How did you get on?

sheffields12

Reaction score
Not had time to get out over these past couple of weeks :(

Hoping to get out on the River Rother here in Sheffield on Saturday morning for a few hours. No idea what's in there... I've had a perch and few tiny little nippers.

Also hoping to get out Friday evening to my local fishery. Weather dependent!

seth49

Reaction score
Had a day on our local fishery yesterday, mick picked me up at twelve o clock, thought we would go a bit later as the afternoons and evenings, had been fishing better lately.

Picked a couple of swims in the shade, as it was hot, it was pleasant in the shade, and the water was shaded as well, set up my new float rod, it's one of the middy Battlezone ten and half foot pellet waggler rods, put a Shimano 2500 bait runner on it, and tackled up with a drennan 3bb glow tip float, eight pound mainline and six pound hook length , to a size fourteen hook, bait was four and six mm pumped pellets, and corn,can't really fish much lighter, because of the carp which usually show up at some point.

Plumbed up and it was six foot deep, two rod lengths out, fed some soaked two mm pellets with some liquidised corn, lots of small bites for a start, on pellet, then started catching small roach and skimmers, had a carp rod in as a sleeper, but not a touch on that all day, been flavouring the feed pellets with pineapple flavour, mixing it in the water before I soak the pellets, I do seem to get more bites on this, certainly more than mick was getting in the next swim.

Fished like this most of the afternoon, catching roach to about half a pound, plus skimmers and bream to around three pounds, really like this new rod so far, it's not too heavy for silvers, still to catch a carp on it yet, but it's rated at up to twelve pound mainline and eight pound hook lengths, and casting weight of twenty five grams, so it's a light tip, gets a nice bend in it with a three pound bream.

Noticed a lot of fish topping later so shallowed up to a foot, and cast out about thirty yards, and started getting better roach and Rudd, plus a few skimmers as well, on corn, mick swapped as well to shallow fishing, and found a few bigger ones in his swim, he had three roach of about a pound, and a Rudd about the same, I had thirty four fish on the counter when we finished, so a good day.

Saw a really big tench roll in front of me, and they were bubbling as we packed up, think I'll have a go for these soon, not much birdlife today, did see a female sparrow hawk and a buzzard, plus plenty of swallows and wood pigeons, there were a lot of dragonflies and damsel flies about today, nice to see, back on Thursday, should be a bit cooler.?

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
An early start was made even earlier not having slept much with the amazing pyrotechnic display in the small hours of this morning.

On the road at 4-15am heading for Stonar Lake, arrived 20 minutes later and it was warm and very still, lake like a mill pond. I wanted to fish a particular area but sadly it was bivvie city (rather them than me in last nights storm). Set up a few pegs along and was soon catching Rudd on the whip with the occasional skimmer. By 7am the bites dried up, if I had the foresight I should have quit whilst I was ahead and gone home.:(

The weather took a dramatic change with a strong wind blowing straight at me, reminded me of Lanzarote, a very warm wind. This lake isn't good when it's windy and it wasn't long before a ripple turned from chop to waves. Even my peg was taking on water.
D00BB6BC-B0DA-4F00-B21C-A565C0933E8E_zpsxm9wmjgr.jpg

Set up the float rod in hope of finding fish at a greater range and spent the next couple of hours unraveling birds nests, removing the hook from just about everything other than the mouth of a fish and still the wind gathered strength. Then what should have been the last straw...........a broken rod tip.:eek:mg: struck into a bite, snagged on the bottom and a clean break when the tip parted company with the top section, it would have to be my almost new 13ft plus Acolyte:eek:
314AE52F-70C1-47BE-A554-9688E515294C_zpsgjjkdu5h.jpg

Didn't know whether to laugh or cry and still I wouldn't go home, a glutton for punishment or what? With the remains of the rod I made up a light leger and chucked out a maggot clip stuffed with a combination of floating plastic maggots and few live ones. Amazingly I landed three carp over the next hour, nothing big, between 6 and 8lb but true fighting fish diving into the murky depths of this very deep lake. The fish were in beautiful condition.
A362B003-4D54-4EEC-99F7-7C1363D6AEFD_zpsdzri1yob.jpg

With such a strong wind coupled with a fierce sun, common sense prevailed and I finally called it a day and was home in time to watch the final hour of today's TDF stage.

I've since read that a few Acolyte owners have had tips break, more often than not in a totally innocuous situation, some have said Drennan replaced the the top section gratis, I'm still waiting to hear back from my local tackle shop, glad I bought it there and not online.

Last edited:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Not for one minute am I suggesting you are ham fisted son of a gun, but did the tip break (in your opinion) due to your over exuberance (such as bending into the snag too much) OR, do you think it snapped for some other reason??

I ask as I thought to buy one (as might others) so an opinion welcome....

It does seem rather odd, though..............

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Not for one minute am I suggesting you are ham fisted son of a gun, but did the tip break (in your opinion) due to your over exuberance (such as bending into the snag too much) OR, do you think it snapped for some other reason??

I ask as I thought to buy one (as might others) so an opinion welcome....

It does seem rather odd, though..............

Hope you're not suggesting I may have "Binkered" it? :)

Seriously though. I'm particularly careful in all aspects of my rod care, when snagged, just a light tug, if that doesn't shift it I then straighten the rod and take line in hand and await the Ping followed by a float whistling pass my ear!

If you search Google as I did, "broken Acolyte rod tips" you'll see numerous tales of broken tips from playing a grayling to snapping a tip when playing a Dace!
A few also just testing the tip action whilst in the tackle shop!

Seems to have happened mostly with the 15ft versions and as I said in some cases Drennan supplied a new section foc, I think it's safe to say they know they have an issue.

The break is directly next to the whipping some saying the whipping has been over tightened.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Hope you're not suggesting I may have "Binkered" it? :)

Seriously though. I'm particularly careful in all aspects of my rod care, when snagged, just a light tug, if that doesn't shift it I then straighten the rod and take line in hand and await the Ping followed by a float whistling pass my ear!

If you search Google as I did, "broken Acolyte rod tips" you'll see numerous tales of broken tips from playing a grayling to snapping a tip when playing a Dace!
A few also just testing the tip action whilst in the tackle shop!

Seems to have happened mostly with the 15ft versions and as I said in some cases Drennan supplied a new section foc, I think it's safe to say they know they have an issue.

The break is directly next to the whipping some saying the whipping has been over tightened.

I've said this before and those that have suffered breakages don't like it much. I've found that Acolytes seem to suffer from an inordinate number of wrap arounds, more than any other rod I've encountered. I consider the situation so bad that I won't use the Acolytes when fishing a waggler, especially a big waggler, it's a recipe for disaster. As you rightly state, most of the online moans were about the 15' Ultra and, to a lesser extent, the 13' Ultra. I've not knowingly picked up on dramatic issues with the Plus versions. I've still got Ultras in 15' and 13', with a Plus in 15'. As yet, I've not managed to break one. However, using them on the river in conjunction with a centrepin, I always pick up on a wrap around before attempting to cast.

nottskev

Reaction score
I feel your pain! I've dropped a brand new motorbike on its side. And splashed bleach on a new pair of suede shoes. But breaking a favourite rod is a real sickener. Hope you're in possession of a new tip before long.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If you did have a line wrap and you struck into a snag that would snap off the tip and it would be an easy thing to do!

I have a few acolytes and they are all fine up to now, fingers crossed they stay that way. If i'm honest I have pushed some of mine beyond their expectations and they've proved to be fantastic rods!

Regarding line wrap I used a tricast rod today and had far less wrap rounds than when using the acolyte.....I still prefer the accy though :).

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've said this before and those that have suffered breakages don't like it much. I've found that Acolytes seem to suffer from an inordinate number of wrap arounds, more than any other rod I've encountered. I consider the situation so bad that I won't use the Acolytes when fishing a waggler, especially a big waggler, it's a recipe for disaster. As you rightly state, most of the online moans were about the 15' Ultra and, to a lesser extent, the 13' Ultra. I've not knowingly picked up on dramatic issues with the Plus versions. I've still got Ultras in 15' and 13', with a Plus in 15'. As yet, I've not managed to break one. However, using them on the river in conjunction with a centrepin, I always pick up on a wrap around before attempting to cast.

Only the second time I've used the rod using a small light waggler. I didn't experience any wrap arounds. One important point I didn't stress was the fact I was using a 4lb main line with a 2lb hooklength. I'd like to think the hooklength would break before the tip does.

The tip is with the tackle shop and going to be sent back to Drennan, hopefully a free replacement.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Only the second time I've used the rod using a small light waggler. I didn't experience any wrap arounds. One important point I didn't stress was the fact I was using a 4lb main line with a 2lb hooklength. I'd like to think the hooklength would break before the tip does.

The tip is with the tackle shop and going to be sent back to Drennan, hopefully a free replacement.

I suspect that the line rating would matter little if a wrap around occurred on casting or striking. However, as it appears not to be the case in this instance, good luck, hope it's sorted to your satisfaction. At least it's happened within the first couple of outings. Those that happen after umpteen trips, and a few half decent fish, are always far more dubious. If I'm unlucky enough to suffer the same fate, I'll have no one to blame but myself.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The break was clean, no fibres or the like, what's the tip made of?

sam vimes

Reaction score
The break was clean, no fibres or the like, what's the tip made of?

As far as I know, carbon. In my experience, manufacturers are usually more likely to accept a clean break as being indicative of a manufacturing flaw.

sheffields12

Reaction score
Not had time to get out over these past couple of weeks :(

Hoping to get out on the River Rother here in Sheffield on Saturday morning for a few hours. No idea what's in there... I've had a perch and few tiny little nippers.

Also hoping to get out Friday evening to my local fishery. Weather dependent!

So, weather looks pretty wet over the weekend.

How will this effect my hope to fish the local river on Sunday? Using maggot and float.

sam vimes

Reaction score
So, weather looks pretty wet over the weekend.

How will this effect my hope to fish the local river on Sunday? Using maggot and float.

A bit of extra water, plus a bit of colour, may do it the world of good. Too much water and the float becomes less of an attractive option.

mikench

Reaction score
The weather forecast predicted that the rain(torrential this morning) would cease by 9.00am! It didn't stop until 12.30 but I erected my brolly on arrival at my venue so it didn't matter! I decided to fish the float for silvers and set up the Mach 3 xtra lite rod and the ABU 507( a good match in my opinion) and caught a couple of bream and a roach of around 12oz in the first hour. In the next few hours I had 10 carp to 5lb on a 6mm pellet. The rod and reel performed brilliantly and I held them in my hand all day without strain.

If I had known the carp would be at it on the pellet I would have used my 11' waggler rod and a fs reel. They are now in the boot ready for tomorrow!:) I am very happy with the Shakey however and I love the Abu! They were both bargains so even more satisfaction!:)

I finished on a couple of roach around 8oz on an 8mm pellet. Corn was not effective today:( overall an enjoyable day and it is blue skies now!

swizzle

Reaction score
I am very happy with the Shakey however

Fantastic rod for the money isn't it Mike.

I met up with Mark on Saturday for a few hours on the Stour. Started on the top end of Beat three for a few dace, then we moved up to the lower end of Beat 2. For more dace and two chub, one of a pound and the other 2ish. Everything on float fished corn. As always, great to get out with Mark, learn something every time. I now feel pretty competent. Learning to hold a rod and fire a catty will take some doing, it's a shambles at the moment.

mikench

Reaction score
It certainly is! I really like it and my float fishing abilities need all the help they can get. The rod is very light at 13' and can be held for long periods. The packaging it comes in is superbe !:) make the most of Mark's expertise!

I too am lucky with guidance from Binka, Tigger and Nottskev ! I feel i am making progress! My wife has just asked me if I could be out of the house tomorrow because she has some friends coming round! "Is the pope a catholic" I replied!

Another days fishing beckons; a full day!!!!

Last edited:

dicky123

Reaction score
Good and bad.

One day perch fishing with plenty of small fish to 8oz. Maybe 20 fish.:D

Another day, blank even though I was in my old best barbel swim.:eek:mg:

Another day, another blank. I'll get back on the float rod tomorrow, with some hemp and caster.

****y.