How did you get on?

barbelboi

Reaction score
The pic was taken on wide angle Tony, the pond is no more than twice to size of the farm pond that we both know - but without the island..........

B

binka

I’m still milking my great run on the perch whilst I know where they are and before they disperse as the weather gets warmer.

In fact I’m struggling to remember any better perch fishing in my life, over the last two trips I’ve taken over fifty fish above a pound and three quarters and eleven on or over two pounds including this one at 2 – 6…

A bit of a heart stopping moment during the morning as I thought I might have hooked the big one and so I took it extra easy on the two pound ten ounce bottom but it turned out to be this fella instead…

All taken right under the rod tip again.

Lovely… :w

Chefster

Reaction score
Dreadful,woeful day,drew worst peg on New ,peg 5,fished it totally wrong,too narrow to put so many lines in,i just split what few fish that were there up,weighed 36lb odd, match winner came from peg 10,Steve Johnson,72lb,pete hancox had 66lb from peg 34,Mark Capewell 51lb peg 1,...i was in 2 minds whether to bother,when i drew there,wished i hadnt ,at least i think i know where i went wrong..should of just fished 2 lines,top kit in front,and worm slop over,instead of fishing multiple lines,all i managed to do was mess the peg up,cos its so narrow,and they were the only lines i caught off..18 F1,s a few skimmers,perch,and ide..I want to forget that one,only saving grace was i beat the guy on 7,which is a flyer,he had 28lb,dont know what he was playing at,on that peg,he must of had an off day as well:rolleyes::eek::eek:anyway,no fishing for a while as got a lot of work on rest of this week,and next week....Anyway,enough moaning,id rather have a bad day fishing,than be at work!!:Dtight lines,Gazza

wa1115

Reaction score
Not posted for a while due to not being able to fish as I have been on intravenous antibiotics for the last 3 months which knocked me for 6, but today was going to be all or bust, I know this post may get a few people's backs up as their is a kayak involved but I don't care, as it was it's maiden voyage as well. Off I went in search of Wild Brown Trout, armed with a few spinners (oh and the kayak) and a bit of an idea where I may find them.
IMG-20160524-WA0010_zps4a5wraho.jpg~original

And it didn't take long before I was into fish, I have to say this was one of my best fishing days / couple of hours I have had ?

IMG-20160524-WA0009_zpscrbzq2jn.jpg~original

IMG_-8zyzhz_zpsuyxqmied.jpg~original

IMG-20160524-WA0014_zpst9s0yyas.jpg~original

Was just great to get out and be catching again ?. All in all I had 9 and lost 2, found it difficult to take pictures, balance, and hold fish at the same time haha.

thecrow

Reaction score
Not posted for a while due to not being able to fish as I have been on intravenous antibiotics for the last 3 months which knocked me for 6, but today was going to be all or bust, I know this post may get a few people's backs up as their is a kayak involved but I don't care, as it was it's maiden voyage as well. Off I went in search of Wild Brown Trout, armed with a few spinners (oh and the kayak) and a bit of an idea where I may find them.
IMG-20160524-WA0010_zps4a5wraho.jpg~original

And it didn't take long before I was into fish, I have to say this was one of my best fishing days / couple of hours I have had ?

IMG-20160524-WA0009_zpscrbzq2jn.jpg~original

IMG_-8zyzhz_zpsuyxqmied.jpg~original

IMG-20160524-WA0014_zpst9s0yyas.jpg~original

Was just great to get out and be catching again ?. All in all I had 9 and lost 2, found it difficult to take pictures, balance, and hold fish at the same time haha.

What river was this on?

wa1115

Reaction score
What river was this on?

Don't think I am willing to post location on an open forum so it gets smashed to bits, it a stretch that doesn't get fished and not accessible from the banks.

robtherake

Reaction score
Had a couple of days at Parklands campsite at Northallerton, N.Yorks. A very nice site with two smallish lakes, one of which is canalised, but widens in two areas where there are a couple of islands. There are perch to a best of just over 4lbs, so I was optimistic that my garden lobs would come up trumps. I fished a peg where I'd seen fry being chased, to no avail, but my worms were taken with gay abandon by the carp (plus a solitary chub and tench) and I was far too relaxed to consider a move.

The carp are an extremely hard-fighting, torpedo-shaped strain and seem to have copied their escape tactics from the chub, boring into the bank, doubling back on themselves and running straight at me the second they were hooked. I put the biggest on the scales and was amazed to see it only went 12 and a half pounds - it took about 15 minutes to land and made several searing runs of up to 40 yds. The Middy Micro Muscle rod I was using normally makes short work of fish in that size bracket. Nutty as a fruitcake. :D

My peg. A slightly deeper area to the left of and slightly beyond the tip of the island was the killing ground. The platform was tiny (hence the crappier than usual fish pic) and alive with ants, one of which gave me a good old nip on the calf - pants in socks time!

sam vimes

Reaction score
Nice to see something positive about Parklands for a change. It's a tidy little fishery and I just happen to know the owner pretty well. Probably the wrong time of year for the big perch. They tend to show up more in the colder months when the carp are a little slow.

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Good day at Farmoor with 11 trout. Good sized ones.

Lovely day to be out on the reservoir.

---------- Post added at 22:58 ---------- Previous post was at 22:53 ----------

Last edited:

flightliner

Reaction score
I took myself up to a very wide n deep canal yesterday hoping for a net of roach, waggler fished mid canal withe loose fed hemp with maggot on the hook, six hours for one four inch roach did'nt seem a fair result for my efforts but it's not unfamilier territory for most anglers from time to time.
No matter tho, cant complain, heard my first cuckoo behind me and chatted to a local angler who put me onto an area to try next time I'm up this way.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
For the third year in a row I was fortunate to receive a complimentary years membership to Farnham AS (for either a good photo or decent fish) worth around a £100, so well pleased. I picked up the club book on Monday and, as I had some gear in the car, decided to have a look at one of their popular mature gravel pits bang in the middle of Aldershot.

I've had plenty of bream and a few tench in the past but it's typically smallish carp to the mid teens plus a few 20's, big cats and God knows what else.

It's always busy so I just slotted in between a couple of bivvies and set up a medium quiver tip, crumb cage feeder and banded 8mm pellet. It amuses me how some bivvy boys look at me with amusement when I set up in such a way with absolute minimal gear :) But to be fair, the guys next to me were a good laugh especially as the rod flew round pretty quickly and a plump little "double" eventually found it's way to my net :wh

I had to agree I was a bit under-gunned for the job in hand (I did lose two including a right old lump) but half a dozen carp later we were swapping notes and sharing an excellent brew of tea!

The guy to my left then hooked something quite substantial which took a while to subdue and turned out to be a 36lb cat :)

All good fun and not a bad four hours fishing.

:):)

robtherake

Reaction score
Some pretty fish there, Neil (and one very ugly character.) :)

...the catfish...I meant the catfish, honest!

Last edited:

robtherake

Reaction score
Nice to see something positive about Parklands for a change. It's a tidy little fishery and I just happen to know the owner pretty well. Probably the wrong time of year for the big perch. They tend to show up more in the colder months when the carp are a little slow.

Andrew seems like a decent enough chap and was full of hints and tips - he did say that more perch come out in the winter to dropshotting tactics when the water's a bit clearer. I'm unsurprised that some people have been less than complimentary - most of the anglers were leaving when they should have been arriving and I had the (more productive) evenings more or less to myself.

john step

Reaction score
Went to my reservoir syndi today. Managed to tackle up and get brollied before the forecasted rain.

Had two upper single mirrors and a tinca. This is a lightly stocked water for carp so they were very welcome.

I caught them on Lagunas' strawberry past in a haired paste cage.

Thanks Chris.

Last edited:

rubio

Reaction score
Got fishing again last night for what seems a long while.
Did it simple with just a rod, landing net and a bucket of bread mash. Couple of handfuls of mash went in straight away half way to a patch of lillies. Then just enough time to set up a small waggler set so as the tell-tale no.6 was just on bottom, and the isotope about neutral. I have all sorts of issues trying to get this right in the dark so did it with what little light was left. I opted not to start until it was dark now and used the next 20 mins walking back to the car to get some mozzy repellant. They were very busy in the still air. Plenty of bats round my head but I felt some extra protection was called for.
First cast and a bat swooped on the isotope and grabbed and quickly dropped it.Not the tasty firefly or somesuch it was hoping for. Suffer many a bat bite when quivertipping for chub,with them hitting the line for your only action of a cold night but first on a float for me.
Plenty of action eventually with fish, and after a couple of 6oz roach on the drop I had a run of decent crus. A couple bigger than a pound but nice to feel the rod bending a bit especially a crucian jagging about and circling underneath the tip. By the time I left more and more fish rolled in only 3 feet of water and made me wonder whether I should try a longer session or through the night. Haven't done that in a while either.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I decided to fish the other pond in the woods today that I know from previous visits contains crucians. I’m still not sure quite how big they might go as firstly, this was only my 4th visit, and secondly, no one else appears to fish there. Anyway I arrived at just before 10am and set up the 14’er poking through a gap in the bushes tight to the marginal vegetation again using a 4x14 pole float dotted down under the rod tip with a 2lb hook length and size 20 at the business end.
pondcrue26may16_zpsaeqfs6bg.jpg

