more than likely foul hooked. It happens like that with barbel when float fishing but unfortunatly the hooks very often stay attatched to the barbel and you have to struggle to land them.

hammer_jamie

Reaction score
Well I had a cracking morning over the lakes this morning, 14 Carp & 1 Rudd?

Baits used - Sausage, Sweetcorn bread.

Catch rates
2 - bread
9- sausage
2 - sweet corn & sausage

0 - Just sweetcorn and boy did I try bloody fish! So picky :D

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Now that's what I call a cupping kit !

---------- Post added at 13:49 ---------- Previous post was at 13:45 ----------

Skippy, I would imagine the reason the ones that run and run (and feel like huge fish) and that rarely stay on is because they're more than likely foul hooked. It happens like that with barbel when float fishing but unfortunatly the hooks very often stay attatched to the barbel and you have to struggle to land them.

Yes...sometimes they are but when you are on the dray flay they tend to charge off as they are already on the surface. Last night's thug was fairly hooked as he did a few Polaris impressions in front of me before heading for Bicester.