How did you get on?

nottskev

Reaction score
I've not posted anything for a couple of weeks as my duff season continues, so I've spared you (and myself) the account of a chub session on the Derwent – 4 trout, 3 ruffe, 1 perch, 0 chub. And the trip to the commercial where I failed to catch a carp, unless you count weird creatures with long droopy tails, despite being the only angler on the beautiful, lightly fished lake. Not to mention the Trent session where three of us tested out a friend's hot tip about the big roach - “the ones you never knew where there!” - that dodge conventional baits but line up for 8mm pellets. Allegedly. One bloke caught a few skimmers, but he confessed he'd got bored, and cheated by putting a worm on. Or the one on Sunday when I went out of my way – my way doesn't usually involve a long walk, a fence and a precipitous bank – to fish a dream stick float peg. Too little water and it doesn't have the flow; too much, and the roach don't go there. I assumed the river would continue to drop quickly overnight, but I was wrong, as I've been most days since June 16. 5' deep a step out from the rocks, it was pushing through. I spent an hour and more upping the float size until it could be eased through with the pin, at which point I hooked a barbel which soon got fed up of me and my 2lb line. I went home and watched the football.

Hope springs, and all that, so it was nice to find the river looking uncharacteristically calm, and with a fraction of the colour from the recent rains still in.

pd2.jpg

After Sunday's disaster, I concluded it was a case of the harder you try, the worse it gets. So I opted for a peg with a less challenging descent.

pd1.jpg

I'd brought hemp, caster and tares. The river is wide and shallow – about 5' max – here, and I started about 20m out, half-depth on a waggler. I'd fed a bit whilst tackling up, and first cast in, I feathered the float in and the rod pulled over as an 8 oz roach took the bait off the top and hooked itself. The fish were keen to feed, but it wasn't all plain sailing, as they moved around and up and down in the water. I think I caught roach at every depth from top to bottom and across a wide stretch of the river. The uncanny mirror surface and several pike attacks didn't help me or the roach. It's amazing how often the pike time their attack so they grab the roach just as you've hooked it, and for a second, before it starts to steam off, you wonder what kind of roach you've hooked. With the fish moving around nervously, it didn't turn into the session that looked on at the start, but it's satisfying when you guess where they've gone and catch a couple and so on. The average size was good and the fish are fit and strong. First session that's been less than disastrous for a while!

image.jpg

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score

image.jpg

Another old codgers match today on the GUC near Tring. Rod, float and line only again like last week. Unlike last week I failed to frame with 4lb:2...

image.jpg
[/url]

7lb:14 won it and 7lb:10 second, Son of Meldrew came 3rd with 6lb:4.

Plenty of species showed today:- Rudd, roach, skimmers, ruff, perch, and chub.
A couple of anglers got smashed up by lumps, probably carp or big chub...

iain t

Reaction score
Got out again this morning before the weekly shopping trip. Fishing the Rother at Fittleworth. Doing a reccy first i looked over the no fishing side of the bridge only to see what looked like about 20 Barbel or slender Chub about a foot long. The water was a bit muddy coloured. Without polarised glasses, i would have missed them. I set up as close as allowed to the other side of the bridge. The only problem was the fish were up stream and i was down. Anyway, i started to throw balls of Spam under the bridge with my fingers crossed. Under my feet, i could see lots of what looks like Dace fry swimming against the current.
Am only guessing what they were again to the colour of the water.
After many casts, nothing. Whilst reeling in my last cast i noticed a dark shape chasing after my lump of Spam, as i got my hook nearer to me i saw it was a large Pike. I raised my hook and bait out of the water only to see the Pike jump out of the water just like a Shark and only just missing my hook within inches. What a magnificent creature. Fab colouring. Feeling sorry for it i chucked in a large chunk of Spam to it. It grabbed the meat as i hit the water. Am no Pike angler and have only caught a few over the years by fluck. I would rather leave them to the chaps that know how to handle this properly. Although i blanked today i really enjoyed myself. Out again tomorrow but this time a bit more upstream.

