How did you get on?

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
I can't say what I would have done in your position as it would be moderated away :mad:.

Thanks Tigger

My big problem is i cant run these days just lolop along so muppet on bike was gone before i could even get up i will know the bike if i see it again and hopefully i am on my feet when i do ....know what i mean .

PG ...

rubio

Reaction score
Fishing opportunities few of late but a stolen hour became 3 yesterday on the river, and similar at club pond today.
The river was low and clear but moving thro ok . Not a sign of a fish yet first cast brought out a roach which through total numptiness I managed to lose in a reed bed downstream. Drag set so light it wasn't really there at all. At least the rig was simple to renew. A size 12 B520 and a single swan shot 18inches up the mainline.Flake on the hook and a gentle underarm with my 8ft wand into the shallow main run. It's a great rod for these small rivers and bends a treat with anything more than a pound on the end. Another roach very quickly, around 8ozs. A couple of missed bites. Moved the shot to within 6ins of hook and in again. I've been able to read reports from you regulars on here to keep my interest up in the absence of any fish of my own and paid attention to some observations of fish shoaling in shallow faster stretches. I seemed to have dropped on another similar occurrence. This swim is less than knee deep yet came up with a roach, or at least a bite every cast for nearly 2 hours. Best was not much over the pound but most stayed in 8-10 ozs class. Eventually it all stopped following a chub around 3lbs visiting every corner of the swim.
Today with some bread left over I had a look see at club lake. Took some small roach on the whip to punch but never got a run going. As it got darker I took up the wand again, still set up as was and whilst I packed away it sat and fished. Then it pulled forward very abruptly. On the end, a most welcome chrismas crucian. I sat on further for another, this one plump as you like like and weighing 2lbs 9ozs. One more before I really really had to go, but I was chuffed with my lot.
Car temp gauge said 10.5 degrees when I set off home! I've been out on colder solstices in summer.

john step

Reaction score
Went piking locally as I have been up and down the A1 to the South again and just couldn't face much of a drive.

Blankety blank. One dropped run. I had more success feeding a greedy robin that had a taste for pieces of pilchard!

Got home and my Demon Circle zander hooks have arrived as recommended by those on my zander hook request thread. They look the business. I shall now have to get trace making.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
No more fishing for me for at least 8 days as I'm entertaining my dear mother this Christmas....

Get your hankies ready .....

Thank you for your support and interest in making HDYGO a continuing and popular thread, I'm amazed its lasted so long and will hopefully keep going in the new year....

Seasons greetings.

Simon....

jimlad

Reaction score
A couple of short trips in the last few days roving for river tees chub. Nothing huge, biggest a little over 4, but they are good looking fish the tees ones and fight very well. Fishing with link ledgered steak or lamprey chunks

1D6E0E7A-F0F4-4C1E-84CA-168ADB35E169_zpstnlb4itl.jpg

CF758C23-0A6C-41EE-961B-38C423F6E73B_zpsf9d7d0e2.jpg

A7890066-B396-4D73-8AB5-60647AEC8334_zpso2sftalc.jpg

I also managed to land my first tees 5 recently, which is something I've been targeting for a few years so I was chuffed with that, 5lb 10oz

40BAD27B-8911-4A47-B9AC-930BB3D65DFA_zpss57ibqbm.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

john step

Reaction score

No fishing today but I finished off a batch of pike floats. Yes I know they are a bit lumpy and not as refined as those in a certain Mr. B's collection but the pike won't mind.:w

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Spent a very pleasant couple of hours on the Canterbury Stour this afternoon. A change of tackle and tactics and give the chub a miss, decided to trot with maggots and catch a few silvers which is exactly what I did.

The pleasure comes from the learning process as someone who is still a novice when it comes to river fishing. So much to learn too, locating the fish, which depth to fish, single, double or a bunch of maggots? I had a dozen fish in that two hours mainly dace with a couple of small roach, there was a pike not far away so the bites were erratic with spells of nothing to then getting a bite a cast a few minutes later.

Two things that stand out, the speed of a dace bite (and many missed) and secondly for a small fish they put up quite a fight. I was standing there wondering if for their size are they one of the strongest fighting fish?

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Last chance before Chrimbo and the kids and grandchildren.
Hard frost and clear skies didn't bode well so was pretty suprised to have a barbel at 2pm about 20mins after arriving.
All quiet untill the last knockings and exactly as the last two trips indications started on the tip at dusk.
Blooming annoying as we need to be off the water an hour after.
Two more barbelly jabs and then time ran out.
Sure with another hour a couple more fish if allowed.

No complains. 4 barbel and a couple of chub in three short sessions in relatively poor conditions.
Working for the fish is sometimes more satisfying than easy catching.
My pet mallard scoffed a lot and was happy nestled between my feet between casts.

Have a great Xmas all.

Graham

Pete Shears

Reaction score
Wildlife watching on the reservoir this morning mainly - six goosanders,umpteen grey lags,pochard,grebes,robins,crows,buzzards & ten ****ing cormorants . . .
Eventually had a stop/start run on the middle deadbait rod striking just fresh air,I think a jack had shaken the hooks out of a small skimmer used as bait - still at least it was sunny,quite warm when the wind eased - might try again on Saturday depending on Storm Barbaras progress.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That's why you only caught large bu99ers..................;)

bb, I had a couple of hours out again today and it caught a load more little bu99ers :w :D.

There was a seriously nasty wind today which combined with the cold air felt like it was burning my hands and me being a "plonker" I carried on and fished through the pain....i'm an arrrrrd bast lol :D.
I had to search for me fish again and spent over half my time walking between swims and climbing up and down bankings. I found plenty otter tracks but they're obviously having no detremental effect on the fish....just wish i'd seen one, I love 'em. Anyhow today was very much the same as my other recent visits with all the fish being chub and all being quite small, but very powerfull for their size. I used one of my CL's today and it made me realise why I like them so much....gott'a be the best reels i've ever used!

Last edited:

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
I managed a couple of hours late afternoon yesterday at a local pond near to me.

Fishing Prawns I had three bites and three Perch, biggest about a pound, great to see the Red tip of the float disappearing under the surface.

Lovely stuff.

Bob

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Having looked at the weather forecast and saw we, here in the deep south, were to get the wet tail end of Storm Barbara on Thursday night and most of Friday, I decided Thursday was the day for probably my last trip of the year. Throop was the destination and the hope was to get a bend in my rod. I knew the river was still very low and clear and the sky bright and sunny. Not the best of conditions so my expectations were not too high. Yet again, what do I know!

After a bit of loose feeding for 20 minutes or so, three chub in the first 5 trots said otherwise (shame I lost two of them). The chub were certainly up for it as I ended up with one of my best days in terms of numbers for a very long time. I netted a lot of chub in the 5 hours or so as well as losing a few too many.

I weighed one of the bigger looking examples which was a couple of ounces short of 6lbs. I reckon most were around 4:08 to 5:08 and were hooked well down the end of a shallow swim.

They predictably slowed up after the first couple of hours but after I switched to a loaded dumpy waggler with just a BB shot down the line, fishing about 4 feet depth, they really started to queue up.

Rog Hill

Reaction score
Obviously the method works well Neil. Jimmy and I were opposite the gate swim at the weekend up to our whatsits and the water was bloody freezing (must get some neoprene waders). The chub obliged though with Jimmy getting a PB at just on 6lb. Although every bite came from right at the end of the swim.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Having looked at the weather forecast and saw we, here in the deep south, were to get the wet tail end of Storm Barbara on Thursday night and most of Friday, I decided Thursday was the day for probably my last trip of the year. Throop was the destination and the hope was to get a bend in my rod. I knew the river was still very low and clear and the sky bright and sunny. Not the best of conditions so my expectations were not too high. Yet again, what do I know!

After a bit of loose feeding for 20 minutes or so, three chub in the first 5 trots said otherwise (shame I lost two of them). The chub were certainly up for it as I ended up with one of my best days in terms of numbers for a very long time. I netted a lot of chub in the 5 hours or so as well as losing a few too many.

I weighed one of the bigger looking examples which was a couple of ounces short of 6lbs. I reckon most were around 4:08 to 5:08 and were hooked well down the end of a shallow swim.

They predictably slowed up after the first couple of hours but after I switched to a loaded dumpy waggler with just a BB shot down the line, fishing about 4 feet depth, they really started to queue up.

Great session.....what a venue though!!

skov

Reaction score
Three mornings in a row I've got up early to grab an hour on the Cam on the way to work.
And three mornings in a row I've blanked...
At least I tried!

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Obviously the method works well Neil. Jimmy and I were opposite the gate swim at the weekend up to our whatsits and the water was bloody freezing (must get some neoprene waders). The chub obliged though with Jimmy getting a PB at just on 6lb. Although every bite came from right at the end of the swim.

And that was the swim I was in, although from the gate swim itself. They are obviously stacked up in that area because of the very low conditions. I did get a few from the top of the swim but most were well down almost in the boulders. Good fun trying to bring them up from down there!

Last week I had them from The Mud but fishing from the Hurn bank.

mikench

Reaction score
No prospect of fishing today in any event but the wind and rain would have prevented it; horrible! Don't know about a brolly or a bivvy, an air raid shelter more like! Roger and out!;)