How did you get on?

stillwater blue

Reaction score
I had a quick hour this morning inbetween rain showers

1.jpg

Yesterday whilst prebaiting the river for roach I thought a saw a carp roll a couple of swims down. So this morning I got to the river at first light and fished a running feeder rig with a couple of grains of maize and had to wait all of five minutes for this fella to have breakfast.

2.jpg

Most probably a low double.

Excuse the pics, I took them on my phone

barbelboi

Reaction score
What a difference a day makes – two days of high winds and a fair amount of much needed rain then warm sunshine today with a light breeze. So, off across the fields to where a local small river enters the main river armed with the old Titan2000, bag, net, pin and a few slices of best of both worlds bread. The idea was to trot some punched flake for roach.
10aug17rise1.jpg

The sunshine was really bright for much of the session with a few periods of white cloud to dim things down a little. Anyway, the best part of 20 roach and a small carp that needed a bit of care negotiating the cabbages and rocks on an 18 to 2lb bottom. Fished from 10am – 3pm..................
10aug17redeye1.jpg

10aug17carp1.jpg

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Son of Meldrew and I decided to fish one of our historic 2 man matches today.
The GUC near Hemel on a short pound. It was very coloured and busy with boats so it hardly stopped moving back and forth all day. SOM opted for long pole while I stuck to my 5m whip and 10' bomb rod.

image.jpg

We started at 11am and it was really slow with bites at a real premium. We know this pound is usually solid with decent roach and dace but they didn't seem to be feeding. Small perch and gudgeon on maggot, not a sniff on caster.:confused:
After a change to punch I caught a few roach but none over 4oz...
It soon became apparent that the cold rain and chilly nights had put the mockers on it, even the fish felt cold to the touch...
We struggled on for the entire 5 hours we'd agreed on.
At the scales I just pipped the win with 1lb:8 to his 1lb:5 ......

2 fished....

Last edited:

iain t

Reaction score
4 am start this morning and blanked on both the Arum and Rother. Arrived home around 9:30ish with most of a hot and spicy spam can left. So breakfast was a toasted spam snarnie. Tell you what it ain't bad. Can see why the fish like it.

mikench

Reaction score
Should have gone trotting with Tigger today but I didn't really forget just cocked up by shooting off early because brother in law was arriving tonight for a visit ( he has just arrived). My cunning plan came to nothing as a result but I caught 15 bream (what else) a couple of nice roach and a nice mirror of 6lb;)

Tigger was kind enough to give me a list of all the things I would need which I didn't have with me so by the time I had gone home , swapped the tackle and set of to the Ribble I would have had little time! Sorry Ian!

In his own inimitable style he said that I wouldn't need a landing net as I wouldn't catch anything ; he didn't put it quite like that but the meaning was the same :rolleyes:

I hope there can be a next time!;)

john step

Reaction score
Nice sunny day for a change.
A year or two ago I bought one of those method feeder kits but have never used it.

Today I experimented. I had 3 carp and a bream on the method before reverting back to a dibber and a centre pin with bread for 11 more.

AND I NEVER GOT WET ALL DAY:)

sam vimes

Reaction score
Took the nipper (nephew) out for a bit of cheating (trotting rather than fluff chucking) on a tiny tributary of the upper Tees. Only had a couple of hours and a few deeper pools to go at as we wandered downstream. Nothing spectacular, but we both managed to get our strings pulled by ten or so little brownies between us. Good fun in the sun and I believe that the bairn is finally starting to get this fishing lark.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I decided to give the larger river a miss as it was up a bit more than I liked. I still wanted to wet a line and so I popped to the outlet of a lake not far away instead to do a little trotting. The rain had obviously affected the lake water as the outlet was up and running! I threw a handful of maggots in and followed them in with my float which went under after trotting about 6ft and I caught a small chub of about 10 ounces. It was a fish a trot from then on , nothing big with chub up to a pound and a half, dace to 10 or more ounces and just one very acrobatic trout of about a pound and a half. I've no idea how many fish I caught but it was lots, one a trot as I said, amazing considering how small this stream is! I think i'm going to have to have a session or two on the lake itself, it must have a decent head of fish going off what's hanging about in it's outlet.

Teabreak

Reaction score
Another trip to the Thames at Windsor this evening. Maggot feeder as usual and had a nice bag of dace roach perch chub and bream. Since joining this club I'm fishing at least twice a week so getting my monies worth. Happy days.

theartist

Reaction score
Back out with dad to our club water and the river was fining down after being over the platforms and with it being the only dry day of the week we were surprised to find our favourite swims empty. The only other angler, a young lad had already had a 15lb carp floatfishing with an old cork, which he told everyone - and why not!

Spent most the day chilling as had a good first hour getting a few barbel and chub. Swapped with dad and ended up getting a few more in his swim :eek: fortunately a small but stunning mirror carp gave him his first fish and he went on to get a couple of barbs and chubs although it was quite quiet on the lead for him at times.

Meanwhile the young lad has asked me to show him to float fish and even though I was in the worst swim for any tutoring he insisted he wouldn't hook the over hanging tree with my rod which was brushing the rod tips on the cast (Gulp!). At first he struggled with the light float but he picked it up really quick and was soon lowering it pretty well under the branches and mending the line straight away. Despite us making a bit of noise he was soon in to a fish and although my rod was a lot longer and the set up a lot lighter he played it like a natural and soon had his first float caught barbel in the net. He was hooked saying how relaxing float fishing was despite fishing a swim I find hard work and he didn't hook the tree once. I gave him a decent stick float and just before he went back to his swim he still had time for a small chub that got followed by an optimistic perch, me being the older wise one said it wouldn't take it but the optimism of youth insisted it would. Yep we soon had a 6oz chub in the landing net accompanied by a perch that wasn't even a pound, not sure it actually hooked up but was more lodged in it's gob. We both thought this was hilarious and it reminded me how the big stripeys were operating on the broads a few weeks back.

