How did you get on?

trotter2

Reaction score
Found myself having withdrawl symptoms the last few days from not fishing the river in the close season.
So went fly fishing fished from 12 till about 3.30 only the one small trout avoided the blank
To say it was difficult would be an understatement.
Well at least I got one .:rolleyes:

Reaction score
Went to a local day ticket water with a friend, plans of an early start went awry after a few shandies watching boxing last night. :w It was blowing a hoolie and I forgot the tip rod :eek:mg: Fished the top 4 of my pole against the rushes where the lillies are starting to show. 0.6g pole float in about 2.5 feet of water, fed pellets, corn, caster and maggot. First put in resulted in a bite in a few mins later from my first tench of 2017 :D all 5 or 6 ounces of it.

Was a bit of a struggle at times with the wind, waves, emerging lillies snagging my hook and the tow. Managed another tench :) 5 small carp and 20 odd skimmers. Packed up before the bailiff came round so didn't have to pay for a day ticket either. :D:wh

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Drove up to Tring this morning in a bit of a hurry as I was running late for the draw on an open pairs match. Got there in time and met my partner for the day who had driven down from Liverpool this morning, he left home at 1:30am:eek:
The event was spread onto 2 venues, both on the Aylesbury arm of the GUC, one angler on each venue. Luckily I chose the closer venue as upon arriving at the car park I realised to my horror I'd forgotten to bring my bag containing bait, flask, food etc:eek:mg:
One hour round trip home and back and I arrived at my peg at 9:45 with the all in at 10:30 I had time to set up. This was when I realised cock up number two had happened. As I opened the tube holding my topkits I realised I'd bought the wrong tube, all I had was 3 carp power kits with 8,12 and 16 elastic:eek:mg:
The air turned a nasty shade of blue as I kicked my self up the towpath.
My immediate thought was go home and stay home but I had a partner to consider so I set up with the 8 elastic and hoped I could get away with not bumping any fish off...
I then reached for my catapult bag and the lighter of the two was missing, I nearly cried, then to cap it all I didn't get a bite for the entire 5 hours.....
I tried everything to no avail...

TBH everyone struggled and there were other blanks too. Back at the pub I waited for my partner to arrive from the other venue and he'd struggled too weighing in just 6oz.

An expensive day out all told and definitely one to forget....

Surely you'll be awarding yourself a CBAA for that....or at least 0/10 for preparation.

jon atkinson

Reaction score
I am sure you will not take this the wrong way Steve, but it is reassuring to an old incompetent that even the experts struggle occasionally

Suddenly when I blank I am in good compay:) its tench or bust tomorrow!:)

I feel your pain Mike; I was back at the basin yesterday after our morning dog walk. With the cloudy conditions & a light breeze to put a ripple on the water I was feeling optimistic about the resident tench putting in an appearance - it surely had to be easier than last time out in the bright sunshine?? The water was looking in pretty fine fettle as I approached although the south bank was looking pretty 'crowded' so I opted for the opposite bank, wondering whether the crowds across from me knew something that I didn't...
jon-atkinson-albums-st-helens-aa-picture4618-blackbrook-basin-17-04-29.jpg

Perversely, the overcast conditions seemed to make things harder & I was struggling for bites, never mind fish in the net :confused: The chaps that I could see on the opposite bank didn't seem to be faring any better either. There is quite a heavy weed 'problem' at the basin so I tend to fish with a minimum 3lb hook length, but out of increasing frustration [desperation?] I scaled down & finally I started to get bites; a slow succession of small roach followed, hardly any of them meriting getting the landing net wet [although I tend to net all but the very smallest as a matter of principle]. Then finally something a little more spirited & another candidate for the roach / rudd / hybrid discussion...
jon-atkinson-albums-st-helens-aa-picture4619-blackbrook-hybrid-17-04-29.jpg

I'm going with 'vividly coloured roach' based on mouth & dorsal / pelvic fin alignment but all other opinions welcome :wh

Things then dried up again & I was getting close to curfew, so into one last fish territory. As I continued to feed reds little & often, blokey who had been fishing down at the far end came past & asked how it was going having decided to call it a day himself. Hard, I said, however... he had managed 10 tench, 10! plus a couple of bream & a roach - "nice one" says I through slightly gritted teeth :rolleyes:

Right, one more fish, one more fish... & pleeeeease be a tench...
jon-atkinson-albums-st-helens-aa-picture4620-blackbrook-skimmer-17-04-29.jpg

I know that many on here would disagree, but after scratching around for most of the day was happy to settle on this chap :eek:mg:

Oh, well - off out again tomorrow... things can only get better, can't they? :w

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
After his recent fantastic perch exploits, I'd also nominate Binks' flooded welly for a semi CBAA, just to keep his feet (well one of them anyway) on the ground and to keep him sharp and driven. :)

Another stack of black bream today, nothing else, so maybe I deserve one too :)

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Club pool for me today .

Very windy but warm thought i would go for some of the better perch to start with so 4lb line to a 16 with worm impailed upon it nowt for next to an hour then a few small jobbies came along .

Things improved a little with a few decent roach and a couple of bigger perch switched to red maggot and it woke up end of the day almost 50 fish from sardines to almost a 1lb .

On the plus side the water feed it going to be repaired at last so that will improve the pool a lot ..

PG ...

buick_toni

Reaction score
Yesterday I decided to go fishing, and got nothing. Lost two lures though, they are hanging on trees, just out of reach... Maybe I'll be taking a walk on ice next winter and fetch them back. Done that before!

The weather was, well, not very spring-like. It had snowed the day before, it was windy, +2ºC and occasional snow and sleet and raining made the conditions pretty poor. At least I had put some warm clothes on, so it did not bother too much.

34258941241_71007cc40a_k.jpg

34230709922_92668d70b1_k.jpg

What really made my trip sad, was the amount of carbage I caught from the water. Broken vodka bottle, 3 chocolate bar wrappings, 2 juice cans... Makes me mad every time. I always carry a plastic bag with me to hold all my cut lines, wrappings and empty drink containers home with me. Bothered me more than the lost lures.

I am not a nature activist, I have my part in "destroying the world" by driving big old cars, smoking cigarettes and all that, but come on, if you can carry your snacks there, you can probably carry the **** back home! Then those people go whining why there is trash everywhere and why no-one is doing their duty to clean them off. Ugh...

Last edited:

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Makes a change for me to fish a Monday.

poped to the pool for a few hours bit slow but it picked up a bit later on wound up with a good few small perch and roach one stonking roach 2lb as near as bit of an acrobat to say the least couple of brean similar siz maybe just a tad heavier a nice Crucian that took me on a tour of that quarter of the pool as i was on 2.5lb line that i was not sure of i was being carefull got it in very nice fish once again around the 2lb mark pulled like it was a U-Boat tested my new Basha as well kept me dry in the frequent downpours so happy with that as well .

PG ...

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
A new to me stretch of the GUC today, someone mentioned it was good over the weekend, so I gave it a go.

I was recommended to fish punch down the track so top2+2 of my pole was adequate and easy. Plumbed it at 4ft deep and selected a light rig, 4x10 float and 20 b511 to 0:06 bottom. Fed nothing to start, just went straight in with a small punch of bread and a nice roach first chuck. Had a succession of these then some lovely dace turned up.

Soon I hooked a bigger fish which ripped out my no4 elastic, a decent bream around 4lb. Had another 2 bream and a skimmer, hooked a carp which bottomed out my elastic as it bolted under the boat moored opposite and threw the hook.
Ended up with around 10/12lb of fish in just 4 hours, great venue and I'll certainly be back for more later this week...

nottskev

Reaction score
I was drinking coffee in the garden at 9am; clearly going to be warm, so why not try the tench lake? At I pm I was tackling up shivering by the lake in my tshirt as the sky turned grey and the Northeast wind resumed normal service. By 3pm I'd hooked 4 small roach, one bream of about 3lb and a solitary 12oz tench. I'd also hooked most other things you can get a hook into, trousers, cuffs, nets, trees. I wasn't, as they say, feeling it. Then these two turned up. The carp at this water generally wait til you have the roach lined up then crash in, trash your gear and laugh. But today I was equipped for tench.

carp%201_zpsupbhfcyf.jpg

carp%202_zpsthn7narq.jpg

jon atkinson

Reaction score
An after lunch bonus session yesterday, once the dogs had been walked & swmbo had been for her bouldering fix. Time was relatively short so I decided to keep it local & opted for the road side pond at Ince Blundell - a day ticket water & a known tench venue... what could go wrong?

Wind for a start - I'd never seen this relatively sheltered pond so choppy. There was one swim on the opposite side that didn't appear to badly affected, but it was occupied :( so I tackled up with a heavy waggler set nearly a foot over depth & cast into the wind but I was still being towed across to the left. Despite this, I managed a rudd & a small roach before blokey & his son decided to call it a day allowing me to switch to the 'manageable' peg :)

My fortunes improved having moved but only marginally; this rudd was going on 3/4 lb & did actually put a bend in my rod!
jon-atkinson-albums-local-still-waters-picture4624-rudd-ince-blundell-17-05-01.jpg

It has gradually dawned on me that everything that I have caught this year has been on either maggot or caster; with a view to rectifying this I had brought a few alternatives with me, so I tried corn for a while... not a sniff. Meat... nada, worm... finally :D Obviously it was a greedy (very) little perch, but hey. It was followed by a couple more slightly larger but still only an ounce or two. However the next dip of the float was met with a slightly more solid resistance & resulted in a scale-perfect, near 3/4 lb roach to balance the earlier rudd, not sure which one is the prettier...
jon-atkinson-albums-local-still-waters-picture4623-roach-ince-blundell-17-05-01.jpg

So not the most productive of sessions & I'm still waiting for that elusive first tench of the year but we're into May now so surely it must be imminent?? Keep the faith amigos & tight lines to you all :w

seth49

Reaction score

Well the carp above is my new PB, 17 lb 7 oz, getting nearer to my target of a twenty pounder, perhaps this year, who knows.

A lovely day to be out, if anything it got too hot.it was a right suntrap, and out of the east wind it was really warm this afternoon, still dressed for the cool weather and it was a bit much.
Started on the float, close in hoping for tench or crucians, but only small roach,perch and skimmers, tried feeder nothing, so went back on the float, still only small fish, it was very bright though,sunshine and blue skies all day.

After a while I noticed a few carp cruising round on the top, so started throwing a few dog biscuits out,after a couple of hours there were a few taking the odd one, so kept on feeding them for another hour to get them confident,then I had a go, just casting to the fish that were taking them, first one was ten pounds six ounces, the next was the one in the photo, then a bit later I had another at twelve pounds exactly, so had three takes, hooked and landed all three, so,pleased with that, went back on the float after,to have a sit down, still just bits though, mick had a nice roach of 15 ozs, and bream to four pounds or so.
Fished from half eight till five, enjoyed it back on Thursday?

rubio

Reaction score
Got a solitary carp from an hours fishing in the quiet corner of club lake. Nice looking mirror, almost a leather really, weighing just shy of double figures was my guess. Lost a bigger one to the weed on float gear again when I thought all had gone quiet.
Lots of carp visiting 'my' spot so will be back for another visit myself soon.

thecrow

Reaction score

Well the carp above is my new PB, 17 lb 7 oz, getting nearer to my target of a twenty pounder, perhaps this year, who knows.

A lovely day to be out, if anything it got too hot.it was a right suntrap, and out of the east wind it was really warm this afternoon, still dressed for the cool weather and it was a bit much.
Started on the float, close in hoping for tench or crucians, but only small roach,perch and skimmers, tried feeder nothing, so went back on the float, still only small fish, it was very bright though,sunshine and blue skies all day.

After a while I noticed a few carp cruising round on the top, so started throwing a few dog biscuits out,after a couple of hours there were a few taking the odd one, so kept on feeding them for another hour to get them confident,then I had a go, just casting to the fish that were taking them, first one was ten pounds six ounces, the next was the one in the photo, then a bit later I had another at twelve pounds exactly, so had three takes, hooked and landed all three, so,pleased with that, went back on the float after,to have a sit down, still just bits though, mick had a nice roach of 15 ozs, and bream to four pounds or so.
Fished from half eight till five, enjoyed it back on Thursday?

Good Stuff Seth well done on your new PB I am sure that 20 is not far away, you look a tad warm though :)

seth49

Reaction score
Thanks for that, yes it was hot today, didn't expect it, with these east winds, haven't stopped drinking water since I got home must have got a bit dehydrated, anyway will finish my tea have a shower, and have a few beers later.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A pb chub within seconds of arriving! Not unlike the final scene in car share it was just a dream but quite interesting though.

I've mentioned in the thread announcing Iain McDonald as this years Drennan Cup winner how his achievements inspire me, if you had to describe in one word Iain's secret to success it would be "watercraft", something I have precious little of and am trying to make amends.

I wonder how many of you like me have been visiting our favourite river haunts during this close season and getting frustrated, I certainly am.

A few days ago whilst in Canterbury waiting for someone at the hospital I took a walk along the stretch I've been fishing over the winter. I've moaned about the condition of the river all winter, low and gin clear for most of the time, now a bit higher but still very clear but at this time that's a good thing, it enables me to study the river in greater depth (Literally) and its inhabitants which I have to say have amazed me both in their numbers but their size also, almost like they know to come out of hiding come March 15th only to disappear again in June.

One swim in particular under a footbridge brought me first river chub up to 4lb a few months ago with a few more to follow, clearly a good spot. During this walk there was a shoal under the bridge with a couple of larger adults away from the pack and they seemed huge to me, maybe 6lbish, then a perch swam by, another fine specimen, possibly 2lb. I went home checking the diary and counting how many days to go before we could try and meet their aquaintance.

This morning I took her indoors to Canterbury for some retail therapy, I took with me some cubes of meat and headed straight for the bridge after dropping her off. Sure enough there was the shoal and several feet away one large adult, possibly the same fish I'd spotted days earlier. Trying to gauge the current I threw a cube of meat several yards in front of the chub and it landed and settled on the bed still some distance upstream of the fish. Within a second of it settling the fish made a dart for the meat like an Exocet missile, woofed it down and then with the same frenzy disappeared downstream scattering the shoal as if it knew this was a possible trap........totally fascinating and frustrating in equal measure.

Sorry for the long tale but it has at least knocked off another thirty minutes of the countdown to the 16th, question is, will that chub wait for me?
:)

mikench

Reaction score
I thought I would have a couple of hours this afternoon as the sky was blue and the sun was shining! One becomes a touch relaxed about wind in such conditions often calling them a breeze when in dark and murky conditions they would be called a Hoolie or a gale:)

I arrived at my local lake which hitherto I usually had almost to myself. Today there was a queue to get onto the car park which was nearly full! I thought that perhaps there was a match on but no it was 20 others who had thought as I did!

It was immediately obvious it was blowing a gale and that nobody was catching much. I hate wind but couldn't face the half mile treck to the other side of the lake to have it behind it me. I nearly went elsewhere but decided to stay and have a go. My first inclination was one I should have followed:( I had one major take which caused the quiver tip to move 45 degrees and which resulted in something large on the hook. Sadly as I played the fish it came into some weeds and I lost it. I suspect it was a carp but I didn't see it. It really was windy despite the sunshine. Another blank:(

I have another cunning plan for tomorrow and a full days fishing to look forward to! I just hope the wind eases but if not I will most definitely ensure it is behind me!:)

Cracking fish by the way Seth! You must be as pleased as punch; I would be!

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
I had planned to go out fishing today but my sandwich maker decided to do a pirouette and land on her knees on the pavement. She is an old girl of 70 and this resulted in hours at the A and E .

Nothing broken fortunately so she will be able to supply me with grub for fishing tomorrow:D:D:D
She has been admonished and promised not to be so thoughtless again.:D:D:D