How did you get on?

law

Reaction score
I randomly had a huge perch last weekend down my local river while after roach, so went down for a couple of hours with the wife armed with little spinners this eve.

Nothing huge, but nice to be out :)

10641074_10152605079345365_4895280807634250219_n.jpg

10577177_10152605079610365_6522854190140886732_n.jpg

10612907_10152605079805365_4410693545918402568_n.jpg

And the wifes first pike....

10441077_10152605079150365_7532955372801381375_n.jpg

lambert1

Reaction score
Had my normal after work session tonight. I very nearly did not go as I was knackered and did not do my usual Thursday night preparation. As luck would have it though, it turned out to be my best session in specimen terms. I took cheese paste from the freezer and nothing else apart from some hemp. I lost a fish early on, which shed the hook before I could see what it was, but it did not feel like a rod bender. I then got a lot of nibblers, but using a size six and a big lump of cheese paste, there was no chance of getting them as I suspect they were chublets etc. Then after some more encouraging bites I managed to hook a Chub, which at 4lb 9oz is the best I have caught to date, so I am well chuffed. The only down side was I managed to bend my landing net handle which I have had since I was a kid (got it with Greenshield Stamps:eek:), but hopefully I can fix it. Good luck to all those out this weekend!

B

binka

I randomly had a huge perch last weekend down my local river while after roach, so went down for a couple of hours with the wife armed with little spinners this eve.

Nothing huge, but nice to be out :)

Aint that always the case eh law?

The amount of times I've gone out targeting a big perch only to get the little 'uns and then one randomly turns up when you're doing something else.

I'm out again tomorrow to try and pluck a big perch from the river... erm, I mean I'm going after gudgeon with some big lobworms a-herm ;)

sam vimes

Reaction score
After a tip off from one of the few that regularly fish the club water I fish, I found an absolute horde of dace. They were topping everywhere in about two hundred yards of river. First chuck resulted in a very unlikely perch. Though they've been reported in the area in recent years, I've never before seen one this far upstream. The dace proved to be very finicky and preoccupied with surface feeding. I did manage a few but I suspect that the lack of flow gave them far too much time to inspect the bait. I ended up moving to find a bit of flow and picked up a few more dace. On the last trot of the night I hooked into something a bit bigger. After initial uncertainty as to what it might be, it decided to leave the water several times. No doubting what it was when that happens. It fought like crazy and necessitated wading back to dry land to net.
409935243.jpg

2lb 4oz of very angry wild brownie, complete with the beginnings of the classic big trout beak.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I've found the same thing with dace Sam, they can become very preoccupied with insects on the surface and completely oblivious to anything different. Some years ago I used to use a brook rod and try to mimic the 'insect of the time' with some success. Unfortunately there are very few dace in my local rivers now although the roach have made a massive comeback. I've had more jacks trotting this season than dace......

nicepix

Reaction score
Bad angling.....:eek:hno:;)

Silvers only match today at Wood lane Bucks. A deep pit full of carp...
3m whip 0:09 line, a 20 hook to 0:07 hooklink and maggot. Roach a chuck in 5ft of water. Fed heavily with caster and balls of VDE dark super roach. I'm certain it's the same blend as the discontinued black turbo, sweet and sticky.
Then the carp moved in:wh Went through 3 packets of hooks and about 5ft of hooklink line. .................

Ditto :w :D

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I went to the big lake via a friend's house to check the mole traps. In my haste to pack everything I forgot my bag of hook baits :eek: Had to make do with the few maize particles that were in the groundbait and zigs, none of which worked :(

touche.......

nicepix

Reaction score
touche.......

Fished the open match at Willows again today. A different section of the pit this week. Drew a flyer carp peg with an overhanging bush to my left.
Not great when it's a silvers only match...
No bites for 2 hours on the method long with yellow Bandums.
2m whip and maggot got me bite after bite from roach and small skimbobs.
Stayed on it for 2 hours but the stamp of fish was small. Back out on the method and not a touch, the sun was out and the breeze dropped. Ate my lunch watching others catching decent skimmers which was a little frustrating...
Back on the whip for another hour and loads more roach hit the net. Couldn't find the better roach all day. Only hooked one carp which took my entire rig for a swim... Back on the feeder for the last 20 mins and had 2 decent skimmers before the whistle.
Came last :eek:mg: with 12lb 15.
Winner had a bite every cast during the 6 hours for 101lb all skimmers....
Nice day out though...

New balls please :w :D

neil1970

Reaction score
I went out with my two daughters (aged 5 & 8) today.

We left at 11am and walked the canal bank, 3 casts/retrieves each, and then on to the next spot. A variety of small lures were used until we reached a lockside cafe for lunch.

Someone didn't want to stop, even when the food came.

She's been desperate to catch a perch :
''not a big one , because they're ugly'' :p

After lunch we went to a backwater and a SG 4play Dirty Roach attracted a jack, which I lost just before landing it.

With 10 minutes to go my daughter lost a perch - the (thankfully quiet) frustration and disappointment surprised me! Of course then she didn't want to leave, but was prised away by the promise of a trip to the sweetshop on the walk home.:D

Back home at 3pm, the little one totally knackered by the longish walk.

Lovely day.

nicepix

Reaction score
We've had a very busy two weeks with barely enough time to squeeze in a couple of hours on the nearest river. Today however, I was given the afternoon off. Today is also 'Mad Sunday' the last day before millions of French people go back to work after their August holidays. The two big lakes near us were crawling with holidaymakers intent on squeezing the last few hours of their annual holiday,yachting, horse riding, canoes, swimmers and sun bathers and so what better time to go up there? :eek:mg:

The lakes are over 4km from end to end and situated in rural countryside. Much of the banks are virtually inaccessible unless you know the way via green lanes and farm tracks off minor roads. And there are dozens of them along with hundreds that lead nowhere fishable. It is a well known fact that French anglers don't fish more than 3 metres from their vehicles so on 'Mad Sunday' the banks that at other times of the year are deserted all have a little white van situated at the end of each accessible track to the water. They know the lanes better than I do and while walking the dog I was able to locate the nearest little white van to where I wanted to fish and back track its route to the road. ;)

I've now got easier access to three places I had previously had long walks to and as a bonus on the way home used the same method to locate a river swim on the Vienne that I would have never found in a million years. :)

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Couple of hours playing about with the dropshot rod at Windsor while Mrs S and Beloved Daughter went shopping. Had a couple of perch and quite a few unconverted knocks until wallop !....a proper take.I got ever so excited for a moment thinking I'd hooked a big perch but it turned out to be a jack. Good fun though.

On the way back to the car chatted with a bloke who'd been fishing a club match lower down & he gave me the sp on the stretch,best swims,how to fish it etc etc. Worth the trip for that alone !

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
No match or pleasure fishing today. Nursing a hangover the size of a small car after a party last night.
Gagging to get out tomorrow but the outlook is wet and windy.
Plan is to fish the Thames at Runnymede for roach and big perch in preparation for a looming club fixture.

barbelboi

Reaction score
No match or pleasure fishing today. Nursing a hangover the size of a small car after a party last night.
Gagging to get out tomorrow but the outlook is wet and windy.
Plan is to fish the Thames at Runnymede for roach and big perch in preparation for a looming club fixture.

Best of LUCK Simon..............