I checked up on the lad when we packed up and he had set up the float I had given him but it was a different affair with his tiny rod and big pit reel, it bought home the argument that better gear really does matter. He'll get a lot more help from the club members I expect, better than I could do but he's going in the right direction learning a new skill.

Bumped in to an old fella before the car park who straight away greeted me with an infectious smile and asked how my trip to Norfolk went - you know when you can't remember telling people things, anyhow we had a nice chat and I found out the river was over the banks at the crack of dawn when he arrived, which was the reason no one was fishing where we started. Despite this he had a decent day too like dad on the lead which was good to hear.

Three generations of enthusiastic anglers having a great day down the river and to be honest I'd have to check my notepad to see what I caught in total as it really didn't matter. :thumbs:

Last edited:

Pete Shears

Reaction score
Back at the reservoir this morning to find thick mist and around 8C,no fish topping or rolling so it was cast out close to the weed beds hoping for a tench.A skimmer of about 12oz,followed by a bigger bream of over 2lb and then a hand sized roach.Never really warmed up,like fishing late September but had two green sandpipers ( I had to look them up )come to within ten yards of me and an osprey did a circuit but didn't stop.The fishing was that slow even two cormorants cleared off elsewhere.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
The canal was calm and serene this morning at 7am. I picked a tricky spot with overhead branches on my bank and the same across on the other.
The purpose of this self torture was to dodge the bright sunlight which would inevitably engulf most other swims a bit later on, causing a bleakfest....

A simple set up, wagg and caster trotted down in the dark shadowy water across. Pinging a pinch of hemp and caster every chuck the roach soon obliged as did the dace. I had expected a bit of extra flow after the midweek rain but it was slow and sluggish as usual..After 5 hours the bites dwindled so I packed up, needed to get back to visit the shop for fresh bait and prepare for tomorrow's outing.

image.jpg

rubio

Reaction score
A trip to club lake yesterday afternoon in the company of a friends' 5 year old daughter. Top two kit for us both fishing bread punch from a corner peg.
"Where are the female anglers?" Well there's one new one.
Frankly I was amazed with her dexterity and focus. We fished for nearly 3 hours together for some lovely crucians, the favourite for it's colour; a few roach and the occasional lunatic mirror carp. These were shy biting crucians and at her first try she was hitting more bites than missing. By the end of the first hour she swung in the rig to hand, punched and put bread on the hook, and laid out the rig with a smooth ein, swei, dru. German speaker you see. Probably the reason she did so well, not being able to understand me. To cap it all in my mind, she fed mash into the swim left-handed without looking away from the float! Took me 40 years or more to get that half right.

trotter2

Reaction score
Fishing's been a bit tricky the last couple of weeks with the rivers going up and down like a yo-yo.
Fish seem very unsettled and I find reluctant to feed, hopefully things will return back to normal soon.
Also the nights are cutting in reducing my evening after work hours on the bank.
Catching the odd few dace,bream and grayling starting to feed now the temperature is dropping.
All on stick float and caster is there any other way as enjoyable.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Fishing's been a bit tricky the last couple of weeks with the rivers going up and down like a yo-yo.

You can say that again.:( I'm not much of a fan of ridiculously low summer levels that we've seen in the last few years, but this season has been pretty dismal. If we don't get some consistency soon, I may have to resort to barbel rods and big lumps of spam, which would be far more productive.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Pete Shears....Your fishing returns might not be great at the moment, but two green sandpipers and an Osprey in a session, not too bad at all. In fact I think I would've been happy to suffer a blank.....
I must look up the former as well, once I can find the books!

mikench

Reaction score
Optimism and preparation thwarted today so nothing worth reporting!:(

Am I totally despondent ? No Burnley beat Chelsea !:rolleyes:

john step

Reaction score
Today I went carp fishing...buzzers the lot. Nice warm and overcast, a RELAXING day not getting eye strain squinting at a float. Had four screamers resulting in four singles about 8 or 9 pond that bent the rod round.

I had time to watch the buzzards wheeling and the kingfisher dashing about.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I would have been a bit more than despondent had I elected to stay home to watch Chelsea's first game of the season:eek:mg:

Instead I chose to spend a few hours on Stonar lake and a super day it turned out to be.

In the past few visits I've fished the far side of the lake catching large numbers of Rudd close to the reed beds but none of them with a single exception have required a net, so in an effort to find the larger specimens I fished on the opposite bank, this was today's swim with an overhanging tree looking very inviting.

Tried out my latest purchase, a very old but brilliant Diawa system whip.

The day had a bit of everything, kingfishers and parrots flying overhead, storm clouds straight out of a sci fi movie.

The lake is full of shrimps, must be tonnes of them in there.

Unlike the other bank the fish were not there in such great numbers but this was a case of quality and not quantity, had 22 in total but all bar one required the net, my pb easily smashed with a couple just under 2lb.

With a few roach and some bream to 5lb, the whip was well and truly tested and still remarkably unscathed.