How did you get on?

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Forget the dog...I've been trying to decide if Sumtime has been sitting around for 40 minutes, just so he could be the one who posts number 4000 - wouldn't surprise me in the least !!
In actual fact I'm just miffed 'cos I was out when 3999 came up - drat !!

....hope he's not expecting a prize - that would tee me off !!!

greenie62

Reaction score
...I've been trying to decide if Sumtime has been sitting around for 40 minutes, just so he could be the one who posts number 4000 .....

:confused: - on my connection to the forum - I've got S-Kippy posting as 4000 and Sumtime as 4001 :eek::eek:

I'm guessing that you'd be even more pee-ed off if S-Kippy got the prize :rolleyes::eek::eek:mg:

Can the 'permalink' numbers be altered or different for different users? Perhaps it's a conspiracy to upset you! ;):eek::eek:mg:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Club do on the Aylesbury arm in Aylesbury today. Sunny and warm with no wind to speak of.
To my left.....

To my right..

Cupped a small ball of groundbait and some dead pinkies across on the far shelf then started down the middle on punch rig. Lots of bites but I bumped 4 before finally hooking a small skimbob. A couple more followed then a boat came through so I had a look on the far shelf line with double maggot and hooked a decent skimmer. One more small one then predictably someone flicked the switch. It remained off for the following 4 hours:mad:

Weighed in 2lb:1 for 5th out of 10....

8lb won it with 5lb and 3:9 following up....

Chefster

Reaction score
Club do on the Aylesbury arm in Aylesbury today. Sunny and warm with no wind to speak of.
To my left.....

To my right..

Cupped a small ball of groundbait and some dead pinkies across on the far shelf then started down the middle on punch rig. Lots of bites but I bumped 4 before finally hooking a small skimbob. A couple more followed then a boat came through so I had a look on the far shelf line with double maggot and hooked a decent skimmer. One more small one then predictably someone flicked the switch. It remained off for the following 4 hours:mad:

Weighed in 2lb:1 for 5th out of 10....

8lb won it with 5lb and 3:9 following up....
Nice fish,that big skimmer,pity you couldnt of found a few more,before they flicked the switch mate:(

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Thanks Jerry, considering its proximity to the town centre it was indeed enchanting. Heard, then saw a Whitethroat in the bushes behind me, a moorhen tugging reeds back and forth to her nest and some ducklings being constantly rounded up by Mrs mallard...

Not to mention the lovely snot ridden, but somewhat enchanting skimmers...

Chefster

Reaction score
Thanks Jerry, considering its proximity to the town centre it was indeed enchanting. Heard, then saw a Whitethroat in the bushes behind me, a moorhen tugging reeds back and forth to her nest and some ducklings being constantly rounded up by Mrs mallard...

Not to mention the lovely snot ridden, but somewhat enchanting skimmers...

i hope the ducks didnt poo everywhere,or sir Lord Paul wont go there:D:D

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Just a little note

Out today normal place nice collection of the normal suspects ie roach bream tench crucians & perch ( no carp today)

any how i got a picture dont run and hide :wh i dont bite :D it was meant to show what was quite a nice Tench but it was next to impossible to keep still hence the somewhat concealed fish it fought like billyoh both in and out of the water

techish.jpg

View image in gallery

Note the Faded cap it got a pond dipping not long ago :eek:mg:

PG ...

qtaran111

Reaction score
I was lucky enough to be down in Kent again this weekend at my parents place, so my dad and I headed off to a local club water, Repton Ponds. It's a beautiful old lake set in the grounds of Cobham Hall.

The weather was all over the place with sun, rain, clouds and wind changing every five minutes. However it was a great day's fishing with plenty of rudd, perch, bream and some small carp to keep things interesting.

IMG_6435-L.jpg

Top lake, pretty much what angling dreams are made of

IMG_6460-L.jpg

When it was sunny the rudd came out to play, taking maggot & worm on the drop

IMG_6451-L.jpg

Middle of the lake was bream territory

IMG_6455-L.jpg

Fish of the day, pops was over the moon with this crucian

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
It looks a place full of history......somewhere you can just sit and it doesn't matter a jot if you catch, or not. Interesting building in the background as well.

Doubtless you'll remember the day long into the future and it will bring a smile to your face, your dad likewise...

greenie62

Reaction score
Other evening - I went on the peas again!
This time trying the petit pois rather than the common or Garden variety - worked just as well - dropping down to an 18 hook. Only difference I found between the 2 types was that the smaller ones seemed to be more inclined to float even when well thawed :eek:

Going for the lightweight theme - I used a 3m whip - which was great fun with the succession of rudd, roach and skimmers - none of which were small enough to swing-in to hand! Also had a couple of Cru-hybrids and goldies upto a pound, and a bit of a battle with a Tench just under 2lb. I then got this:
SkinnyFish_zpst4mjvbto.jpg

A gob like a Chub and the body of a 'Slimmer-of-the-week':rolleyes:

My fun ended when the Carp moved in and I got the 2lb hooklength tested beyond its capacity :eek: - the threatened rain started just then and the thought of trying to tie another hook on in the fading light couldn't beat the thought of din-dins! :rolleyes::eek:mg:

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
After a barrelful of carp last week, I was actually hoping for some roach today, I don't know why, just woke up and had roach on my mind.

