How did you get on?

mikench

Reaction score
What's a salade Mike?

Is it like a kebab but with more meat?

:D
A salade Nicoise is lettuce, tuna , tomatoes ,black olives, onions, anchovies, boiled egg and olive oil. Imagine all those ingredients in a circular bread 6 " diameter with a crusty top! The name means bathing bread i.e. a sandwich for the beach ! It is delicious!

If anyone cares to join me I will treat you all!!:rolleyes:

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Mate, your bread to filling ratio looks all to cock!

Yes i thought that as well the meat needs to be at least the thickness of one of the slices of bread if not a bit more :D and just where is the English Mustard ? :wh ..

PG ...

---------- Post added at 20:04 ---------- Previous post was at 19:59 ----------

Put 3 hours on the local cut in today ..

Not a single nibble nada nowt zero zilch :mad: and i wernt the only one to blank quite a few did .
Hope this aint put the mockers on Sundays trip to the stour ..

PG ...

B

binka

A salade Nicoise is lettuce, tuna , tomatoes ,black olives, onions, anchovies, boiled egg and olive oil. Imagine all those ingredients in a circular bread 6 " diameter with a crusty top! The name means bathing bread i.e. a sandwich for the beach ! It is delicious!

So...

No 'proper' meat then?

Just fish and green stuff?

I will take you up on your offer though Mike, very kind of you too and make mine a double (with added donkey hind, medium to rare) :):):)

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
Just to clear up the all important bread to filling issue... :D

I have new neighbours and the bloke builds bespoke ovens for restaurants and bakeries, he's done this for nigh on thirty years.

The first thing he has to do, upon installation, is test fire the oven and the by product of which is seen in the earlier picture, yesterday afternoon he turned up at the front door (yet again) with a paper sack full of freshly baked loaves.

I'm beginning to think I'm on some sort of secret guinea pig programme, it's a tough job but someone's got to do it :)

I've had everything in the last six months including iced loaves but believe me his bread is something that doesn't need the taste drowning out, more complimenting with something to titillate the alternative taste buds.

And believe me...

I, of all people, can really pack a sarnie out! :D

Mmm.....freshly baked loaves, I'd be thinking of back end of season big chub on nice white thick crusty loaf.......popped up off of the deck :D
Trouble is that I'd be sitting there eating it meself aswell :D

---------- Post added at 20:48 ---------- Previous post was at 20:33 ----------

So day one of the weekend went well.

Got to the lakes by 08:00 having stopped off at the local shop for provisions (KitKat, Sausage Roll and Deli Pastrami Sandwich - my usual lazy fishing diet).

Got the new seat-box setup and started to worry about all the various bits sticking out everywhere. Mahoosive side tray on left, ground bait bowl and smaller tray on right, feeder arm, keep-net arm, brolley arm and a strange looking foam bumpy bar thing. I quickly discovered that my bait tubs are too big for my side trays, or the trays are too small. I can't get two tubs next to each other.

I also found that with the trays at the right height it preclude the opening of the cross drawers due to the knuckles of the attachments.

Anyway, setup a feeder rod with a Preston interchange banjo-feeder, loaded it up with pellets and ground-bait with a tiny boilie hiding in the middle and out it went, to be followed by a few balls of nicely fluffed up ground bait (I bought a riddle too). After an hour of aggressive liners but no proper takes I decided to switch over to the waggler rod.

I took the opportunity to have a rethink about the placement of all the various attachments etc around the box and got a bit more organised.

A swim about 8 metres out was baited and we were off!! Within half an hour I'd hauled in about 20 skimmers, the biggest about 12oz. Hookbait was two reds alternating with a single grain of corn. They didn't seem to have a preference but I decided to chop and change anyway - two fish on maggots then one on corn, and so on.

Eventually called it a day at 17:00 and when I weighed the days takings I was utterly gobsmacked to find I'd racked up a net of just under 48lb.

So all in all a good day - excellent weather, first class banter with the chap on the next peg and my biggest days haul yet.

The whole seat-box arrangement still needs some thought, and to be honest I probably would do well to try and simplify it all, but overall I'm pleased with it.

Roll on tomorrow - a lazy chair day on the Beult with bankside sausage sandwiches.

NIce one, well done mate, good to hear that you had a good day today and a 48 lb bag is certainly good going :thumbs:

What part of the Beult are you on tomorrow :D

My club on the Beult is between Yalding and Hunton

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro

Very nice..... except for the boiled egg bit. The culinary equivalent of a brim and i dare say very similar tasting. I want neither of the nasty bloody things in my life.

Aye aye......Text from Big Dave just in. He's just had his second 11 pound barbel of the evening. I hate him !

Last edited:
B

binka

---------- Post added at 21:08 ---------- Previous post was at 21:07 ----------

[/COLOR]
Very nice..... except for the boiled egg bit. The culinary equivalent of a brim and i dare say very similar tasting. I want neither of the nasty bloody things in my life.

Awe Skip...

How could anyone not like a boiled egg?

Especially when they're cold and a bit under done, maybe a bit beyond the use by date, and you crunch into a bit of lovely beak? :)

With just the faintest dusting of salt! :D

Last edited:

fishing4luckies

Reaction score
NIce one, well done mate, good to hear that you had a good day today and a 48 lb bag is certainly good going

What part of the Beult are you on tomorrow

My club on the Beult is between Yalding and Hunton

I'm going to be on the Hunton stretch. The club is PWACS. The opposite bank is either KAPS or LAS I think. Which one are you in?

neil1970

Reaction score
Nice to catch three of these on a drifted weightless lure in just over an hours relaxed fishing.
Nice to bump into Simon on the bank as well.:)

bullet

Reaction score

[/COLOR]

Awe Skip...

Especially when they're cold and a bit under done, maybe a bit beyond the use by date, and you crunch into a bit of lovely beak? :)

Next holiday to south east asia, then.......

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balut_(food)

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Skips and ...so much in common.( apart from barbel)
Dont like boiled eggs or brim.

What was that stuff they put in bread to keep prisoners quiet? Oh yes bromide.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro

[/COLOR]

Awe Skip...

Very easily. Many years ago I shed a considerable amount of weight via a diet that involved endless eggs. One of the days i had to eat 9 of the ba$tard things. I lost the weight and vowed never to eat another boiled egg ever. You have no idea how much i loathe them. The Big Feller takes them in his lunch box deliberately to wind me up. Watching him peel and eat them literally makes me wanna throw up. He knows this and does it anyway. Git !

Fried,scrambled, in an omelette is fine...... but boiled or poached, no, no, no, no,NO !

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
So...

No 'proper' meat then?

Just fish and green stuff?

I will take you up on your offer though Mike, very kind of you too and make mine a double (with added donkey hind, medium to rare) :):):)

I have only just picked up on the irony in your question:) Do not worry Steve whilst I like a salad on occasion mine are hearty!:) the pain bagnat is a meal in itself ! I have ordered a couple;)

---------- Post added at 08:26 ---------- Previous post was at 08:17 ----------

Very easily. Many years ago I shed a considerable amount of weight via a diet that involved endless eggs. One of the days i had to eat 9 of the ba$tard things. I lost the weight and vowed never to eat another boiled egg ever. You have no idea how much i loathe them. The Big Feller takes them in his lunch box deliberately to wind me up. Watching him peel and eat them literally makes me wanna throw up. He knows this and does it anyway. Git !

Fried,scrambled, in an omelette is fine...... but boiled or poached, no, no, no, no,NO !

A diet like that is eggsactly what I need;)

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
I'm going to be on the Hunton stretch. The club is PWACS. The opposite bank is either KAPS or LAS I think. Which one are you in?

Oh right ok mate I know the club, opposite mine, I'm in kAPS :D

Let us know how you get on :)

---------- Post added at 08:31 ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 ----------

I'm out tomorrow for the day on me local little chalk stream, just checked the river level and all seems fine, perhaps has some colour but should be ok :thumbs: just gonna try a bit of roving for roach and chub with some Hovis :D

Can't wait as I've not been able to get out on the bank for a good while,

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Went for session on the Stour today thought it would be dropping off a little and clearing up a bit , Wrong, lots of colour and still pushing through, one decent take and I bumped it off hum ha . Always next season, I have had some nice fish out this year so not complaining.

It's definitely not cooperating for the end of season. I couldn't get out again on Friday or Saturday so didn't miss much. The day ticket waters were quite crowded, mostly by disgruntled anglers sat behind static rods. Mind you, they could improve their chances 10 fold if they reeled in occasionally and put a bit bait out there. :wh

Thought I might find an hour or two today but that's now not going to happen. It is dropping now and more rain overnight and this morning probably wont affect it too much so maybe tomorrow!

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Went out on Bristol Avon for 5 hours yesterday roving with hovis and mashed bread baited a few sims and left to rest while working way down . With all my efforts not even one knock on the tip !

But today I've grabbed my carp gear and sat on the side of local resivior in the rain , plenty of ducks about anyway !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pete Shears

Reaction score
An early start on the reservoir for pike,cloudy and dull but not cold,hauled the kit as far as I could go on the field side and set up three deadbait rods.Set up the brolly to beat the breeze as it picked up and had a coffee - three bleeps on the sprat just out from the dead reeds,nothing on the end.Later the drop arm fell on the middle rod and line started to peel off and striking met with more nothing,no marks on the bait.A mate just a bit further down had a small jack of about 5lb and ten minutes later had a nice pike of 12lb 4oz,both on sardine,I didn't have any sardines with me so around 2pm I staggered back to the car.

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Well a bit dissappointed to say the least up in plenty of time to head to the stour got out the door (almost) gut started up spent the next hour or so not moving far from the little room of stinks .
Finally settled a bit so out of a need for easy access the the carsie i headed for my club pool facilities on site .

Anyhow turned out to be a reasonable decission had 4 or the resident Chubb out bigget one is now north of 4 lbs some decent bream and something someone musty have put in recently a Koi got to have been 5 or 6 lbs ws hoping the Tench were going to show up but nothing there a goodly collection of the usual Perch getting fat now .
Then there was the Chorous line Frogs and Toads croaking like crazy robins bluetits right next to the peg i chose there is a patch of Iris that was full of toads in full flow hundreds of then all round the pool .
Oh and nice weather as well actually felt comfortably warm in the sun .

PG ...

swizzle

Reaction score
Finished my season with a good day on a local stream today, christened the new Allerton sticks that came through the post on Thursday.

The colour in the river was dropping out and there was a good flow. I went for the 4 no 4 stick as a long cast wasn't necessary, this stream is probably no more than 30 feet wide in most places. A .10 bottom to an 18 in about three feet of water and double maggot on the hook. Took a bit of time to get them going, but after that, I caught consistently all day. I finished up with around 50 dace, 12 chub with three over three pounds, one roach and loads of minnows.

A good end to my first season float fishing on rivers.