How did you get on?

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I thought you were selling yours?

Not at that price he isn't ! :D

---------- Post added at 15:28 ---------- Previous post was at 15:26 ----------

Have a try on the Wey next time you go - it's solid with Roach and some real good ones amongst them.

Really ? Like the sound of that but also solid with minner is it not ? I had heard one of the beats throws up some good roach.

Feel free to pm me and we can compare details ;)

B

binka

A very impromptu day on the river today, having settled down this morning to do my month end I decided that I really wasn’t in the mood and by 11am I had donned the waders and was wandering the riverbank looking for a likely spot to enter the water and run the stick through.

A completely free and easy day with an hour here, a couple of hours there and a fair few swims covered by the end of it.

Plenty of netter chub to around a pound with a better stamp size today of around 6oz, the same for the bigger dace and plenty of roach along with a few perch to a light stick rig and maggot…

I was kept well entertained by a pike who’s aerobatic prowess was significantly better than his timing and when he did get it right I managed to get him in the net and a lovely marked fish it was too…

All very pleasant and thoroughly enjoyable, I must plan to not plan more often :)

:w

Hugh Bailey

Reaction score
Really ? Like the sound of that but also solid with minner is it not ? I had heard one of the beats throws up some good roach.

Feel free to pm me and we can compare details ;)

Not caught a minnow there since about 1970 (famous last ones :) ). Lots of bleak though. The beat with the bridge I mentioned before, and one before that are good. And very quiet.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Just a couple of hours today and not much, wrong waves, must have the right waves....
However did catch this pretty fish, not sure what it was. A few small whiting from the other anglers and I had one fairly good knock but just a bare hook when I pulled it in..

PS lovely pics Binka.

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
Lovely pics and great photos Steve! What reel is that? My powers of refusal are weakening and I may decide to take the plunge ! Mike

Pete Shears

Reaction score
A very cool breeze greeted me at the reservoir this morning,a reminder autumn is really here,plenty of small fish flipping over in the ripple.Fished two feeder rods and ended up with 3 skimmers and a beautiful 4lb female tench - water still very clear and CRT running water off for the GUC.A kingfisher darted past and kept hovering like an ousize hummingbird over the open water in search of its breakfast. Still time to dust off the spinning & deadbait gear for pike now.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I fished horseshoe ledge this afternoon and started off LRF in the rock pools.

Lots of Blennies after scaling down from a 1g jigheads to a split shot rig with size 18 hook and a tiny bit of isome.

Tried of the deep side of the ledge for a bass to no avail and the had to vacate quickly due to the tide.

Looks like a blenny after comparing Neil's pics...

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I used to find hundreds of them in the rock pools or even under rocks on the beach on Anglesey. I'd just pick them up with me hand, deffo couldn't be bothered fishing for 'em lol.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Could it be a butterfish Mark?

Edited to add: Or more likely a blenny of some description?

Nothing intended with the link by the way, it was the best one I could find...

An idiots guide to U.K. blenny species.
Thanks Binka, looks like it was the common blenny from the pictures, it had the unusual head shape which you cannot see much in my picture. I thought it was a blenny but was not sure. Not much of a catch but a fish is a fish and idiots guides are fine by me, no worries, I have a stack of them on my bookshelf:)
I was hoping for a Bass Peter, that's what I was fishing for but apart from a few small whiting caught no Bass. We get a run of big ones now to December, something to do with following the gulf stream I think; 10/12 + pounders turn up now and then. Mackerel probably ended now but I was told they are still getting plenty in the boats.

Last edited:
B

binka

If I were writing a chapter for a Crabtree book it couldn’t have been scripted better than this morning’s events.

Trapesing across fields in the darkness with a heavy dew that was almost, but not quite, white with the threat of a frost and armed with some home dug lobworms it was an intended perch session after a much needed break from them.

Rod rings hastily threaded by silhouette against a rapidly lightening skyline and homemade perch bobber slid up the line to be trotted through top ‘n bottom whilst the river rolled with mist, which in turn hid the crashing on the surface caused by the rolling fish in the distance, I just about managed to rig up with hands practically shaking with anticipation.

I’ve never fished this particular swim other than in times of flood and I wasn’t too sure what to expect at low water level but after plumbing up and straining to see the float in the misty half-light I still found a good five feet beyond the marginal shelf and a gentle underarm swing soon saw a large lobworm disappear into the river…

The bulk shotting at two thirds depth had barely registered as the float sailed away but my hasty and disbelieving strike was met with nothing.

Bait checked and swung back out and this time it settled but not for long before I could just about make out a few rings coming from around the float and as it slowly sailed away across the surface I struck into something much more definite but I was damned if I could fully see what I was doing!

I bullied the fish to even closer quarters which was when it really began to disagree but it was too late and I was drawing a nice river perch of 2lb 14ozs over the rim of the landing net where it then began its protest, all to no avail, in even stronger terms…

It wasn’t long afterwards that the sun eventually burnt through, the mist evaporating as it did which lit the full light of day and exposed the hopelessly clear and shallow looking swim before me and one of those times when, with such a contrast to earlier, you might just have glanced back and wondered if you had actually dreamt it all?

Very little happened once the sun got up, a few smaller fish but those few minutes of magic were what it is all about for me.

Soppy git! :w

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Very little happened once the sun got up, a few smaller fish but those few minutes of magic were what it is all about for me.

Soppy git! :w

FFS...where's the effin Kleenex ;) :D.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Thanks for the first pic Binks, I've often wondered what the world looked like at FFS o'clock............;)