I opted for a swim, on my usual commercial, from which I've had a few decent samples mixed in with the usual carp and skimmers.

I had my experimental head on and, courtesy of Mike, I took a can of garden peas for the first time, along with corn, cubed Spam (smaller this time, 4mm for feed, 6mm for hook), hemp and caster.

The usual pole approach with a slightly lighter rig, 5lb main down to a 16 to 3.8 trace. The float was a pencil thin Colmic pattern, very little resistance at all.

After potting in a mix of the above, I pushed out a single pea towards the sunken tree stump in front of me and a carp gave its presence away, moving away at the top.

Action was.....well, er, non existent, to be fair. I thought about changing baits but, no, I stuck with it. After half an hour or so, the float slid away and a kicking specimen of some 5oz of skimmer was brought back, my first ever pea catch. Cheers to Mike.

I couldn't mind a slow session today, the bird life was absolutely spectacular and other flying "things" provided something of a distraction, an RAF Hercules, two helicopters I think may have been Merlins and a microlight that, even from a couple of thousand feet, looked dicey.

Birds wise, warblers, whitethroats, the works.

I opted for a change though eventually as I knew, in my heart, I had to to up the run rate. Changing to a single of grain of corn had exactly that effect, a succession of skimmers from 3oz to around a pound and a quarter interspersed with the odd small carp to around 4lbs.

I did get smashed up by a couple of bigger samples and swapped over to a heavier rig with a 14 on to which two 6mm spam cubes.

The carp moved in, from a pound up to around five and the skimmers too, a couple maybe pushing a pound and a half. I found myself willing the roach, out loud - to little effect.

The species count was eventually raised by a perch of around 4oz on spam but sadly, for me at least, the roach were absent.

Another hour or so and my patience was rewarded, sort of, with a rudd around 4oz.

More skimmers and the odd carp continued and, right at the end, I did pick up a roach - all 6oz or so of it.

I'd enjoyed today, from a swim that Tim and I fished regularly but which, for reasons I can't quite pin down, never seems to contain the tench and barbel the lake holds. I mean it looks like it should, I guess the noisy neighbours of carp and the hordes of juvenile bream have the separation effect.

Next week and it's June and the glorious 16th on the horizon. That said, I think maybe a session on the old lake will be pencilled in - a chance of decent tench, bigger bream and, if the local advice was right, prawns and perch might be a real possibility.

Till then, cheers and tight lines. :)

barbelboi

Reaction score
I decided to return to the other pond in the middle of nowhere and yomped across the mile and a half of meadow and then the mile of woodland. At least the cows had the decency to stand up when I passed this time.....
cows23may16_zps3unmjwuc.jpg

I’m no Dan’l Boone but I’m starting to get the feeling that it’s only me and the wild critters that are cutting a track through these backwoods.
tracks23may16_zpszbjkd9p7.jpg

I arrived bank side about 11am (oh, come on - it is a long walk:wh) and set up along the marginal reeds and proceeded to catch a couple of dozen roach and a couple of tench that were unfortunately much too big to put even more pressure on Binks;). I’m also starting to get the feeling that there are no crucians in this pond so I’ll head back to the other pond in the woods on Thursday for some more. A buzzard and a red kite brought a bit of aerial entertainment – plenty of rabbits on the ground also.
pond23may16_zpsufkscb5y.jpg

pondroach%2023%20may16_zpsjtmgkfzi.jpg

Packed up about 3pm for the yomp back to the car – and to pinch a quote from the late Samuel Goldwyn, it certainly seems like a place ‘where the hand of man has never set foot’

Chefster

Reaction score
Hello!!,we were on Extension pool today,for the monday open,i drew a good peg,21,but with the wind blowing out of it,i didnt fancy it for a big weight:(
started as usual on top 2,on pellet,and caught stockies and odd F1,tried edges on top 2+1,same odd F1,s and a run of stockies
I fed 6m line with caster,from the off,and went on it mid-match,and caught F1,s on and off till the end...when the scales came ,i put 75-12-0,on them,1st and 2nd came from my section 21-39,so i picked up for the section win,by double default:D,and 4th overall in the match...106lb won from peg 29,88lb was 2nd from peg 27,and 84lb 3rd from peg 7...so i was way off the mark,but a decent days fishing,in spells.,18 fished,....New pool tomorrow,tues open..must try harder..Tight lines,Gazza:D

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Certainly a nice looking spot Gerry, and if looks are anything to go by, it should be stuffed with 3lb crucians..........or 3lb roach !!

Great to get a bit of exercise in as well...............