How did you get on?

robtherake

Reaction score
Tigger posted recently that a bent-out hook is most often the result of foul-hooking. In principle, I'd tend to agree, assuming that the hook has penetrated less deeply and so the pull is applied to the point, rather than the bend. It might explain how perch manage to bend a hook out, given that their bony mouth might have impeded penetration?

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Blimey...

I suspect a dodgy hook there, maybe worth examining the rest of the pack.

I switched to the same hooks, from Korda, as a cheaper alternative and haven't had any problems at all with fish well into double figures although I've not bought any recently.

Yes well this is what i sort of thought as you can imagine but the hooks certainly look beefy enough hope it was just a faulty hook i will be checking the rest out carefully my first Barble woth it and the dang hook let me down miffed ..

PG ...

mikench

Reaction score
"Events dear boy events" as McMillan said! The closest I came to fishing today were the delicious kippers for breakfast;)

mikench

Reaction score
I love kippers even though they repeat on me. I adore kippers even though.......:rolleyes:

Rob have you ever had them from Craster on the Northumberland coast; best kippers around imho!

robtherake

Reaction score
I love kippers even though they repeat on me. I adore kippers even though.......:rolleyes:

Rob have you ever had them from Craster on the Northumberland coast; best kippers around imho!

No, can't say I have. My kipper consumption is infrequent, with hiatuses that are just long enough for me to forget why I don't eat them more regularly. What I do like is smoked cod or haddock in a kedgeree with plenty of flat-leaved Italian parsley. Now, that's nice!

robertroach

Reaction score
Just staying off piste and while we are on the subject of kippers, the best ones I ever had were the oak smoked undyed ones from Cley next the Sea in North Norfolk.

Pete Shears

Reaction score
Out on the reservoir pike fishing again now it has thawed out - first & only run forty minutes after casting in - a pike of around 6lb on a sprat fished on a single hook rig. Sat there behind the brolly which was acting as a windbreak,no fish turning, strong & gusty wind,only three cormorants - not good but better than twelve the last time I was there.A flock of some thirty lapwings kept circling checking the shallower water & slightly flooded banks,wrens hopping about in the willow stumps,a few goosander & grebe.Just on leaving the sun broke through and it immediately felt better - will return tomorrow.

theartist

Reaction score
Had a nice morning today down the park in the sun although it clouded up as the day went on and got quite a bit colder. Set up away from the dog walker chaos with just a brilliantly coloured pheasant on the far bank for company, they really haven't got camouflage nailed, but then neither has the kingfisher which put on a show against the olive backdrop. The fishing was really good as the dace are really starting to shoal up for the jiggy jiggy and were on the feed, no doubt the little bit of colour in the water helped too as the roach and even a couple of skimmers put in an appearance. Managed to rescue four floats from the trees wondering how anyone can fish a 5g pole float in a swim a foot deep! Finished off with a couple of nice chub to end the day nicely.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I had an enjoyable few hours trotting a local back water until the cold wind made it less enjoyable. Fished from 10.30 – 2..30 for three chub with this old warrior the best of the bunch. Single red on an '18' to Drennan FF 3.2lb. Hard going but at least there's a touch of colour in the water now.
11janbkwtr_zpss3aofaq8.jpg

bwchub11jan17_zpslkxctv2o.jpg

Last edited:

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Disappointed that the scheduled Frome trip and Throop dangle Thursday/Friday had to be cancelled due to the weather forecast of sleet and heavy rain followed by bitterly cold north winds Friday.

Decided to console myself with a chub trotting day in the town again. However waking up to gale force wind put paid to that idea.

One advantage of high banks on the Wye means you can usually tuck into the bank somewhere so armed with the barbel rod and pellets I set off at 1pm with little confidence....only knowing the next couple days were sheduled for a drop of snow and plunging temperatures.

Even I was suprised when on the second cast the rod top slammed down and a fiesty 4lb barbel eventually came to the net.
Next cast same thing another one about 5lb slid over the net cord.
Happy enough already, but the fish were still active and 5 more followed over the next hour or so. The best touching 8lb (est)
All quiet for an hour then a couple of missed bites as hands warming in my pockets!

Great, lively, suprising day.

john step

Reaction score
One of those days. Gales so I fished locally for pike where I could get behind shelter.
Two runs. Two hook ups on what felt like decent fish. Two pike came adrift.
Hooks checked nice and sharp.

Damm Damm Damm

Must go onto ebay and see if there any knitting needles or tiddly winks for sale:mad::mad::mad: Might do better.

Still thats piking.:eek:mg:

Pete Shears

Reaction score
Optimistically returned to the reservoir to carry on pike fishing - bit of a wind - cast the baits out quite easily, then the wind really picked up. Around 10.30 during a lull I found two of the three rear rod rests were leaning over,the rods acting as levers with the wind pushing on them,then the line on all three rods pinged out of drop-off bobbins which meant closing the bail arms and using the bait runners instead and the wind strengthened again setting all the alarms beeping like crazy - had enough of this,packed up about 11.30,nearly got blown over carrying the kit back to the car,trees swaying ominously,small branches littering the roads - pike 1 me 0.

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Had hoped to get out this afternoon after Daughters wedding rehersals and collecting the dress ect ect ect .

Got home but the wind was doing it's best to flatten everything in sight . hope it ios better on Sunday .

Just got a new rod i wanted to try out a 14 foot Maver Abyss 2000 match

Have to wait now wont i ... blast .

PG ...

mikench

Reaction score
Car all packed and flask of coffee made when 5 minutes ago the phone rang. My Dad wondered if I could go over and take him to Lidl, check his tyre pressures and take him to have his hearing checked. I just couldn't say sorry Dad I am going fishing:(

The weather looks more promising for tomorrow and Saturday anyway so will be content with that!:) nice trip to Lytham if the weather holds off! Well you only get one dad;)

john step

Reaction score
Car all packed and flask of coffee made when 5 minutes ago the phone rang. My Dad wondered if I could go over and take him to Lidl, check his tyre pressures and take him to have his hearing checked. I just couldn't say sorry Dad I am going fishing:(

The weather looks more promising for tomorrow and Saturday anyway so will be content with that!:) nice trip to Lytham if the weather holds off! Well you only get one dad;)

I know the feeling. Only I am running 160 miles each way up and down the A1 too regularly for the same sort of reason.:eek:mg:

mikench

Reaction score
I understand John! My trip is about 70 miles each way but can take nearly 2 hours if the traffic is bad. It was fine yesterday! Dad and Mum were thrilled to see me so well worth while! His tyre pressures were fine; these electronic sensors are useless!!

john step

Reaction score
OK Not sure if this is the correct place but here is the before and after photo of my garage after the post about Binkas OCD one:D

So.........as requested by Binka

Two trips to the dump. I even found two bags of part used cement that had turned to rock. Now where did they come from:eek::eek:

Damm only one came up. Will try for the first one.

There you go.

Last edited: