How did you get on?

wawaw1867

Reaction score
An hour or so spinning on local canal this morning. A one and a half Jack on first Chuck then nothing else. Better than laying in bed even if I did have a whisky or two last night :D

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Very calm sea and only frozen lug for bait so, not expecting much. In the end it was all immaterial anyway as my reel handle broke after the first cast, so rolled a fag and just had a Condor moment and went home. Still, a nice day to fail miserably in; small mercies. There are a couple of Turnstones in that picture somewhere.

Last edited:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
image10.jpeg

View image in gallery

My peg this morning on the Thames at Shillingford, Oxon on an interclub match -
Tring v Wycombe. 13 anglers on each team.

Pole at 11m in 12' of slow flowing water, single maggot over dark roach groundbait and it was bites from the off @9:15am. As the sun rose above the bridge and onto the water after an hour or so, the bites predictably slowed to nothing.... I reckoned I had at least 3lb by then so a fair start while others around me struggled.

Time for a different attack...

2 big droppers of chopped worm down to my right on a topkit only, then whole worm on the hook and I winkled out some small perch from the dark edge until the sun once more illuminated it and it switched off....

Noticed a very pretty Victorian boathouse across on the other bank....

Ate my sarnies and chopped and changed between my 2 lines and picked off the odd small fish but hope of a decent weight had faded. A couple more roach during the last half hour and the whistle sounded...

3lb:11 at the scales for about 12th overall but as a team Tring won beating Wycombe (on their home venue) 51lb to 39lb :w

Last edited:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Thanks S, I wasn't even set up when I noticed what a great pic that could be so I stopped and snapped it before it disappeared.....
Not bad for a 5 yr old iPhoneS.....

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Fished the Deep pool i looked at today .

Huge catch never had such a catch before 1 yep you got it 1 perch that would have needed at least 5 partners to fill a sardine tin sun total .

Nice to meet itsfishing there ( i owe you for th4e Worms Ian ) .

Had a walk round the place after i packed up you can get all the way round bit muddy round the back saw a few rather large Carp and a catfish that must have been 15 to 20 lbs will be going back to find how and where to fish it .

PG ...

rubio

Reaction score
Out today and yesterday. Saturday I returned to the same millpool i caught in friday. Some fish queued up quicker this time and bites were more frequent and more hitable. Dark groundbait and red maggot got 'em started. Size was down in general from day before and fewer dace. I seem to be catching roach of different year groups in same area. I'm wondering if they are gathering together for winter. Also wondering if I'll be able to keep in touch with them this year.
Sunday afternoon I visited club lake but the faces on the match boys wasn't encouraging. A stroll round all 3 ponds and I opted to visit another spot on a different river. I'd seen a few roach under the bridge walking past recently and decided to see if they were still there. This time it was bread mash and 5mm breadpunch. Had loads of blade roach and the odd tiny chublet quickly then the action dried up. I'd been feeding hemp on a nearer line for about 2 hours by now and gave that a go. Nothing at all on hemp but bread scored a few better ones around 6 ozs and a pounder, well nearly, on last cast.

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Fished the Council pool up Dudley yesterday, nice and sunny but a chilly wind on top of the tump, guy opposite had been fishing two hours without a bite so started with a couple of reds on an 18 to 2.5lb hooklength, fed sparingly and after about thirty minutes was duly rewarded with a Carp that shot across the pool and broke me with consummate ease :rolleyes: Tied a 16 straight through on 6lb and started again. Hour and a half later, trying worm, the float started to gently bob and move about, finally dipped and a Perch about half a pound was in the net. Thinking I'd eventually "cracked it" continued with same method for another 45 minutes without a twitch:wh Packed up and drove down to see Maggot Dangler's epic struggle with his Perch:), good to put faces to names and have a natter. He gave me some good info on decent parts of the local cuts and I'll probably give that pool a try if the rivers are too far up, I've been told before it holds some big fish

Pete Shears

Reaction score
Two small perch on spinners this afternoon on the reservoir,gorgeous sunshine but the pike were not interested - much the same last Saturday when I had four pike and a perch ,all on spinners etc except for one scrawny pike of around 4lb caught on half a mackerel- still plenty of wildlife to watch - kestrels,kingfishers,buzzards,white egrets - not so many sloes on the blackthorn this year which will curtail the making & consuming of sloe gin.

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Neil. Thats pretty much where that pic taken. River very low and gin clear.

Other bank to start with 6 nice grayling 3 over the 1lb and about 16 brownies mainly around a lb best 3lb
Beautiful colours.

Swopped banks due sun wind and leaves.

Chaging from 2 mags to 3 led to some better grayling averaging 12oz or so with best a cracking 1.10.

Loads more brownies. So pretty. So bloody annoying.
Had to work hard for the fish and very enjoyable day. Reckoned I fished well today.
Spent time in the faster water upstream but at 2ft max depth couldn't get a touch.
4 bb shouldered stick. Mainly shirtbutton style.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
I fished it a couple of years ago (in February I think) and had a very similar day. A few very nice grayling which at first appeared in two's and three's and then the brownies arrived in numbers and the grayling almost disappeared. A good day on the float but very frustrating.

Most of the group had a similar day but the lower end swims above the bridge produced some big grayling and less trout. Those that went further upstream near to where the river joins struggled even more.

flightliner

Reaction score
Still suffering from "seasonal change " at the moment , and, not having done a quarter of the hemp n tare fishing that I enjoy so much decided to run over to the tidal river trent . With the late nights of late however I decided to leave out the tare and use the hemp with red maggots.
The weather forecast predicted winds in the nor nor east so with lincoln to my back it would mean it would be coming mainly upstream with a little off my right shoulder, the big downside was that the tides were neap-- in laymens terms that meant as low as it gets and today running off to sea all the time I would be there but like most things its a take or leave it thing and I took it.
I love the venue-- best bit of tidal for stick float fishing as you could wish to find, it has it all but today with a miserly four foot of depth nearly three rod lengths out and gin clear it was going to be a struggle but I felt up fot it.
A fourteen foot rod with a five number four shot rated cane stik to a size twenty hook tied to a one point five bs line was the chosen rig with the shirt button shotting made up of nines, eight, and two fours for a finer fall of bait completed things.
Then came the rain, bugg - r!. Umberella time, a thing I hate when I'm stickin it, cant do it sat down so I spent the next twenty mins catapulting hemp and a miserly six maggots a time until the shower passed over, then it was time to get to work.
It was almost an hour before the first bite that was a chunky perch, nice but it was roach I wanted. Maybe twenty minutes later another exactly the same as before.
I had a change and put two maggots on the hook and halway down the swim the float was passing thro the shadow of a far bank tree when it dipped, striking I found myself into a hard fighting fish that was difficult to get off the bottom on the light gear but eventually it appeared in the margins some three foot down.
For a split second I was looking at the broadest back of what I thought was a really chunky perch but OMG -- it was a flounder !!!!
Only some sixty odd miles from Cleethorpes on the Humber!, they dont arf 'ang on. Terrific scrappers on stick float, bring em on, great stuff.
It was just one of those days. Hard work deserves more than I had but angling is like that.
I had the perfect conditions to run a float downstream as straight as a die, a lean but steady feeding regime but by three pm it just didnt look like like it would get any nbetter, at one time I had three very minor dips at the point where my bait would be hitting the bottom so I shallowed up in case a few fish were up in the water intercepting the falling hemp but it was no differant, so back to fishing my original depth and and guess what ???? Yes, another flounder!!!!.
Looking on the bright side it was my best ever catch of these flatties in a lifetime on the river, had numerous "singles" but two in a day and on the float is most unusual, never seen it before.
Anyway, six perch n two flounders after five hours stood up with only the odd ten minute break for the odd heavy shower saw me packing up.
It might all be very differant next week as the tides are some of the biggest in the year, nine point six metre tides at albert dock in hull will definately colour up the river ----------- I have a cunning plan !!!