Thanks Thanks:  526
Likes Likes:  72,821
Page 205 of 1383 FirstFirst ... 1051551952032042052062072152553057051205 ... LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,050 of 13824

Default Re: How did you get on?

Quote Originally Posted by Tee-Cee View Post
    Having taken an enforced week way from fishing to deal with all the issues that follow one around until they just have to be dealt with, it was very good to get out for a few hours today. It was a 10pm decision made last night so I didn't expect miracles, and by golly, I wasn't disappointed !
    It was the promise of rain in the forecast that got my a$$ into gear so it was a case of deciding baits what might do best. In the end I went for bread flake/crust for the wet/overcast period first thing and then hemp/tares as the light improved via the promised sunshine from mid morning. The freezer was raided and a few slices of medium thick plus the hemp and tares were left to defrost for the 04.30 off.
    Yes, we had the rain for an hour or two and the flake produced a few roach, but for some strange reason and over an hour or so, every bite producing a fish became every bite producing ziltch. No rhyme nor reason, they just went finicky on me....

The hemp and tares gave me a few more fish, but I became fixated on the flake missed bites and tried a few things to rectify it. The 14 hook with small pinches was changes to a 12 with more hook point showing and this improved matters to some degree. I then went OTT and used a 10 with larger lumps of flake, but things only improved markedly when quite by chance I recast with just the remnants of the original flake still on the hook and took a nice roach around 10" long.
    In the end I was using pinched ( or part flattened ) 6mm discs of flake ( produced by a meat cutter being pushed through the bread ) on the seemingly oversized hook and this took a dozed fish between 6" to 11" long......Yes, a 6" roach on a size 10, and fairly hooked in the top lip !

Sport gradually fizzled out as it got warmer and despite a change back to H & T I gave it best around noon.

Not a bad session, with a bit of lateral thinking giving me the edge..........just !

ps Oh, and I learned something new as well !
    Maybe a try with 'wet' bread when you get into similar territory again. And with roach you always will. I love discs for bread fishing. Squeezed, dunked, half-press, folded............a dozen different baits in one. I been using old pole sections for sometime now to cut them. Easier I find than meat punches in similar sizes.
    Also I managed a small roach and one crucian last time out. Not much but two fish better than last 3 trips out.
    It's a short life, enjoy every fin

Quote Originally Posted by S-Kippy View Post
    I think you might find big angry sea trout hooked at night rather more challenging than a 4oz half dead skimmer. You want to try some proper manfishing sometime but remember to bring a change of underpants !
    You both going to the Lower Itchen Fight-in this year
    “If you find it hard to laugh at yourself, I would be happy to do it for you.”

Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

Quote Originally Posted by itsfishingnotcatching View Post
    You both going to the Lower Itchen Fight-in this year
    No...but my seatbox is. He cant wait !

Blog Entries

I got out for a couple of hours today, with a shallow spot in mind that I though might hold a chub ready to accept a lure.

I was right (for once) and caught a tiny one on a surface insect almost immediately, then went on to lose two much better fish in quick succession.

On the walk home I swapped for a tiny soft plastic and caught plenty of
    small perch.

Quote Originally Posted by neil1970 View Post
    I got out for a couple of hours today, with a shallow spot in mind that I though might hold a chub ready to accept a lure.

I was right (for once) and caught a tiny one on a surface insect almost immediately, then went on to lose two much better fish in quick succession.

On the walk home I swapped for a tiny soft plastic and caught plenty of
    small perch.

You are getting pretty good at that game.
    I tread the path where no one goes,
    and cast to fish nobody knows.

No...but my seatbox is. He cant wait !
    If you mean me mate I've never dissed your seatbox?
    Check it in the archives...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by peter crabtree
    Hooked 2 lumps and smashed 2 light rigs during the day .
    3 hours yesterday tying whip rigs kind of paid off Skippy'...
    Swung most of them but didn't lose any at the net....

I think you might find big angry sea trout hooked at night rather more challenging than a 4oz half dead skimmer. You want to try some proper manfishing sometime but remember to bring a change of underpants !
    Sorry guys I thought this was the opening shot in seatbox wars, must have been mistaken
    “If you find it hard to laugh at yourself, I would be happy to do it for you.”

Well after Saturdays totalo fluff on the golf course leading to a cragged up back i thought sod work today and went fishing at a small private pool i am a member of ,

What a day it turned out to be straight from the off 4 stonking Crucians ( my all time favorite fish to catch) followed by 3 Tench the big female one bending the scales at 6lb 9oz . plus a few nice roach and bream total of 17lb 3oz not bad thou i say it my self Oh and sorry folks i DID take the camera but made the big mistake of putting the batteries in here at home so by the time i needed it flat bloody Olyimpus optio ..

PG ..

I went to a small club fishery up on the wolds today and had to depart smartly like a right wus.

There is a type of virulent biting horse fly in swarms that seems to be getting worse every year. They attack in numbers and spoil any concentration needed
    to fish. Fishing has to be enjoyable not an ordeal.

I ended up on another club lake for 3 carp and about a dozen lumpy roach.

Dismal. One small crucian on meat.
    It's a short life, enjoy every fin