How did you get on?

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Lovely descriptive post from 'the artist'...............had me sitting on the bank..

Do any of the fish make the 'pot' ??

theartist

Reaction score
Lovely descriptive post from 'the artist'...............had me sitting on the bank..

Do any of the fish make the 'pot' ??

Thanks TC but no, my dad always bought me up to put them back even if they are common is some areas. Wouldn't want the rivers to get like they are round here where only the 'elite' can fish for trout or grayling

steve2

Reaction score
A good couple of hours out, blanked, made a note of what I saw.
Buzzards, herons, kingfisher, Blue, Great and long tailed tits, robin, reed buntings amongst others. Rabbits and Hares.
Some people spend hours watching birds but never see what an anglers sees in a few hours.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Today being the mildest day for the next week at least, I had to get out on the bank somewhere, but where? Ummed and aaahed for a while and decided on the closest place with the shortest walk.....

The GUC at a spot where the Colne crosses the canal diagonally and used as a turning bay for the boats. A nice steady flow from right to left ideal for a long trot. Set up 4bb waggler to 22 b511 to 0:08 link. Not a touch in the first hour until I dropped my float in front of me while a boat went past. While I waited there was a definite bobble on the float so I lifted it to find this hanging on to my single pinkie....

Blank out of the way I persevered with the trotting out in the open water and still nothing. Decided to rest and eat my sarnies and have a cuppa...
First run through after that a positive bite jerked the float under and I landed this very welcome dace....

After that I had one more but smaller still....
Although the sun was out I was sitting in the shade and my fingers started to get cold so I packed up..

rubio

Reaction score
Had a couple of sessions since my last post here and thankfully been getting plenty of bites. Weather out east has been rather more clement than much of the country, as it often is. Easterlies coming may change all that.
Anyway a small bucket of liquidised bread and a fresh loaf was all I needed for a fine 3 hours of mainly roach and rudd at club lake. Reports had suggested it was a struggle to get anything much there of late but 7 degrees overnight at the end of last week encouraged them to munch heartily.
I got a couple of small crucians too which is always welcome. Also had a little common about 4lbs, then a whopping 3lbs3oz crucian. Closer inspection lefty me doubting it's true heritage tho. There are some over 2lbs mark that look 'real' so maybe. Will have a try to put up some photos sometime to get you knowledgeable chaps to give your opinion.
I often feel like I'm wasting valuable river time fishing ponds in february so sunday I took rest of my bait to local river to see if the roach were still in situ. Whilst I did get a few I think the swim was a little too shallow for a good bag. Or it may just have been the chub bullying 'em out. Previously I haven't had a single chub there in 5 visits this year, not even a tiddler, despite there being history of good 'uns in past winters. I had 3 of them, and lost another, for 11lbs 8oz. Nice fish and one looked like a 5lber but tho long was 'empty' and a bit washed out. Good ol' scrap on 2lb bottom tho. All came on link leger as I couldn't get a touch on the float. Can't have everything tho. Where would you keep it?

Pete Shears

Reaction score
Back to pike bothering on the reservoir this morning,flat calm with four or five cormorants hunting in a pack.
Refreshing my waiting skills I sat back in glorious sunshine for most of the time - no bites whatsoever with only buzzards,kestrel,ravens and the usual smaller birds for company.The only bleep from an alarm was when a robin perched on one of the rods.
I wonder if it's the cormorants panicking the bait fish which in turn is unsettling the pike ?

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Just got in having spent a day on the Dorset Frome with Sir Rog Hill. To say I am knackered is putting it mildly.... up at 0430 and the best part of a 6 hour round trip. Beautiful place though....proper country.

Sadly the river was not in good nick. Absolutely barrelling through making trotting a bit of a lottery. Rog lent me a proper float as I had nothing remotely up to the job and I fished like a bloody hero running my float through a bit of slightly slower and less turbulent water on the far bank of the swim that gave Neil a couple of 3 pounders earlier in the season. No such luck today but I did manage a nice sea trout. After a move looking for slower water it soon became clear that float fishing really wasn't going to work today so out with the tip rods. Within minutes Rog was into a lump which ( had it got off) would undoubtedly have been a salmon but was actually a beautiful fully scaled common of around 13-14 lb. Rather skillfully netted by yours truly in Rog's dainty little grayling net. Sweet corn.

I had another sea trout on corn and so did Rog and lost another. He then suffered a series of unhittable bites. I joined him and I too had the same.... a savage yank out of nowhere but no connection. Very odd. Rog also had a bullhead.......and it rained and I got very wet. Once again I trusted the Met Office and didn't take a coat. When will I learn ?

So.... the assault on the Frome grayling did not go quite as planned but a great day out with great company in a lovely part of the world. Thanks Rog.

---------- Post added at 21:28 ---------- Previous post was at 20:30 ----------

I have a pic of Rog's carp on my phone. Can anybody tell me how to post it ?

