How did you get on?

nicepix

Reaction score
Spent the afternoon / evening on the River Glane aka Dingly Dell. Left home at 3pm and was fishing by half past. Didn't forget anything this time :w which was just as well as I had my carte de peche (rod licence) checked by the Garde de Peche for the first time. Really nice chap too. :)

I started fishing a seam just upstream of a patch of lilies. First couple of casts resulted in small roach to red worm bait and I decided to switch baits as I don't like wasting worms on small fish. I prefer to save them for the barbeaux. So I switched to micro pellet banded onto a 16 hook, 1-14 hook length to 4lb mono fished on my little 'River Don Special' five foot quiver rod and Daiwa 1500 reel.

Started catching roach from the off. Casting a 1/4 oz bomb slightly upstream and letting about 6 or 7 feet of line bow out downstream then firing a dozen or so mixed micro halibut and chicken pellets in by catapult. I had three roach in successive casts using same pellet :D Each successive roach was slightly bigger than the one before and eventually the tappety-tap bites became single knock and drop backs as the roach began to top the 4 oz mark. I got a bit giddy then and put in two small balls of groundbait that effectively killed the swim for a good (or bad) half-hour or so. :(

Once the fish returned I continued the loose feeding every cast and soon got them back into the feeding mood. I reckon I had 30 to 40 roach in around four hours and the river continued its habit of throwing up a new species every visit with a tiny rudd. My first ever and a total surprise. I'd seen splashy rises when I'd fished before and thought they were dace. Now I'm not so sure and will have to investigate with my fly rod. The biggest roach would have been 9 or 10 ounces and gave a good account on the little rod in the faster part of the current.

While fishing there today it occurred to me that in total I was using less than £100 of tackle and bait - all in. The rod was £25 from Dawsons of Sheffield last time I was in England two years back. The reel was €30 from Decathalon. My bag is an Aldi £9.99 special, the line I'd had ages as part of a bulk spool, the seat cost around a tenner from Argos around 15 years ago and my net was another tenner from an estate auction. Probably the most luxurious part of the kit was the pre-tied hooks to nylon I bought about 7 years ago following a serious eye injury that stopped me being able to tie my own for a few years. Bait was worms from my own wormery and a handfull of pellets. Even the groundbait was stale breadcrumbs mixed with a bit of ground hemp, maize and pellets. I was sat there like a little gnome as happy as Larry :D

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Started catching roach from the off. Casting a 1/4 oz bomb slightly upstream and letting about 6 or 7 feet of line bow out downstream then firing a dozen or so mixed micro halibut and chicken pellets in by catapult. I had three roach in successive casts using same pellet :D Each successive roach was slightly bigger than the one before and eventually the tappety-tap bites became single knock and drop backs as the roach began to top the 4 oz mark. I got a bit giddy then and put in two small balls of groundbait that effectively killed the swim:D

Glad you enjoyed your day mon ami.
Your last sentence above reflects my experience exactly.
Had you carried on feeding little and often those roach could have got bigger and bigger.
I don't take groundbait to the river anymore for that very reason.

andreagrispi

Reaction score
Went Wednesday and Thursday, had 3 figure catches both days including bream of 13.13 and 13.03 and tench to 8.8.

flightliner

Reaction score
Went after a barbel or two on a tiny notts stream yesterday, real jungle jim fishing, weed choked from bank to bank with only the odd tiny "hole" to place a baited hook.
Very very difficult fishing amongst hi brambles n nettles but acheived what I wanted.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
flightliner....does that mean you caught a barbel or did you fall in ??

Fishing wise, and had I taken notice of the chaps at the Met office, ( I need to come to terms with incorrect info from them..) I would not have gone this morning because they said fire and brimstone through the morning with lots of thunder etc etc which, as we all know, is a no-no with fishing rods.
I stood, at 4.15am, looking down the garden thinking, it looks pretty good with nice low cloud and that 'after summer rain' feel to the air but I really didn't want go and get soaked just for a few hours when I'd fished four times already this week.
In the end I went and a very enjoyable day it was too with lots of roach on the punch and flake taking the odd better fish. I continually watched the skies but still managed to miss the cloud carrying a very heavy downpour which totally caught me out! It lasted five minutes at 7am and even with me charging around like a mad thing trying to get the brollie up still soaked every thing....

Major storm, what major storm ?? Well apart from a rumble of thunder at 11am the morning was dry and by the time I left so was the gear..

It's strange how some mornings just have that magic feel to them; warm, muggy with low cloud made it one of those mornings and I felt at peace with everything.....even the pristine 8" roach laying in the landing net made me smile...........

Can't wait to go again..

barbelboi

Reaction score
Coincidently I was also awake at silly o’clock (4.15am’ish) bloody pigeon – still went back to sleep and was out at the respectable time of 9.30, Never got wet either..................;)

slaphead

Reaction score
I fished a club water on Wednesday afternoon.

Just me and the ducks on, bliss.

Almost two hours I had caught 2 roach and two perch which wouldn't have troubled anyone's scales, so I decided to change the bait from maggots to a Steve Ringer's Banded Allsort.

6lb main line, 3lb hook link and size 14 hook along with a free Angler's Mail 5BB float produced this after a 30 minute fight.

[URL="http://

flightliner

Reaction score
flightliner....does that mean you caught a barbel or did you fall in ??

Fishing wise, and had I taken notice of the chaps at the Met office, ( I need to come to terms with incorrect info from them..) I would not have gone this morning because they said fire and brimstone through the morning with lots of thunder etc etc which, as we all know, is a no-no with fishing rods.
I stood, at 4.15am, looking down the garden thinking, it looks pretty good with nice low cloud and that 'after summer rain' feel to the air but I really didn't want go and get soaked just for a few hours when I'd fished four times already this week.
In the end I went and a very enjoyable day it was too with lots of roach on the punch and flake taking the odd better fish. I continually watched the skies but still managed to miss the cloud carrying a very heavy downpour which totally caught me out! It lasted five minutes at 7am and even with me charging around like a mad thing trying to get the brollie up still soaked every thing....

Major storm, what major storm ?? Well apart from a rumble of thunder at 11am the morning was dry and by the time I left so was the gear..

It's strange how some mornings just have that magic feel to them; warm, muggy with low cloud made it one of those mornings and I felt at peace with everything.....even the pristine 8" roach laying in the landing net made me smile...........

Can't wait to go again..
Tee Cee, I caught barbel.

neil1970

Reaction score
I had a 2.5 hour session today.
2 runs that ended in nothing, and bitten off once.

I spotted a male Yellow Breasted Bunting though! :)

law

Reaction score
Not bad week in France. Was real slow. But then the weather chopped and changed from bright sun, to gale force winds, to thunder storms to torrential rain.

Had 1x40, 4x30's, 1x 20, 1 of 9, a 26.5lb grassie and a 15lb sturgeon.
That's a new common pb, new mirror pb, 1st ever grassie and new strugeon pb.
Walking baits out to the margin paid off...

10494624_10152125592232307_5775984264522017014_n.jpg

With this...

10410100_10152125592702307_2276047079772556236_n.jpg

42lb common
10492489_10152125592902307_1646430053100007177_n.jpg

10485387_10154318976705254_5590891812217851250_n.jpg

10347541_10154318976930254_3019822586725079949_n.jpg

Birthday on the bank!

10482529_10152125592147307_3394293201612593527_n.jpg

10347410_10152125594382307_8811072804287488684_n.jpg

10440888_10152125592607307_7823155738315374461_n.jpg

And the obligatory stop off to show some respect....

10386816_10152125594587307_4442753832039705506_n.jpg

10478536_10152125594637307_1065066719353012943_n.jpg

barbelboi

Reaction score
I had a 2.5 hour session today.
2 runs that ended in nothing, and bitten off once.

I spotted a male Yellow Breasted Bunting though! :)

Neil, had a tough day there on Thursday - two small barbel to around 6/7bs - hot, lots of sunshine and I reckon you've already mugged the ones that want to feed ;)although I'm not convinced that spawning is over - however saw lots of birds that i couldn't identify (I'm pretty cr@p on bird ID) plus a sparrow hawk, a few red kites and, the icing on the cake, a kingfisher.................

co1_zpsadbc8740.jpg

PS Binka, the old seat's still going strong.........;)

neil1970

Reaction score
Nice one Jerry.:)

I reckon you're right, they seemed a lot shyer today, and there were a lot of fish present I reckon.

I saw a kingfisher there about week ago when I wasn't fishing.

This bird came and sat on the small stump sticking out of the top of the weir, just obscured by your reel in the pic, then flew under the bush to the left.

Last edited:

lambert1

Reaction score
Had another after work session last night, one small chub, but at least I did not blank. Had a chat with a long time member of the club who gave me some very good advice and info on the rivers and complimented me on using a centrepin, so all in all still a good night!

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Rather than start a new thread I'll let this one run for now.

Today we fished a club fixture on the river Thame, a tributary of the Thames near Oxford.
My first visit to the venue which the Tring anglers actually own outright.. Real Mr Crabtree stuff.
It sits on an island with the main river down one side and a backwater down the other.
I drew on the main river. It was coloured nicely with a slow flow.
Just fished light 0.8gr stick float on my 15ft rod and antique Abu 501 reel for the entire match ( 6 hours ) started on punch and hooked a decent fish first chuck but it, and the next fish both fell off...Peg died for half an hour after that so I stopped for a while and fed a pinch of maggots every minute or so.
Bites started again on single maggot, mainly chublets and gudgeon.
Finished 3rd with 1lb 3 oz, Winner had 2lb 2oz second had 1lb 8 oz.
21 fished....

Last edited:

flightliner

Reaction score
Rather than start a new thread I'll let this one run for now.

Today we fished a club fixture on the river Thame, a tributary of the Thames near Oxford.
My first visit to the venue which the Tring anglers actually own outright.. Real Mr Crabtree stuff.
It sits on an island with the main river down one side and a backwater down the other.
I drew on the main river. It was coloured nicely with a slow flow.
Just fished light 0.8gr stick float on my 15ft rod and antique Abu 501 reel for the entire match ( 6 hours ) started on punch and hooked a decent fish first chuck but it, and the next fish both fell off...Peg died for half an hour after that so I stopped for a while and fed a pinch of maggots every minute or so.
Bites started again on single maggot, mainly chublets and gudgeon.
Finished 3rd with 1lb 3 oz, Winner had 2lb 2oz second had 1lb 2 oz.
21 fished....
Are those weights the wrong way round Peter?:confused:

Last edited:

The Runner

Reaction score
Had a bit of a mare in club match at Willows, London Colney. (Main lake, field bank)
Decided beforehand that if nothing was happening around me after an hour on the feeder to go on pole for roach and skimmers. Hour gone, nothing happening for me (peg 28) but 27 to my left had a carp and a bream , and could see 32 having the odd bream so decided to stay with the feeder . Mistake...
27 won it with 62-14, I had three skimmers (lost three more at the net, definitely one of those days) and a perch for 2-8 ! Could see that quite a few in the lower numbers had switched to pole early on so stayed with feeder as would always be playing catch up if I changed later and was sure would pick up a few proper fish eventually.
Still beat the peg on my right though who had 6oz...

Weights at our end were a bit erratic to say the least; from 27 upwards it went
62-14
2-8
0-6
21-7
52-7
Blank

Most of those who went on pole early had between 15 and 20 lb, but were never going to compete, although third did snare three small carp on caster as well as a load of bits to end up with 25 lb something

nicepix

Reaction score
Yesterday I had another evening session at the River Glane on the Site de Corot. The weather forecast was for showers and storms so I dressed accordingly......

And yes, that is the famous 'River Don Special' in action again :) I settled in a swim with another patch of lilies and fished basically the same method as on Thursday; 1/4 oz bomb, 8" leader to 16 hook with banded halibut micro pellets or stewed wheat as hook bait and loose fed every cast with a mixture of halibut pellets, chicken pellets and a few grains of stewed wheat...

We had heavy rain overnight and that resulted in a lot of leaves in the river. I had a lot of problems with leaves dislodging the upstream ledger and had to position the rod tip a lot lower than I would have liked......

Casting just upstream of the lilies, within 2 feet from them resulted in most bites. There was a significant bar just at the end of the lilies that ran across most of the river so it formed a natural gully. I got bites on halibut pellets, chicken pellets and also on wheat. This was the stamp of most of the fish........

The first fish was a rudd about the same size as that roach and for once the river did not produce a new species for the venue. Just rudd and roach.

After an hour or so the weather Gods decided to play ziggy-ziggy-boom-boom and two violent storms passed through.........

I got home for around 7pm to find that a mature oak about 200 yards from our house had been struck by lightening and was in the process of being dragged from the road. It had taken out the power line so dinner was delayed for an hour or so :(

I am planning a mullet trip in the camping car next weekend. Two of my sisters-in-law are due to arrive on Thursday and I'll be off Friday morning once I've finished my mole trapping jobs. We've just heard that one of the silly tarts has broke her leg and might not be coming. I'm praying that at least one of them arrives so I can get the green light to head for Marans.

<Edit> Forgot to mention that the swim died again for around half an hour and no use of groundbait this time. Methinks a livebait rod might be a good idea next time.

Last edited: