How did you get on?

barbelboi

Reaction score
Early start today – I kid you not, I was on the bank side at 9.30 this morning. Why was I up so early you might ask (and a very fair question – thank you for asking;)). Well, a buddy that I met in the village pub (where else) has put me on to a couple of farm ponds that might hold crucians (his brother is the land owner) and like most of the places I’ve been fishing recently it’s in the middle of bloody nowhere and I needed a guide for the first visit. Unfortunately that was the latest he could do on the day................
farm%20pond%201_zpsszdx9wej.jpg

Unlike the pond in the woods, this is the farm pond in the meadows (with a bit of woodland) and unlike the farm ponds that I fished before moving (there’s a couple on here that still fish them that will know where I mean) where the cows come in for a drink – here it’s sheep.
crue26may16_zpss08bebjq.jpg

The day started off cloudy, gradually thinning off to hot sunshine and this showed that there are quite a few ‘feral’ type carp that came out to bask. Anyway, the short version – there are crucians in residence although I didn’t manage to temp any much over the (estimated) pound mark and some pristine condition roach to about the same. Another most enjoyable day with a mixed bag of at least 30 crucians/roach plus a couple of tench that were unfortunately a little too large to put more stress on Binks in the tiny tinca compition:). Fished ‘til 3pm..............

john step

Reaction score
Sometimes I just have to get my own back for some blanks and go to fish a very very easy water.
I went floater fishing and the carp were really giving themselves up. I had 22 plus a rare grassy before my arm got too tired and the novelty waned.

Last edited:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Down the canal local today. Wagg and caster/magg down the middle.

A nice little session in the sunshine....

You may recall I left my Hardy 14" float rod and landing near handle against a tree last autumn, never to be seen again. -£400.
Well I did it again today with my Garbo 13" float rod, landing net handle and bank sticks ! - £200..
Feeling sick.....

john step

Reaction score
peter crabtree You may recall I left my Hardy 14" float rod and landing near handle against a tree last autumn said:
Sorry for your loss. Gutted I guess. I would say that you won't do that again but....:eek:mg:
As well as my little ritual of always putting my landing net up first, I have another when packing up. I always have a wander around looking hard for anything dropped or forgotten rod rests etc.
In the dark I wander around with a torch.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
It was leant against my car on the passenger side in the car park and I chucked everything else in the hatch back and drove off:eek:mg:
Took ages to get home in the rush hour then ages to get back down again...
Gone...
Tackle shop visit could be expensive tomorrow.......

john step

Reaction score
It was leant against my car on the passenger side in the car park and I chucked everything else in the hatch back and drove off:eek:mg:
Gone...

Nice to know other people have these elderly moments as they call them. Loss of tackle is not funny though.

I had one such moment today. It started raining as forecast. I had trouble getting the brolly spike in the ground so I pulled it apart and leant heavily on just the spike part with my chest. I slipped and landed on my chest on the end of the shaft.

Cracked ribs and pain. OH DEAR I said.:eek:mg:
Hurts to lift the beer glass up.

robtherake

Reaction score
Nice to know other people have these elderly moments as they call them. Loss of tackle is not funny though.

I had one such moment today. It started raining as forecast. I had trouble getting the brolly spike in the ground so I pulled it apart and leant heavily on just the spike part with my chest. I slipped and landed on my chest on the end of the shaft.

Cracked ribs and pain. OH DEAR I said.:eek:mg:
Hurts to lift the beer glass up.

Bet that's sore, John. The walk back and journey home can't have been much fun, either. Did you fish on, or was the session FUBAR'd?

Hugh Bailey

Reaction score
What a nightmare Peter - and I know how easy it is. I hope the final bill is less than you think, or maybe someone hands your stuff in at a local tackle or cop shop (but I doubt it). Keep and eye on the usual outlets (the bay, gumtree etc.)

Chefster

Reaction score
What a nightmare Peter - and I know how easy it is. I hope the final bill is less than you think, or maybe someone hands your stuff in at a local tackle or cop shop (but I doubt it). Keep and eye on the usual outlets (the bay, gumtree etc.)
Why ,so he can buy it back??

Hugh Bailey

Reaction score
Not really - a lot of stuff is smart-marked or post-coded these days so, with some proof of ownership (any photos, bills etc.) it can be retrieved, especially if it was as a result if a crime. And taking by finding is still a crime AFAIK.

flightliner

Reaction score
Gone...

Steves got loads of Hardy spares , maybe he could help out .:wh

Chefster

Reaction score
Not really - a lot of stuff is smart-marked or post-coded these days so, with some proof of ownership (any photos, bills etc.) it can be retrieved, especially if it was as a result if a crime. And taking by finding is still a crime AFAIK.
Unless it is marked with uv pen or similar,very difficult to prove it was yours,that you carelessly left on the bankside;)I must admit ive left thing behind before such as a bankstick,pole bung,disgorger etc,but never £200-£400 worth of rods and reels

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Thats rough Simon.

I once did the same with rod quiver with 2x torrix with 2x 500 xtea etc.

Luckily hacking back to Lower Benyons from next M4 junction it was still there and remarkably I hadn't driven over it!

About £800 worth. I felt quite sick till I found it.

john step

Reaction score
Bet that's sore, John. The walk back and journey home can't have been much fun, either. Did you fish on, or was the session FUBAR'd?

I fished on as it was chucking it down and didn't fancy getting out from under the brolly once it was up.
It was the walk later carrying the tackle back to the car where the real fun began.:(

The bloody worst part is I do own one of those screw spikes but didn't take it so as to cut down on weight.

Last edited: