How did you get on?

mikench

Reaction score
Great photos ! They appear artistic in the Binkaist style ! I feel the urge to try my pin again:)

seth49

Reaction score
Usual Thursday fishing trip with mick, got to the fishery at eight thirty, there were only three fishing so we went to the pegs we had fished on Tuesday, put the carp rod out on alarm as a sleeper, and then set the float rod up, and pumped some expander pellets, soaked some micro pellets, and opened a tin of corn, Lidls finest, three tins for £1-09 pence, I find one of these tins will do a days fishing most days.

Fed some pellets and corn, plumbed up and started fishing, had a couple of skimmers, hooked one that felt a lot bigger, but it came off after a few seconds, possibly foul hooked, then caught some more skimmers, it was very slow though, never known it so quiet, possibly there getting ready to spawn.

The carp rod was quiet too, so seeing a few cruising round, I changed over to a zig rig, no joy on that either, nobody else was catching much either.
So after I had eaten my sandwiches, I thought I'd wind in and have a go, with a free lined dog biscuit,.

After a while, when a few carp had ignored this, I spotted one on the surface swimming slowly towards me, so I quietly cast in front in front of it.

And this was the result, a hard fighting fifteen pounds common, so I saved the day with a decent fish, after that we packed up early at three thirty, mick had had enough, and we didn't see much point in stopping, will have a rethink before Tuesday, probably try another pond, might try for a barbel.?

john step

Reaction score
First day out today without long johns on!
Fished a groundbait feeder for a continuous flow of netable rudd and perch on dead reds and corn.
I had one roach that was very big but as it was foul hooked in the tail I could't bring myself to weigh it.

The 8lb sink braid to 8lb Sensor :)eek:)didn't put them off. I was hoping for a tench hence the upped tackle.

No tench. Other members of the syndicate are faring just as bad on the tinca front. We are getting quite concerned now. I hope its just been the cold.

We surmise if we can't catch them then any fish nickers would have failed too.
Its too deep to net effectively and there are always eyes about on the farm.

B

binka

I slooped off for a few hours this afternoon, fishing from around 3pm until dusk and it feels like an age since I last managed to sneak one in on a school day.

The wind was brisk to say the least, coming in south easterly which worked in my favour as it was pushing the fish towards me and hanging a bobber off the 15’ rod made light work of the swell…

413339767.jpg

I mentioned earlier, in another thread, that I had an inkling that the timing might be right for the perch run and I’m pleased to say it proved to be the case with a fair few which kept me busy well into the evening.

Small to start with…

413339773.jpg

I don’t have a cold by the way, that stuff on me sleeve is the remnants of the weekend’s snotties :eek:mg:

Some nice fish showed too…

413339777.jpg

With the session best coming in at a respectable 2lb 5ozs…

413339781.jpg

Great to see them again and they’re in such good nick, the biggest one actually bored away like a carp when I first lifted in to it but this little run won’t last long before they disperse so that’s my Saturday spoken for this weekend.

The afternoon ended with a very nice feeling of calm at dusk as the wind finally dropped and the light faded… :w

cg74

Reaction score
Wednesday I had a few hours on an estate lake that I used to fish regularly 20 odd years back (not the one I fished a few days ago). Target species was tench but I was also hoping to locate the resident small head of big old carp.

I fished a groundbait feeder loaded with pellets, corn, hemp and red maggots on a clearing between the huge beds of weed. An immediate frantic start, with nonstop taps on the tip. It took 20 mins for a hittable bite to materialise and no great surprise it came from a rudd, though I was shocked at its size, 1lb8oz.

I continued to catch a mixture of roach and rudd of between 8oz and 1lb, followed by four 3lb bream in four consecutive casts. Then finally the tench turned up, catching three of 5lb each.

Sadly no carp were located.

Today saw me fishing a reservoir for bream (and I can't quite believe it myself).
On my arrival there were bream rolling at 90yards+, way beyond casting range with my feeder rod or barbel rod.
So I decided to fish at my maximum comfortable range of about 80yards. I opted for a 35g Drennan method feeder, which I changed to a 45g version as it casted easier. Then to ensure the bait stayed on the feeder I went on to placing them in a pva bag.

After 40mins of inactivity on my rod and the fish still rolling beyond me, I chose to feed 10 large spombs of pellets, dead maggots, a few crushed boilies and corn.
My method mix was the same as I spombed out, which also were my hookbait choices.

First bite came within 10mins of spombing and then came steadily for the rest of the session.
End result of sixteen bream from 5lb to 9lb8oz

mikench

Reaction score
Seth how do you freeline a dog biscuit and how do you attach same to the hook other than by a bait band? I assume we are not talking Bonios here:rolleyes:

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Might be a bit contentious nowadays but it used to be file a small trench into yer winalot and superglue it to the shank of the hook :)

---------- Post added at 08:55 ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 ----------

Could be Crabtree Award stuff though so go carefully.....:)

greenie62

Reaction score
Seth how do you freeline a dog biscuit and how do you attach same to the hook other than by a bait band?....

Gently drill it and insert a hair rig with a quickstop.

Tip: When using floating baits - watch the line for the take - ignore the splashing around the bait!

seth49

Reaction score
Mike, I use the bakers dog biscuits, they are about an inch cube, they have a spongy texture, and are soft enough too hook.
I put the hook through the side, bring it out in the middle, and then put it back in the same hole, and out the opposite side, from where you started, tighten the line, and leave the eye of the hook in the biscuit, and the point stuck out.

I use twenty pound braid as a main line, and a nylon hook length, of about ten pounds,been using the Fox zig and floater line, in nine pounds bs, about four ft long, and Korda mixa hooks size ten.

With the braid can cast twenty to thirty yards, and that's with a Nash dwarf, nine ft, 2 1/4 pound test curve rod, I like this rod, it handles carp well.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I must sound like a stuck record, a trip to the estate today, just me, not a soul to be seen, however yesterday it was rammed out with three other members!

It's been hard work with little return, today I employed my own words, target the carp and the tench will come. I chose the shallow end of the lake for the first time having seen a few carp sunbathing there yesterday.

CBEF5891-1D5E-4DE0-B6FE-38DF9ECCC3D5_zpsrtqff63t.jpg

A couple of fruitless hours without as much as a knock on both my ledgered boilie and a large chunk of luncheon meat under the float. Just as the eyelids were thinking of putting up the closed sign for a quick siesta the float sailed away with a nice resistance resulting in a ten minute battle with a beautiful 14lb carp gracing the net. I've made it clear on a number of occasions that carp aren't high on my list of favourite species but it seems different on this lake, they're natural, wild and quite elusive and to date I haven't heard of any under double figures.

I'm learning how to take a selfie, the downside of not having any fellow members to assist.

BCA81E17-5071-4A33-860D-C0ED2A8ED5E0_zpsrcq54r6g.jpg

It all went quiet again until the ledger rod screamed with line dispersing at a rate of knots, there was a visible bow wave across the lake as a beast snaffled a lobworm and made for the reeds, he succeeded, I didn't.:eek:mg:

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
An afternoon in the sun and a very pleasant evening on a lovely estate lake on Wednesday. Guest of an old friend of mine.

Easterly breeze so fishing was slow, I lost a carp, hook pull and my mate had one about 7 or 8 pounds and lost a larger one.

Nice to be out though. Of to France in a weeks time so won't be wetting a line in the meantime

Stu

mikench

Reaction score
I will tell you later. In theory I shall be using the float pin and tares; well that is the theory anyway!!:)

B

binka

I have no idea what the world is coming to, I have fished the tip for the second weekend running!

Preposterous…

413343181.jpg

In all fairness the water was, in the face of a strong and relentless sou’ westerly, a bit lumpy to say the least and although I set up the long float rod it didn’t see much action.

After arriving by the lake with a mate early this morning we double pegged and he went after his carp whilst I was still preoccupied with my perch and after a couple of chucks into a deep swim (twelve feet plus) with a small feeder on the Ultralite bomb rod I decided the conditions were too positive for the rate of feed I was introducing.

Out came the riddled seed compost which was wetted and mixed with copious amounts of chopped worm and reds and off came the feeder in favour of a small bomb.

Five solid balls of feed went in closely followed by the lead and hookbait which was one of the largest dendras I’ve ever seen lightly nipped onto a size 10 and I reckon it was forty minutes or so before the tip stabbed round and held as I struck into what felt like a right old lump.

It didn’t charge off like a carp and it wasn’t doing the tell-tale head shaking of a perch and I reckon it was a big bream, I say reckon because the hook pulled before I could get a fix on it.

I then lost a second fish to a hook pull which was definitely a perch before bumping a third off on the strike.

I decided to cut down on the size of the worm but I couldn’t get a bite and so I reverted to the big worm and I missed the following six or seven bites which were all positive pull arounds before things went quiet.

At that point I balled more feed in and decided to stick it out on the smaller worm in the hope that I would at least connect with the bites which did come and after a fair while the tip pulled round steadily and I was soon netting a perch of around a pound and a quarter.

Over the next hour or so I had a couple more of around two pounds or so with this handsome fella being the pick of them…

413343182.jpg

If I had got my act together earlier, when I was missing the bites, it could well have been a bit of a red letter day and with hindsight I would have been far better with the long drop bobbins considering the size of the worms and the hooking arrangement but it feels like a good day all the same.

My mate took a carp on a stepped up, long range method feeder set up so he was happy too and it was, for the first time in a few weeks as he's been getting over a leg operation, a great craic.

I’m happy enough with that… :w

mikench

Reaction score
My act was definitely not together today! Indeed I fished like an incompetent novice( you are you are I hear you cry). I arrived at my chosen venue to find there was yet another work party day so I could not fish:( I set off for another venue which I hadn't fished this year and arrived to find it all to myself apart from the rain, the geese and the ducks! I set up a float rod with the pin and the tares and enjoyed making a hash of things. I caught 4 small perch and a small roach but none were big enough to give me a feel for playing a big fish on the pin. These fish were not caught on tare but maggot. After I snagged my float in the lily pads I gave up and switched to the feeder. There then followed 5 hours of boredom without even a knock or twitch on the swing tip. There were 4 other disappointed souls suffering the same fate and we all packed up together about 5.00pm vowing to never go there again;) I have had better days!

I found the pin cumbersome and the lack of bites did not help! I can only improve:(

Reaction score
The pin is something you need to grow into and use a bit of 'percy' with,keep at it until you beat it,it is possible it won't happen,i've had several fixed spool reels that I just didn't get on with,like most things.

john step

Reaction score
I have had three trips out this week. I have had lots of fish from rudd/carp/perch but today I still BLANKED FOR BLOOMING TENCH.
I must look them up in a book to see if I can remember what they look like:eek:mg::eek:mg::eek:mg:

Perhaps things will improve now some fresh rain and SW winds are due.

mikench

Reaction score
I'm intrigued by the 'cumbersome' bit....................

I found it difficult balancing a reasonably taught line with one wrapped around the reel! I was fine with the ratchet on but once the line had the freedom of a wild rabbit, it was difficult to control! Casting was something else altogether:rolleyes: