How did you get on?

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
s63...Your description of the Seasalter Drain put me in mind of that old black and white John Mills(?) movie from back in the 50's which I believe may well have been filmed in that area.
I have wandered around similar areas (Dungeness, Romsey etc) late evening and they had a similar eerie feel about them. Can't put my finger on it, but definitely eerie.......

Some nice fishing, BTW!

There was a very grim drama series recently on C4 called Southcliffe set on the Kent marshes, lots of damp, fog, and dead bodies, not sure I'm going to fish this drain during winter:eek:

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Another few busy eveing sessions on the local cut with the usual collection of good Rudd and Roach along with Perch and the odd Bream .

Fished another round of the club comps tonight trying something new tonight bloodworn & Fishmeal paste pellets bit slow initally but woke them up first decent fiah out on them was an extremely acrobatic Tench of 5lbs hooked it and bang straight out the water i thought it was a carp at first but definately Tench good fun on a pin when they start getting that frisky then a horde of Breamfor second place beaten by a sponsored member ( sponsored by a bait company VDE) .

Dodged the rain showers on the whole but what a change in temps from one week to the next ..

PG ...

theartist

Reaction score
First day trip of the year to the Severn yesterday and the rain had just stopped as I was finally got there - perfect! Arriving at around 11am everything was still and misty looking with bubbling water the only noise aside from the rumble of the steam train as it chugged up the hill behind me. Choo choo!

Started trotting maggots in a swim that was two foot deep and thundering through, the rain had raised it only a little and there was a touch of colour but not enough to hide the fact that my feed wasn't getting down at all as the water was too fast, feeding upstream my maggots were boiling through just below the surface and were no doubt hitting the rocks downstream, despite this I had managed 20 Dace and a coupe of good Chub before lunch.

Wasn't really after Barbel as I'd had plenty from my local rivers but a change to pellet brought instant action initially from one which thundered downstream, it's been ages since I have ran down river along the gravels with a net in one hand and rod in the other trying to get downstream of the fish, a tactic which works well in fast shallow water if you have the room. Despite getting it in a slow pool the fight was still epic and I finally slipped the net under a beast that was all of 4lbs :eek: slightly foul hooked hence the lack of control.

Next run through bought a decent Roach which was an indication of things to come before a slightly bigger Barbel graced the net, then the Roach showed in numbers and did they show! Usually it's the Barbel that displace the Roach but this was the other way round with one after the other either side of a pound. Biggest was around 1lb 8oz but to be honest I wasn't expecting them in such fast water and how they thumped in that current, glad I even had the slightly heavier line on due to the barbel although that did mean the odd Roach was lost as they rolled on the surface in the wavey water above the rocks. Scooping out each fish in the slack afforded by my waders was a joy and hooking a Barbel or Chub during that spell just seemed wrong, although they offered variety which I do love. Must have ended up with around 20lb of Roach outweighing the Barbel and Chub - Go Redfins!

no-one in particular

Reaction score
s63...Your description of the Seasalter Drain put me in mind of that old black and white John Mills(?) movie from back in the 50's which I believe may well have been filmed in that area.
I have wandered around similar areas (Dungeness, Romsey etc) late evening and they had a similar eerie feel about them. Can't put my finger on it, but definitely eerie.......

Some nice fishing, BTW!

Funnily enough I walked into a pub on Romsey Marsh a couple of months ago and it was still full of ****ensian characters, Mugwitch included; it went silent as I walked in, don't think they had seen a human from the outside world for years. Over-exaggeration of course but not that much, it was like a time warp, other dimensionist feeling came over me.
The rumours of ghosts and evil spirits were often started or encourage by the smugglers, which were rife in the 19th century; to put off customs men. It is a very eerie place and stories of children disappearing and spirits still persist. I used to drive across it regularly at night and dreaded breaking down, always relieved to get to the other side.
Apologies for off subject.

I still fish some remote marsh areas, not there, but they are interesting to fish, unexplored fishing wise a lot of them.

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I shouldn't have read that, just about to head down to the marsh and see if I can find me a dyke tench.:)

If I don't report in later today, send out the search party.

B

binka

I had the great pleasure of being joined on the river today by Mike (Mikench) who had already gained a well earned medal after making the long journey across country, through the early morning fog around Buxton, to the East Midlands and still arriving before 6am!

A monumental effort indeed and beside the eagerly awaited opportunity to put faces to names the purpose of the day was to blood Mike with his first ever barbel.

If only there was such a thing as a guarantee that such efforts would be duly rewarded.

Mike’s early start had ensured we bagged the swim we wanted and which has been producing for me during the last week, with a river a few inches up following yesterday’s deluge I had cautiously optimistic hopes but as you well know these things can work both ways especially during that first influx of new water.

Mike fished with the Marksman Specimen Avon, alternating between meat and pellet over a bed of bait droppered and loose fed hemp and pellet and despite the relentless drizzle, which I don’t think abated all day, we fished on like true mad dog Englishmen without brolly or complaint.

I elected to sit beside Mike and enjoy some good conversation for the first couple of hours and then just play it by ear after that in respect of my own fishing and I think we talked the hind legs off of each other as I never moved from that position for the remainder of the day.

As for Mike and his barbel, did he bag one?

No…

He bagged five!

All nicely bronzed fish to around 7lb and from my gillie position with waiting net the grin on his face appeared to stretch from ear to ear as the drag on the reel sang away and he handled them like a pro!

Well done Mike and great fishing, I trust you made it home safely and thanks for such great company.

I’m looking forward to doing it all again but…

When it’s drier!

:w

413439477.jpg

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well done Mike! Put the effort (and miles in) resulting in some cracking fishing. I can see that if I ever am to catch a barbel, I will need to travel.

Travel was furthermost from my mind today as I made a return trip to the drains of Seasalter a 5 minute drive from my house. After discovering tench and carp are being caught I was keen to have another go and went light with a pole for a short yomp across a field.

Nobody about so nestled into the swim where the lad had caught tench yesterday.
t50emq.jpg

Only a short two hour session so went with just one bait, luncheon meat which has served me so well catching Tincas on the estate lake.

Not a bite in two hours :( slight disappointment but the place is a haven for bird life with warblers making a racket but not drowning out the call of a distant cuckoo

Swan shot
qq7e4o.jpg

Just as I was packing up I saw a carp cruising past just below the surface, I've said it once, I'll say it again, "I'll be back"

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
Just arrived home after a fantastic red letter day! Ileft home at 3.45 am(my wife thinks I have truly lost the plot) and made my way over the Cat and Fiddle in fog,rain and darkness and managed to meet up with Steve(Binka) att 6.00 am.

We were fishing by 6.30 and soaked by 10.00:) I was so enthralled by the setting, the gracious,patient and fantastic company of Steve and those fantastic barbel that I was oblivious to the rain and believe you me I am a wimp when it comes to inclement weather. I am hooked on barbel; what a beautiful, noble and hard fighting fish they are. Steve taught me a lot and I am truly grateful!

I could talk to all for hours about how enjoyable the day was if I could regain the power of speech! I have just sampled the hot pepper sauce entitled " Carolina Reaper chili kindly given to me by Steve and my vocal cords are numb and I have had to have a second g&t ( any excuse) to cool down my mouth:rolleyes:

Cheers Steve ! This forum has some fantastic anglers and most decent human beings that I am pleased to call friends!:)

Great post Steve and a memorable photo. What a day! That Carolina Reaper grows on you!!!

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
I was absolutely thrilled by my first barbel and then the other 4 just made today a day to cherish. Thanks again Steve:D

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Nice one Mike, well done and congrats on your first Barbel, and good on you Steve for taking Mike to a good spot :cool: :).

jon atkinson

Reaction score
Just arrived home after a fantastic red letter day! Ileft home at 3.45 am(my wife thinks I have truly lost the plot) and made my way over the Cat and Fiddle in fog,rain and darkness and managed to meet up with Steve(Binka) att 6.00 am.

We were fishing by 6.30 and soaked by 10.00:) I was so enthralled by the setting, the gracious,patient and fantastic company of Steve and those fantastic barbel that I was oblivious to the rain and believe you me I am a wimp when it comes to inclement weather. I am hooked on barbel; what a beautiful, noble and hard fighting fish they are. Steve taught me a lot and I am truly grateful!

I could talk to all for hours about how enjoyable the day was if I could regain the power of speech! I have just sampled the hot pepper sauce entitled " Carolina Reaper chili kindly given to me by Steve and my vocal cords are numb and I have had to have a second g&t ( any excuse) to cool down my mouth:rolleyes:

Cheers Steve ! This forum has some fantastic anglers and most decent human beings that I am pleased to call friends!:)

Great post Steve and a memorable photo. What a day! That Carolina Reaper grows on you!!!

Congratulations on your first Barbel Mike - that sounds like a hell of an expedition & with a terrific guide to boot! This meeting up with FM acquaintances business is the future! I must confess that with very limited opportunities to get out at the moment I am more than a little jealous! I'm hoping to get back up to the Ribble at some stage but lord knows when that will be...

swizzle

Reaction score
Congratulations on the barbel Mike. I'm sure they will be the first of many. Well done to Binka as well for taking you, that is what these forums should be all about. :)

I got a few hours in on the Dorset Stour, which was ever so slightly up and coloured (it is in desperate need of it too). A relatively simple set up consisting of a light Avon rod, a small fixed spool reel loaded with 6lb line which I fished straight through, a flying back lead as the weight, float stop and size four hook. Cheese paste and luncheon meat for bait. I took as little tackle with me as possible so I could move every 15 minutes. Results were two chub of over 4lb and a nice eel. One chub for each bait. The tip with the bigger hooks worked!:)

Photobucket isn't working for me at the moment, so no pictures...... Is anyone else getting the weird dial image?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I shouldn't have read that, just about to head down to the marsh and see if I can find me a dyke tench.:)

If I don't report in later today, send out the search party.

Nice to see you got back OK s63. Just remember when fishing on the marshes, if you get a funny feeling someones standing behind you; whatever you do don't turn round. And never pick anyone up while driving across, my mate was a bus conductor once and a woman waved the bus down in the dead of night while going across the marshes.; she got on and went upstairs, he went up to get her fare and no one was there.
And worse than all of that, I forgot to mention, when I went into that pub on the Romney marsh, an old crone of about 105 tried to chat me up, true, so don't go stopping for a pint on the way home.
Apart from that you should be alright but pack a crucifix next time just in case.

No need to thank me, all part of the FM service, got to look out for each other.

Last edited:
B

binka

Photobucket isn't working for me at the moment, so no pictures...... Is anyone else getting the weird dial image?

Yep, it's on the blink yet again.

I thought it might be something to do with the tweaks FM were doing to make image uploads easier but it's not as i've just re-uploaded an image from yesterday after transferring it to Picture Trail and it's fine from there.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Just a footnote to my "instant bite float" post, the one that kept filling up with water and sinking.. Passed the stall where I bought it from yesterday. Told the bloke "great float, bite every cast but never a fish on it, could I swap it for the `fish a cast model`- I don't mind paying a bit extra". Anyway, we had a laugh and he give me a new one but I shall miss the old one.

Last edited:

neil1970

Reaction score
I was absolutely thrilled by my first barbel and then the other 4 just made today a day to cherish. Thanks again Steve:D

Well done Mike, I can still remember the feeling of catching my first one as it was only 3 years ago...brilliant feeling.:w:):D

theartist

Reaction score

That's what it's all about :thumbs: First Barbel and now he's averaging 5 a trip

P.s couldn't find an 'unstoppable' smilie :w:beer::guinness:

greenie62

Reaction score

:eek:mg: Binka has broken something else!! :eek::eek:mg:

Mike's Barbel virginity! :D:D:D

Well done to both of you :thumbs: