Thanks Thanks:  532
Likes Likes:  73,338
Page 202 of 1389 FirstFirst ... 1021521922002012022032042122523027021202 ... LastLast
Results 2,011 to 2,020 of 13881

Default Re: How did you get on?

Thanks lads always willing to learn!!
    You took a few wrong turns at Stairfoot Roundabout to end up in France Nicepix. My favourite country.
    Tight Lines

Blog Entries

Yesterday evening I went out after a chub or a barbel.

1" cubes of Spam flavoured with ocean pride on the hair.

I fished about 6 different swims and only had one bite after scaling down the bait to two 1/2" bits of meat.

Blog Entries

One hour = small perch survey completed today

Getting bigger Neil, just the wrong species !

Tried a canal for a few hours yesterday, not much to report, 3 roach was all I caught at first, then it went dead. Another difficult very shallow weedy water with very warm temperatures. I think these types of waters would be better fished at night with the conditions at the moment. Just stuck to sweetcorn to avoid the small fry, still; fairly nice roach but, was hoping for a bonus tench. Lovely spot and a nice day, lots of wildlife.
    Then moved to a river nearby, disturbed 3 small chub right under my feet, water was very clear and not a bite. Gave up after an hour.

In need of some simple big fish therapy, think I might give a commercial a go next time. A man has to do .................
    Last edited by markg; 17-07-2015 at 05:03.

Had a couple of days fishing off Aberdovey on board Charlie Bartletts 'Mikatcha' [http://www.aberdoveyfishing.com/] on Tuesday and Wednesday with mixed success.

Tuesday saw us steaming out 60 + miles into St Georges channel to a wartime wreck which was solid with pollack up to 15 lb which were free biting and hard fighting. The fish were filleted on board and 8 anglers filled 6 boxes of fillets in 6 hours. I personally found the whole process of hauling the things up through 300 ft of water too much like a days work and although I believe you should try most things (with the exception of incest and prison sex) at least once I made a pact with myself not to bother with wreck fishing again.

Wednesday saw us steaming 8 miles out into Cardigan bay where we fished in 70 ft of water with stepped up carp gear (6 oz leads) for anything which swims.
    I landed 9 different species including black bream over 3lb and bull huss to 12lb. We then went over to the tope grounds which was a bit less productive with only one tope landed. This is most unusual for Charlie as he usually gets straight on them but by the time we worked out where they were we could not get on that mark, something to do with wind over tide which I didn't understand but nodded along with my version of a wise look on my face pretending I did.

This was supposed to be a three-day trip for me but due to other commitments I had to cut it short, but I have spoken to one of the other lads who went out again yesterday and they got straight on the tope and landed 20 odd (3 or 4 each) before the anglers decided to call it a day and head back to the bream marks.

If anyone fancies a day out I can not recommend this skipper highly enough and if you can go at short notice he has a list of people he can call to make up numbers which he will happily add you to. I will warn you though, he does come across as a bit abrasive so if you have a thin skin you might want to find someone else to go with.

Sounds like a great trip Ade. I take it there was plenty of rehydration between sessions too?
    I tread the path where no one goes,
    and cast to fish nobody knows.

I d*cked an opportunity to go fishing today. I'd finished my mole patrol by 11am and could have detoured to one of the rivers I'd pass on the way home. But the heat got to me.

Instead I went home and spent the afternoon in the cool of the basement boiling some bait. I'd got some peanuts and hemp seeds soaking and made four big bags of boiled and ground peanut mash and eight bags of hemp seeds. Then I reduced the hemp liquor and used it to make four bags of sticky method mix groundbait with some ground hemp seeds, maize flour and ground maize ground bait. The freezer is almost full.

Nicepix, I have just had a couple of weeks in Charente. I concur about the heat!!
    Had a wander along a couple of rivers (without rods). Some beautiful stretches above Pons. Like a mini Hants Avon
    Last edited by john step; 17-07-2015 at 21:15. Reason: spelling

I've not heard of that place John. We regularly go to the Cognac area where the River Charente is similar to the Thames and much further downstream near to Saintes and Rochefort it is tidal and good for mullet. The area around Marans is an angler's paradise.

The problem at the minute is the heat. This is the first 'proper' summer we have experienced and after four weeks of it I'm wilting. We are currently on an orange warning for thunder storms. I've just been out and secured everything that needed to be.