How did you get on?

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Had a bit of a mare in club match at Willows, London Colney. (Main lake, field bank)
Mistake...Could see that quite a few in the lower numbers had switched to pole early on so stayed with feeder as would always be playing catch up if I changed later and was sure would pick up a few proper fish eventually

Been there many times, got the T shirts...
26 acre nightmare venue innit ....

The Runner

Reaction score
Been there many times, got the T shirts...
26 acre nightmare venue innit ....
Certainly is, which is probably why I like it...
One thing I have noticed there virtually every time I've fished it is that the better fish very rarely seem to move from whichever pegs they show on at the start. They might drift further out and back in again, but hardly ever sideways.

cg74

Reaction score
Rather than start a new thread I'll let this one run for now.

Today we fished a club fixture on the river Thame, a tributary of the Thames near Oxford.
My first visit to the venue which the Tring anglers actually own outright.. Real Mr Crabtree stuff.
It sits on an island with the main river down one side and a backwater down the other.
I drew on the main river. It was coloured nicely with a slow flow.
Just fished light 0.8gr stick float on my 15ft rod and antique Abu 501 reel for the entire match ( 6 hours ) started on punch and hooked a decent fish first chuck but it, and the next fish both fell off...Peg died for half an hour after that so I stopped for a while and fed a pinch of maggots every minute or so.
Bites started again on single maggot, mainly chublets and gudgeon.
Finished 3rd with 1lb 3 oz, Winner had 2lb 2oz second had 1lb 8 oz.
21 fished....

Simon, out of curiosity how many of the 21 anglers caught?

aebitim

Reaction score
First trip of the year to the lower Avon Thursday, kitted up with feeder and float, ended up fishing float only as I forgot the handle for the leger reel, I had also picked up the wrong float box which only contained light slow water stick floats, never mind I thought I am here and will enjoy it anyway. Thouroughly searched a couple of swims and the only response was from a sea trout which threw the hook after a couple of mins. Moved lower down for the last hour into a prebaited swim and had a couple of chub straight off, then after a ten min quit spell the float dipped and the water emptied from the swim as a 20lb plus carp took offence to my size 14 catching its dorsel, the hook pulled pinging float and shot straight into the rod tip causes a complete mess, and it started to rain, so took the hint and went home.

B

binka

Do you bite your nails?

I probably would if I could reach but I'm afraid I have to resort to piggling, I have considered a manicure but can't find anyone who'll go within five yards of 'em :D

neil1970

Reaction score
A good qick session today - 2.30 til 4.30

I tried an 8mm halibut pellet with particle feeder in one swim for almost the entire session, with no results.

I decided to go a couple of pegs up for the last 15 minutes and fished an 8mm bit of peperami with a 1oz lead.

A chub came on the second chuck and a barbel on the one after.

Chub 2lb

Barbel 5.4lb

:)

neil1970

Reaction score
cheers Jerry, yes definitely more colour to it and stuff washing down, but the level looked pretty much the same to my untrained eye :)

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
nicepix.....talking of nails; in your first pic (which shows your feet and sandals off very nicely) are your two big toe nails bruised or, God forbid, and I hesitate to say it, is it a touch of pink nail varnish..........................nah!

Could be the light of course, but.....................

guerrillafisher

Reaction score
Went after a barbel or two on a tiny notts stream yesterday, real jungle jim fishing, weed choked from bank to bank with only the odd tiny "hole" to place a baited hook.
Very very difficult fishing amongst hi brambles n nettles but acheived what I wanted.

Sounds fantastic just my bag, although I have never fished a river despite living a stone's throw from the Tawe all my life and doing every other type of fishing over the years!

---------- Post added at 13:25 ---------- Previous post was at 13:12 ----------

Went after a barbel or two on a tiny notts stream yesterday, real jungle jim fishing, weed choked from bank to bank with only the odd tiny "hole" to place a baited hook.
Very very difficult fishing amongst hi brambles n nettles but acheived what I wanted.

Sounds fantastic just my bag,
There is nothing more rewarding than a good days fishing after a hard days prepairing, the hike to the little fished secluded spot, weeding an unfished and unknown corner of a water, then cometh the fish!
That said I have never fished a river, despite living a stone's throw from the Tawe all my life and doing every other type of fishing over the years!...maybe one day.