The weather was a mixture of white cloud and bright sunshine and had warmed up considerably by early afternoon. I ended up with a couple of dozen crues, although none approaching the couple of almost 2lb’ers from a previous visit. I was also fortunate enough to land another very tiny tinca (eat your heart out Binks;)). At 2.45pm I netted a rogue carp of approximately 8lb that had gate crashed the swim and proceeded to trash it – time to pack up until after the bank holiday...........................
liltinca26may16_zpsyuv3cice.jpg

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
One word "Terrible"

6 fish not one above 4 oz 3 of us fishing all gave it neck after 2 hours .

Popped in there this morning not to fish (work called) but what a difference fish on the top taking critters fish crusing on the top and no fishing gear with me ( good job in a way else no work would have been done) then i would have had the hissed off well heeled of the area chasing me Ho Hummmm .. there is always Sunday

PG ...

qtaran111

Reaction score
Barbelboi, that's a beautiful looking venue.

I decided to fish the other pond in the woods today that I know from previous visits contains crucians. I’m still not sure quite how big they might go as firstly, this was only my 4th visit, and secondly, no one else appears to fish there. Anyway I arrived at just before 10am and set up the 14’er poking through a gap in the bushes tight to the marginal vegetation again using a 4x14 pole float dotted down under the rod tip with a 2lb hook length and size 20 at the business end.
pondcrue26may16_zpsaeqfs6bg.jpg

The weather was a mixture of white cloud and bright sunshine and had warmed up considerably by early afternoon. I ended up with a couple of dozen crues, although none approaching the couple of almost 2lb’ers from a previous visit. I was also fortunate enough to land another very tiny tinca (eat your heart out Binks;)). At 2.45pm I netted a rogue carp of approximately 8lb that had gate crashed the swim and proceeded to trash it – time to pack up until after the bank holiday...........................
liltinca26may16_zpsyuv3cice.jpg

B

binka

All I wanted to do was go out and get a single, solitary bite using my lovingly handcrafted perch bobber.

Just to know that it worked, to see those rippled rings flowing out at the first sign of interest before it slowly melted away… Surely not too much to ask considering the last couple of sessions or would Sod’s Law intervene to play an unwelcome part?

Not a bad day weather wise with a nice overcast sky and a steady southerly lapping at my feet, a tad cooler than of late but I would have taken it if you had asked me beforehand.

Certainly not an early start as such, I mixed a 50/50 combination of seed compost and Sensas Lake Black last night but I had to pick up worms from the tackle shop en route and I was in and out before 8am and putting in by 9am.

I chose the smallest of the floats as I would be fishing it top and bottom, dibber style under the rod tip.

I really like the dibbers for anything up to a small piece of worm but anything above that and I’m reliant on watching what happens with the float once it’s below the surface which can be difficult with a bit of chop and glare on the water and a strike as soon as the float goes under usually results in a miss… Hence the bobber and the benefit of seeing all of that clearly above the surface.

These old, time served designs didn't happen by accident y'know :)

Anyway, the smallest of the floats took around 3BB to sink it to its shoulders and I shotted it with a bunch of no.4’s around two thirds of the way down with a single no.6 dropper between the bulk and the size 12 spade end hook, I upped the hooklink slightly to 3-6 as those perch from previous sessions really ran and dug in.

Anything more and the pressure would have ripped the hook out of their mouths.

In went the feed in the form of tightly balled chopped worm to get it to the bottom without being affected by the tow, this was via the homemade cupping kit and it went down like the General Belgrano!

Now the waiting game.

A few minutes of high anticipation passed, it then passed the half hour point and as I slumped lower in my seat I think I hit the ninety minute mark without a bite!

Sod’s Law!

Not…

Eventually I got into a stream of good fish with this being the best at 2lb 10ozs…

And plenty of quality fish for back up…

Elation!

I’d had my first ever fish, and some good ones at that, on a float crafted from the clumsiest hands in fishing!

A few signs during the day told me that this rude run, which had lasted three sessions spanning a week, was nearing an end and it felt like waving goodbye to a close friend as I packed away well into the evening but rest assured I have a note of the dates and the precise place for next year!

Variable temperatures accepted of course...

:w