Last edited:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
image17.jpeg

View image in gallery

Rog's carp

wrighty64

Reaction score
had a day on ian heaps fishery in wales and more than happy with result ian gave me a few pointers on casting and feeding.Carp came on late afternoon resulting in 3 around 5-7 lb finishing with a lump 10-12lb great on a light bomb rod with 4.2 lb line and also a pb after a return to angling after some 15 yrs aiming to go back later in week

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Impressive carp and even more impressive netting it :)

You were unlucky Skippy, the river was fining down nicely but the rain late on Monday brought it back up again. It's OK today :eek:mg:

Sorry I couldn't get down to see you but had other things apparently far too important to attend to. I would have enjoyed handing out a lot of advice :wh

Oh by the way, I've only had the one 3lber!

---------- Post added at 19:13 ---------- Previous post was at 19:08 ----------

Pete Shears

Reaction score
Instead of waiting for pike to feel hungry,I tried the upper Soar today : grey,overcast & cold but very little wind making it bearable.
First swim on a wide-ish bend,legering flake in a slacker back eddy - had a bite instantly and made an almighty cock-up of it.
Recasting saw a chub of 1lb 8oz in the net followed by another of 1lb 12oz and yet another of 2lb 10oz.Switching to legered worm saw a brown trout of 10oz grace the net, then the swim died.
In the fourth swim tried another chub of 2lb 2oz came to the net,might have to sell the pike gear - tried two more swims and with no more bites and a light drizzle starting,time for home.

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Well done Rog. Nice looking carpus.

Well netted Skips.....no eels.?

Im On Frome 15th. Hopefully river will be kinder.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Do what skip????

Rotate the picture. Maybe I sent too big ?

---------- Post added at 20:18 ---------- Previous post was at 20:13 ----------

Impressive carp and even more impressive netting it :)

You were unlucky Skippy, the river was fining down nicely but the rain late on Monday brought it back up again. It's OK today :eek:mg:

Sorry I couldn't get down to see you but had other things apparently far too important to attend to. I would have enjoyed handing out a lot of advice :wh

Oh by the way, I've only had the one 3lber!

---------- Post added at 19:13 ---------- Previous post was at 19:08 ----------

Yes, you're right. I remember now Rog said 2 x 3 pounders but not both yours. Nice swim that btw... just a shame there was too much water on yesterday. You can't fail to have a good day out with Rog though. Great company.

Barely used one pint too !

---------- Post added at 20:20 ---------- Previous post was at 20:18 ----------

Would that be the one that you use for your Zs Skip....................;)

Stopped taking a net, Jerry. No point carrying something I don't need :eek:mg:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The weather looked ok this morning with clear'ish sky's and very little wind but as the day progressed a seriously biting wind got up and the sky's clouded over and it looked as though the heavens could open up at any moment! I decided to risk it and go trotting...anyhow I got to the river at 2.30 and speed marched to a banker swim only to find it void of any willing fish. I was glad to move from that swim as the down stream wind was making my hands ache with pain, the temp's where 5 degrees according to the car thermometer but the wind made it feel well below that! I speed marched to the next swim in an effort to warm up a little. After only a couple of trotts through I got a fish on , i'd hooked the fish at around 60yds downstream and as chub very often do it kited across the flow to the bank and managed to leave my hook in a branch...sometimes I really hate chub! Another couple of trotts through and I had a take in the same area but this time I literally skull dragged the chub upstream, even with those heavy handed tactics it still managed to kite to the bank though and very nearly did the same trick as the other one F****in Bast's them chub lol. No more showed in that swim so I got back on shank's pony and moved further down river. I had noticed a few otter tracks up stream but in this swim I was stood directly on a holt with a very shinny slide down the banking which went directly into the swim! Anyhow after only a couple of trotts through the float pulled under and chub on :). I finished up with eight chub in total but nothing of any size, not that I was bothered as I know there's very rarely any large fish in these parts, I was just happy to have had a bit of sport. Here's a couple of pic's from the session....

Last edited:

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Got up Early this morning took a trip down to the Salwarpe hoping for a decent days fishing got there to find it was liquid mud not water but tried had a few good pulls but nothing converted to fish in net walked all the way round to the Severn but nothingh more than pulls on the line .

So packed in about mid day and headed back up here onto the canal and had a nice afternoon catching more reasonable sized "rudoach" and a few perch about 8oz on 2 red maggots on a 20 hook with a 1.5g waggler change to 1 maggot no takers 3 maggots no takers 2 was the number .

See what Sunday brings now

PG ...

peterjg

Reaction score
Yesterday, for a change, I roach fished the K&A canal instead of the river Kennet. Started at first light in a spot where the Kennet actually runs into the canal. I kept catching brownies and one rainbow trout so moved about 200 yards away in an attempt to find some roach and get away from the trout. No good, in the new swim I was still being pestered by the trout. Bait was bread layed-on using a 20ft rod and all the bites were nice, slow easy to hit bites. At last, just as it started to get dark I had a half hearted tentative bite which I missed - surely a roach I thought? By now I was getting really cold and could only just make out the float in the gloom, another twitchy bite and I actually managed to catch a roach!

Ended up with 16 trout between about 1 - 3lbs and a 3 inch roach!