The Runner

Reaction score
A bit late with the weekends report- didn't have the now customary Saturday evening on the Colne as having meal with stepkids, no match on so Sunday evening session instead. Had intended to go after the Newcastle game had ended but after Nosferatu's latest brainfart left 20 minutes earlier than that.... Went in at the top end for a change planning to have a quick couple of hours on the sluice before moving to a barbel swim but too clear and bright to start there, and the swim below the bridge where there's more weed cover had a bit too much...(solid with streamer weed which you can't see on the pic to go with the pennywort which you can)
P1011610 (1) — Postimage.org
So walked up to the top bend on the main river- stick produced about 20 perch, nothing any real size before it died so dropped back to a swim halfway down the sluice which was unexpectedly hard even with the sun now off it- one 6oz dace and a few perch in an hour with no sign of the chub that can show there, so 6 30 and time for a barbel swim on the main river.
P1011607 — Postimage.org
Straight onto maggot feeder as usually not enough bits on this swim to be a nuisance. Fed it quite heavily but no action, just four perch about 4 oz each at half hour intervals. No indications at all otherwise, gave it until dark and nothing for the other two barbel anglers further up either

seth49

Reaction score
Nice day out yesterday, tried another pond for a change, mick decided just to fish for carp, two rods etc, while I put a sleeper rod out for carp, and fished for silvers, on the float, I pumped some six mm expanders and put some of the Sonu baits krill liquid on them which dyed them red.

Fed soaked two mm pellets, and fished close in by some irises, had skimmers and bream from the off, plus some nice little roach and Rudd. tried a piece of prawn occasionally but just got small perch, plenty of small perch, but don't catch many bigger ones.

Caught steadily on the float all day, but no carp, mick on the other hand was catching plenty, finished with eight and lost four, I never saw a sign of one in my swim, and we were only about thirty yards apart, still I enjoyed today ,although I've a stiff neck today, from watching the float, probably have a day for the carp tomorrow, give my neck a rest, plus mick is now on forty four carp for the year against my thirty seven, in our usual carp race, good day and nice weather to.?

sheffields12

Reaction score
Nice day out yesterday, tried another pond for a change, mick decided just to fish for carp, two rods etc, while I put a sleeper rod out for carp, and fished for silvers, on the float, I pumped some six mm expanders and put some of the Sonu baits krill liquid on them which dyed them red.

Fed soaked two mm pellets, and fished close in by some irises, had skimmers and bream from the off, plus some nice little roach and Rudd. tried a piece of prawn occasionally but just got small perch, plenty of small perch, but don't catch many bigger ones.

Caught steadily on the float all day, but no carp, mick on the other hand was catching plenty, finished with eight and lost four, I never saw a sign of one in my swim, and we were only about thirty yards apart, still I enjoyed today ,although I've a stiff neck today, from watching the float, probably have a day for the carp tomorrow, give my neck a rest, plus mick is now on forty four carp for the year against my thirty seven, in our usual carp race, good day and nice weather to.?
I haven't managed to get out lately, had to do some DIY around the house :(

Hoping to get out tomorrow, i have a quick question for you... When using prawn as bait, do you buy them with shells on, or just the little prawns that are ready to eat? (De-shelled etc)

seth49

Reaction score
I just get the small cold water ones. They are ready shelled. They are easy to use. Have caught a few kinds of fish on them. ?

Pete Shears

Reaction score
Mist rising off the reservoir this morning with the car telling me it was 6.5C outside but with absolutely no wind it didn't matter.Set up the two method feeder rods and using the spod rod sent out four loads of groundbait in an old broken spod weighted with lead strips to act as a giant swimfeeder.
Sat back sipping a coffee with the peace and quiet regularly shattered by 150+ canada geese.
Only had four bites all morning : 5lb 9oz female tench,4lb 6oz male tench,12oz skimmer and a hand sized roach - a better result than Saturday when it was a bream only affair ranging from 5lb down to 6oz.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Fancied another day of Rudd chasing and with good weather forecast made an early start.

On arrival first task, dip net and matt, not something anyone wants to see, be vigilant people especially here in the Southeast.

jd5ex21.jpg

Thought I'd try something different today, pellet waggler method using a whip. My only concern was attracting carp into the swim but with literally tonnes of boilies being heaved by the carp anglers it was my hope they'd be preoccupied elsewhere and fifty feet down.

Having fished a few times now for these bars of gold I've got to know their feeding times which does seem very consistent, early morning til about 8am, then little action til lunchtime and so it was today.

They certainly like a pellet and I'd reached the twenty mark before breakfast. During the quiet spell fished deep and caught a few roach and bream and then it was back to fishing shallow and catching some of the best quality Rudd to date, all requiring the net, no swinging to hand with this whip. The best turned out to be a personal best with a lovely fish just 1oz shy of 2lb.

GF301eS.jpg

Meanwhile, three carp anglers banked two carp between them.

Last edited:

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Down in Wales for a fortnight and after a disappointing Sunday session on a pool producing around fifteen roach and half a dozen very small perch decided to try trotting worm on the Cleddau at Holgan Farm yesterday. End result was only four small brown trout to about 8-10 oz, but will probably give it at least one more go while I'm down here, river was up. coloured and three of the four fish were the result of feeling the bite on the pin rather than the movement of the float. Only one "chubber" lost (first float that's gone astray in months!) hope it's not a sign of things to come:rolleyes:

nottskev

Reaction score
Back on the Trent today. It was a bit breezy, so I went for the pacey stretch that defeated me on Sunday. It's easier to keep the float under control when the current is stronger than the wind. The only anglers who bother with this stretch are after barbel, but it has plenty of roach in summer. It was looking pretty.

peg1.jpg

It was waggler last time out, and I don't like to repeat sessions, so I was looking forward to fishing the stick with the usual hemp, caster and tares. The first dozen fish were tiny roach, and then some better ones started to get involved. At more or less the same time, every pike in the area – and there are quite a few - camped out in front of me. One was trying to pull the keepnet in, while others concentrated on snatching hooked fish. It probably wouldn't be an exaggeration to say I was playing pike for as long as I was playing roach. These pike have a shocking lack of respect for ancient spliced tip rods.

tip.jpg

Still, it was never dull, and I ended up with a few in the net, although the average size was a bit smaller than the last trip. They still make that satisfying 'clonk', such is the pace of the river, and it's great to see the river teeming with fish. There wasn't a lot of teeming when I first came down here in the early years of this century.

fish.jpg

I packed up shortly after something went badly wrong inside this old closed-face. I'd just been thinking how good it had been since I bought it in 2000 when something involving the sliding switch that locks it up to allow you to undo the spool occurred, and I couldn't bear the crunchy noises. I'll need to look at this now as I'm not the kind of person who can ignore tackle in distress.

reel.jpg

It's an ill wind, and just as I stepped off the bank, the usual Trent Valley gloom descended and it poured down as I left the car park.

peg_2.jpg

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I had a couple of hours on the lake outlet today, mostly small stuff but some of the dace were getting quite large (as far as dace go) a couple of decent ones here.....

I thought i'd keep a few fish in my landing net and take a pic like Peter Crabtree, this was after no more than 15 min's but minus as many again that had got through a hole in the net that was caused by a lousey bramble...

I let those go and put another dace in the net. As I was putting maggots on my hook I noticed my landing net handle going past me and realised something was pulling it in! I bent down and got hold of it and pulled it back, in the process I pulled an angry pike onto the bank lol. The pike had latched onto the dace which must have been half out of the hole in the net, and it's teeth had got fast in the mesh so it couldn't let go when I pulled in the net. The pike flipped about and fell back in the stream and the poor dace was left half out of the hole a little worse for wear....

Even after all the commotion and trauma of being pulled out onto the bank the pike latched onto the next dace I brought upstream, I struck but my hook just flew up in the air so must have just missed the pikes mouth. That dace must have been a decent sized one as it seemed like it filled up the pike because it didn't bother me again.
The fish i've caught in this outlet have really shocked me, a baby barbel, trout, dace, chub, Ide and I now know there are pike lurking in there as well.
I really must get on the lake and see what it will produce.

When I got home these lot where waiting for their tea....

Last edited:

theartist

Reaction score
Despite having loads of work to do I needed a road trip yesterday and it was one of those 'where did the journey go' trips as I just rolled along listening to music, so within three hours I was on the banks of the River Teme. One of my favourite stretches of river anywhere, the scenery is stunning and the river is fast and shallow, just how I like it, although it was as low as I'd seen it and very clear but my target fish is the master of disguise.

I hadn't had a grayling all season and whilst it's not chocca with them I knew I'd get a few and so ending up with 37 just one short of my pb for the stretch I was more than happy, it never ceases to amaze me how they can be in a foot of clear water right in front of you yet you still can't see them, water that I could barely stand in for fear of being washed away. Throw in a few chub, dace, parr and of course those nutty spotted ones and it made for a really good day.

sheffields12

Reaction score
Off out for a few hours tonight after work to local commy, seeing as the weather is good and the Mrs is off to work.

Going armed with a float rod, waggler and baits such as sweetcorn, meat and prawns (Hoping for some perch). First time I'll have used prawns!
Would be happy with Perch and a few decent silvers. Will let you all know how i get on.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Poor show that, Sheffield12.....Any decent chap would be dropping the wife off at work, AND picking her up again!

Hope you catch though, having made the effort!

theartist

Reaction score
Poor show that, Sheffield12.....Any decent chap would be dropping the wife off at work, AND picking her up again!

Hope you catch though, having made the effort!

How sexist! how about the missus drops him off, goes to work and picks him up again after? This is the 90's you know! ;)