How did you get on?

B

binka

Hard work this time out but no less enjoyable for it, very rewarding in fact.

Back on the large perch lake and things took a bit of a turn first thing as I had walked all the way around to be on the end of the wind but only to find it black with carp which were gathered with romance on their mind, I quietly waded in up to the top of me wellies and I could practically stroke ‘em and so I left them to enjoy their big day without the hindrance of me fishing through ‘em.

Which took me back to where I had been doing well over the last couple of weeks but I didn’t fancy it this time as it was too still yet probably the best of the available options.

Two hours of float fishing worm off the rod end bought me nothing but two bite offs from pike and so I rigged up the light feeder rod and a small cage feeder with a view to chucking it fifty yards or so to the edge of the ripple.

An hour or so on the tip and still nothing, changed hook sizes numerous times to fish anything from a tiny nip end to a large dendra and I couldn’t buy a bite and so I decided to try a small maggot clip hair rigged to a size 12 B911X with small bits of chop around the same size as was going through the feeder.

Bingo!

Within a few minutes I had a savage pluck on the 1/2oz glass tip followed by a really good pull round and I was into a fish which turned out to be a nice perch of 2-2…

No stopping them after that and I took another dozen and a half, all good humped backed fish, with the best just shaving it at 2-15…

I’ll settle for that.

I think I was more surprised that I’d managed to fish the tip with something resembling accuracy and competence for once, I'm not sure but I think I might even have enjoyed it too :w

Last edited:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Overcast, freezing cold with a chilly East wind when I arrived at today's fixture on the Aylesbury arm of the GUC. With forecasters saying it could reach 25 degrees today:confused: Luckily I packed a jacket just in case.

My peg looked promising with plenty of scope. Bites came fairly quickly on punch across in the gap in the lilies, a small skimmer then a couple of roach.
Tried a deeper rig just by the pads to my right with maggot and a small perch and a couple more roach and once again the switch got flicked. Nothing for 3 hours whatever I tried...
With an hour to go I shallowed up on my maggot rig and tried a grain of hemp about half way to the deck and bingo another roach.
Weighed in 9oz for 5th out of 8.

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Well out again today with considerably more good than the last 2 excursions landed a couple of very nice Curcians of just over 2 1/2 lbs each (note to self need slightly heavier elastic on small pole ) plus a nice collection of Skimmers Roach Perch plus a very rare for me Rudd nice fish , As someone else commented the Carp were busy making whoopsie in the far corner of the pool and the Tench just id not show at all which is unusual for that place .

Try again tomorrow afternoon only working till 12:00 then fishing likewise on Tuesday so hope to do better ...

Might even try and snatch a few pictures if anything proves worthy .

PG ...

Chefster

Reaction score
Hello all,Canal Pool for the open today at TBF,i had a nice draw peg 11,fished a steady match on worm/caster/slop across,into a foot of water,and had 45 F1,s,3 barbel and a skimmer,and a few perch,for 80-10-0,and the win:D
Peg 3 was 2nd with 64lb,and the Legend Pete Hancox was 3rd with 53lb.....possibly should of had a ton,lost a lot of fish in snags on far bank,but did enough anyway:D..High pool for open tomorrow...tight lines ,Gazza:D:D

robtherake

Reaction score
Hard work this time out but no less enjoyable for it, very rewarding in fact.

Back on the large perch lake and things took a bit of a turn first thing as I had walked all the way around to be on the end of the wind but only to find it black with carp which were gathered with romance on their mind, I quietly waded in up to the top of me wellies and I could practically stroke ‘em and so I left them to enjoy their big day without the hindrance of me fishing through ‘em.

Which took me back to where I had been doing well over the last couple of weeks but I didn’t fancy it this time as it was too still yet probably the best of the available options.

Two hours of float fishing worm off the rod end bought me nothing but two bite offs from pike and so I rigged up the light feeder rod and a small cage feeder with a view to chucking it fifty yards or so to the edge of the ripple.

An hour or so on the tip and still nothing, changed hook sizes numerous times to fish anything from a tiny nip end to a large dendra and I couldn’t buy a bite and so I decided to try a small maggot clip hair rigged to a size 12 B911X with small bits of chop around the same size as was going through the feeder.

Bingo!

Within a few minutes I had a savage pluck on the 1/2oz glass tip followed by a really good pull round and I was into a fish which turned out to be a nice perch of 2-2…

No stopping them after that and I took another dozen and a half, all good humped backed fish, with the best just shaving it at 2-15…

I’ll settle for that.

I think I was more surprised that I’d managed to fish the tip with something resembling accuracy and competence for once, I'm not sure but I think I might even have enjoyed it too :w

That's my favourite crucian bait when legering's the thing, only I use a Korum Quickstop. Nice angling, Steve. :)

B

binka

I couldn’t think of a better way to spend a hazy, lazy summer’s day than beside a local country park lake and the weather was glorious once again.

Not an early start as I had some work to do beforehand and I rocked up around 11am after stopping for sarnies and a bottle of cloudy lemonade en-route, I know a fish has never ruined a day’s fishing but I really was happy just to be there today, relaxing in the sun and listening to all the birds twittering away without the distant interruption of road noise.

Bliss!

I found a nice quiet spot in a corner I’d never fished before and set up to fish under the overhanging tree in a couple of feet of water at the top of the marginal shelf…

Plenty of taddies milling around and enjoying the weather too…

I even bagged a few fair and square in me net so I’m counting ‘em…

Reminds me of school gravy! :puke:

Anyway, it was almost a lazy approach to be fair but it suited the mood and made for some enjoyable, easy fishing with plenty of bites from small perch and some half decent roach up to 8ozs or so on worms left over from the weekend but then disaster struck!

Despite many failed attempts I still haven’t learned, in over thirty five years of fishing, that I can’t cast around corners and an attempt to do just this, so that I could draw the float back under the far overhang of the tree, saw the float land right in it and it was one of my home grown specimens too.

Not to be outdone I was in the water and poking about with the landing net handle for a good ten minutes but the damned thing seemed to have evaporated as it was nowhere to be seen and hadn’t fallen out either.

Still, it was a welcome cooling off in the heat…

I think my feet churning around in the swim had a similar effect to the weed rake as I was getting bites again within three or four minutes of putting back in and re-feeding but alas, I think a Crabtree Bad Angling Award is pinging it's way through cyberspace as you read this :eek:mg:

I’m giving this little fella “fish of the day” as it’s the third different lake I’ve caught a few from during the close season and I hope they’re making a comeback, I had three of ‘em today…

Right then, where did I put that aftersun?

:w

Chefster

Reaction score
Hello,right, last match i can fish,before the Daiwa Pole Masters festival,on the 13,14,15th next week:eek:..We fished on High and Club pools as there was a high turnout,i drew peg 50 on High,which is normally an out and out feeder peg,but seeing as im practising for a pole only festival,the rods stayed at home!
I decided to stick with the worm/caster/slop,and caster shallow,and see how it did on what is normally a pellet dominated pool,end result,73-10-0,for about 5th overall,it wasnt right ,and if id of fished pellet,i could of possibly won/framed...Dave Chapman(Swann Baits),won the day with a feeder caught 109-0-0,97lb-2nd,a couple of 80lbs.
I caught a mix of F1,s,barbel,skimmers,ide,roach,perch,gudgeon,so had a busy day...and i learnt something for next week!!Tight lines,Gazza:D

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Hi all .

A short afternoon on the pool today that 4 letter word this morning that sort of spread itself into the early afternoon then thats it enough ! off down the pool got there around 14:30 into tiddlers instantly and thats the way it remained till around 16:00 then the Snottys came on line 6 in a row to just under 2 lb each a couple of nice roach around 3/4 lb each few more tiddlers then WORK calling dratsab that scuppered that one so pack up and get an old dear past her door with a broken yale key in the lock why yale make their keys with a deep pin so close to the bow i will never know but they do :eek:mg: .

PG ...

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
I returned to Coking Farm Fishery in North Dorset yesterday intending to fish their "runs water" (Long Lake) and was armed with a couple of barbel rods of 1.5tc & 1.75tc which I thought might give me a sporting chance of a decent carp or two. But it was too crowded for my liking and anyway I didn't have my bivvy with me so I didn't get past the walk around ;)

So off I headed to Rush Lake again and was pleased to see only two people fishing it. I therefore drove to the opposite end and picked a corner spot facing into the stiff, warm breeze alongside a big bank of rushes. I could get quite used to parking right behind my swim :wh

Anyway I yet again attempted to empty the lake of carp but I only had 8 crusty rolls (I set up a 1.1tc Avon rod to fish the surface a few rod lengths out). Once those rolls had done their job I had a few more sporty carp on mini sausage rolls, it seems they defeat the Rudd fry from destroying the bait and give the carp a little longer to make up their mind :eek:mg:

I have no idea how many carp I ended up with but was desperately trying to be selective and pick the "better" carp by way of judging the size of their mouths :eek:mg: I did weigh one at 14lbs+ and had quite a number around and over 10lbs.

Here's a selection of some of them.

carp1_600_x_554_.jpg

View image in gallery

carp2_600_x_505_.jpg

View image in gallery

carp3_598_x_600_.jpg

View image in gallery

carp4_600_x_561_.jpg

View image in gallery

carp5_600_x_466_.jpg

View image in gallery

It was a fun afternoon and, if you want to put a bend in your rod, this place might be for you.

All through the afternoon I was surrounded by Cuckoos, there seemed to be several in the immediate area. I hear them regularly but haven't actually seen any for quite a few years. Yesterday was different, I didn't realise they called whilst in flight!

Last edited:

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score

URL=http://s979.photobucket.com/user/GrahamE1/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG-20160607-WA0005_zps0sdgplbe.jpg.html]
IMG-20160607-WA0005_zps0sdgplbe.jpg
[/URL]

Had my auction tinca day down in Kent. No monsters and I'll do a write up soon.

Some beautiful birdlife and a very sad tale to tell you about.

Last edited:

robtherake

Reaction score
The family dropped into Kingfisher caravan park, near Knaresborough, last weekend; it's a quiet and scenic place with good privacy and some beautiful walks past several naturalised pools. Only one is fishable - some of you may know it as Farmire fishery, managed by Brian Morland several decades ago as a trout lake. Whether it was renowned, I know not, but it was regularly mentioned in the angling press of the day, I seem to remember.

Back then, it was a 5 acre lake with depths of 30 feet (essential to keep the trout cool in the summer months, so I was told) but new ownership and an ambivalence towards the needs of angling saw the lake backfilled by rubble and reduced to half the previous depth and size. It was hinted that this was likely to have been a means of making a quick buck, but the shallower contours of the lake that remained proved unsuitable for the trout and so the place fell into decline. The present owners take the view that they have a caravan site which just happens to have a lake on it (rather than a site which is noted for its fishing), so angling is still permitted but there is no real upkeep and fish taken by otter and cormorant predation are not replaced.

A walk round the lake - one side of which was closed to fishing while the resident swans raise their eight fine cygnets - showed that the side which was open was the shallowest and was top to bottom with Canadian pondweed for up to five yards out. Only one swim remained open enough for float fishing - you can see the worn bank to the rear of the picture - so this was where I set up, providently on the end of a warm breeze. I knew there were carp, perch and a few roach - they'd always been there, even when Farmire was open for trout fishing - but how many and how big? The first evening, foreshortened as the fishing is only from 8am to 8pm and we didn't arrive until 5pm ( a hangover from its trout water origins) saw me catch several perch on worm , plus a chubby little carp of a pound or so, before close of play. Never mind, I thought, there's always tomorrow.

So, while wife and number 2 son broiled in the heat, I fished in the blazing sun at an unsuitable time of day, but still caught perch at odd intervals through the day in the deep water a couple of rods out. None were bigger than a pound, but in the clear water their colours were beautiful - vivid greens and yellows and fins of glowing red, lit by the sun. I suppose I had a dozen or so, all told - the first session for ages that hasn't been gatecrashed by cyprinus carpio and all the better for that. I left the phone back in the van so that SWMBO couldn't disturb the peace, so I have no catch shots, but here's a picture of the place taken on the following day.

flightliner

Reaction score
A near local reservoir yesterday, one that holds some half decant roach and Bream. Set up and off mid morning but the hope began to fade pretty early.
The bailiff came and relieved me of a fiver and shortly afterwards two carp anglers arrived from "darn sarf" and asked me how long I was going to be in my swim---- awfull question, one I hate, go away, - - - - off!
Anyway, another couple of hours with nothing and I head for another water nearby on the same ticket, one with an abundance of silvers and smallish carp.
I rigged up my pellet waggler rod and a lightish waggler and fed four mill pellets and maggots in the margi s and was soon into some lovely skimmers, bream and tiny five inch carplets as long as being mugged a time or two by slightly bigger carp than I was taking.
All told my day was saved and just about when it was "one last cast" I latched into what I love best, a biggish roach that went 1-3 on the scales, a biggish fish locally so a bit chuffed.
That was it, the sun had finally got to me and I decided it was time to find some shade so I was home in the hour.
Dont know if Steve will put the pik up later but the water but a few decades ago it was the pit yard of a local colliery, amazing what can be done to an industrial eyesore.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I've been in Fletcher Christian mode at work for a while now so faced with the prospect off flogging right across London for the latest round of Management suit pointing I decided to pull a fast one and buqqer off fishing on the pretext of accompanying Mrs S to the hospital for a scan. She did go....just not with me. No big deal....routine check up.

So.... rather than formation suit licking I was up Farmoor for another evening on the trite before they get all unnecessary. Its gone off a bit since I was there last,rod average just over 5 so I thought if I manage half a dozen I'll have done pretty well.

The usual A40 bunfight meant i didn't arrive until nearly 5 and it was hot, I was sweaty and the ressie looked a bit stewed. Horrible green algal bloom over half of it and it's pointless fishing in that muck. I picked the only relatively clear bit and hoped the forecast breeze would shift the pea soup later....which it did.

I then proceeded to fish my little nuts off for about an hour for precisely nowt. I was just contemplating a move when out of nowhere I had a cracking take and the blank was saved. That prompted me to stay a bit longer but with no fish showing by 7pm I reckoned that I'd had the resident mugfish and I thought I'd best go find some fish rather than bank on them finding me later. More in hope than expectation I wandered up the bank about 300 yards and saw a fish move...then another. That'll do the Big Man !

I had a fish on first chuck which fell off rather unsportingly. I then had a terrific 90 minutes as the breeze got up and the trite started moving to hatching buzzers and then sedge. I had 10 in all with 4 lost and about half of those on the dray flay. Best about 4-12 with 4 other fish of 4lb + . Several did passable impersonations of tarpon and on 3 or 4 occasions I was hanging on with a good 30 yds of backing out . Fantastic fighting fish.....they just never give up.

I was hoping for a round dozen but at about 8-45 I got the mother of all tangles so I once again asked myself " How many more do you need to catch ? ". The answer again was none....I'd had the 6 I'd hoped for and double the rod average so I reckon that's a pretty decent return for an evenings trite fishing. All the more pleasing because most of those fish fell to my own creations including the lethal " Jacko" named after my son......on its day a absolute killer. Both of them !

Thought I'd had the Dept of Transport over by going home via my normal route but the gits trumped me by closing the Beaconsfield exit off the M40 which meant a 10 mile detour. Howl !

And all this without a hat !

Last edited: