How did you get on?

flightliner

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words Steve.you're right, so many good river men all gone now never to return I fear yet it's so much better than many think for the redfins.
The river was totally deserted save for barbel anglers waiting for nightfall.
Such a far cry from what it once was.

john step

Reaction score
NnjuRMc.jpg

Had 3 of these today on my favourite carp "baitrunner" reel. (see DO WE NEED BAITRUNNER)thread.
Nice to float fish for them and slow them down by hand on rim.

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Not a lot ot report really right now have manage to get out on the loal canal most evenings for an hour or so some reasonable fish mainly Perch to around 1.5lb the odd roach and Rudd .

Still feeling somewhat C**P right now so not doing anything too adventuerous .

PG ...

nottskev

Reaction score
I had a couple of days in late May fishing Esthwaite Water in The Lakes. The roach were off spawning, but there was no shortage of trout willing to deputise on feeder and slider methods.
I went back for another couple of days, and got lucky with the weather again.

es3.jpg

There are plenty of big roach and bream in this water, but the catches from this area – it shelves off to about 15' at 40m – just lately had been mixed bags of small to medium size perch,roach, bream and hybrids, and even these were staying well out from the bank. With a car park in the trees right behind you, the access couldn't be better, and fishing there reminds me pleasantly of fishing in Ireland. The owner says he has often passed over the area and it has shown empty on the sonar, and advises you to put some bait in to give them a reason to come in, so out went a dozen balls of groundbait full of casters and dead maggots, followed by a window feeder. I hadn't tried these before, and I found they really do beat the trad. groundbait feeder for this type of fishing, with even a 20g model casting 40m easily. The big stuff stayed out of range, but with a bite every cast, I couldn't complain. For such a wild and relatively little-fished lake, the fish proved quite cute, and the best method proved to be a long tail – about 4' – which got you hittable bites on the drop.

es2.jpg

The roach are fine-looking, and I'll definitely be paying a visit in the winter, when you're not mithered with little perch and skimmers.

es1.jpg

B

binka

A bit of a mystery session for me today in as much as I didn’t even know where I was heading as I pulled off the drive early this morning.

I had several options and with nothing really standing out I decided to go and get a coffee but I still wasn’t sure where to head for after that and I eventually ended up at a local country park day ticket lake which used to fish well for big roach on the worm.

I had packed the light float gear along with worm, maggot and groundbait which meant a chopped worm approach with a light set up and I chose a float which I made only last week. It lay flat with the 2 x no.6 locking shot and a single no.8 dropper took it all the way down to the tip colour which I’d deliberately made long so that I could do some worming with it as well as dot it down with smaller baits…

binka-albums-misc-picture4757-img-7080-a.jpg

A 1.12lb hooklink and we were sitting pretty…

binka-albums-misc-picture4759-img-7073-a.jpg

In went a small ball of chopped worm binded with dry groundait and the bites started pretty quickly but not from roach, instead this little fella took a liking to the hookbait…

binka-albums-misc-picture4760-img-7079-a.jpg

He wasn’t the only one either, following a couple of small perch I then took a common that was even smaller followed by another mirror which was slightly bigger and a chat with the bailiff revealed that they had been stocked a few months ago and were obviously settling down well.

I then got into a few roach which in turn were herded out by an absolute hoard of perch around the 4oz range and then something solid came along and livened up proceedings for the following few minutes.

Good fun on the light gear, it turned out to be a mirror of around 7lbs which ran me halfway around the lake…

binka-albums-misc-picture4758-img-7083-a.jpg

As the day wore on and the sun got brighter things tailed off and so I decided to have a couple of hours up in the water with maggot, I just added the tiniest shot I had to dimple the float right down and low and behold that’s where I suspect the roach had been sitting all morning…

binka-albums-misc-picture4761-img-7085-a.jpg

Not big but plenty of ‘em and busy fishing on the drop.

Plenty of bait left so I will play it by ear tomorrow but fancy it will be an afternoon into evening trotting session on the river… :w

mikench

Reaction score
Ah one feels that finally all is well with the world; Binka is fishing, catching, taking great photos and dare I say it , enjoying hîmself again!:rolleyes:

lambert1

Reaction score
Managed to get out for the first time in weeks yesterday for an afternoon/evening session. Plenty of fish but also my clumsiest session ever resembling Thelwell's Complete Tangler. Kicked the bait box over (never done that before) hooked a tree first cast and generally gave a bumbling performance. I will say in my defence that I have not been well recently (hence the lack of fishing) and have had issues with balance. By the time I can get to see a doctor whose opinion I trust, I will probably be better: Steady stream of Dace, Roach, Perch and a single Gudgeon. Couple of nice Roach around 6oz in excellent condition, which is always such a pleasing sight as they have a rough time of it predator wise. So nice to sit on the bank again and watch the Kingfisher and others. I kept it very simple, float fishing maggots and feeding regularly. The fish were very obliging and the disgorger got plenty of use as they seemed in a real hurry to wolf the bait down. I am used to that with the Perch but even some of the Dace and Roach were deeper hooked than normal such was their eagerness. Good luck to all this holiday weekend.

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
As soon as I stepped out this morning, I felt like Alec Guinness in Bridge on the River Kwai. It was so darned hot that, within ten minutes, Alec wasn't the only cool Guinness I felt like but I soldiered on and a twelve pack of Spa cola had to suffice. Quality I didn't expect but at that price, I couldn't say No.

I travelled light with just pole rigs and plummets in my box and the usual suspects for bait - corn, meat, prawns for the hook and chili hemp for loose.

With the landing net handle in my pole bag and the net attached to the box, all good to go.

I fished a regular swim, in fact one I've fished many, many times over the years and settled in with the pole, 8lb main line, a .75g float to a 14 to 6.1lb bottom - meat on the hook, cubed to 8mm.

It all felt, with the roles reversed, like Wellington's famous quote - they came at us in the same old way and we fought them off....

Not much waiting today though, they were on it in a flash and a steady train of small carp (biggest around 5lbs), skimmers (up to the pound mark or so), the odd roach and rudd and a gift off El SKipperondo, a solitary eel around the pound mark.

The birdlife was its usual splendid display with a Jenny Wren that seemed happy with the warm weather, a beautiful singing voice, far more talented than the troglodytes Simon Cowell calls capable.

After a while I also had Springsteen and some fine Seattle grunge for company and my line of coke kept me topped up nicely. It didn't impact on the catch rate which held steady and the hours flew by until I called a halt with an estimated 45lb bag.

I enjoyed it but I really need a wilder challenge so I think the natural, normally stocked lake at Milton Abbas may feature fairly soon.

Until the next trip, have a blinder if you're out over the weekend and please take and use the relevant sun protection - it can sometimes be warmer than you think :)

Reaction score
Been today on a local lake,slider fishing pellet for the big roach,had quite a few roach,by far the best were 2-2 and 2-3 beauts,plus a catfish of 12-10 on 4lb line,lost another larger moggie that found a dense bed of blanket weed and straightened my size 16 hook.

robtherake

Reaction score
The birdlife was its usual splendid display with a Jenny Wren that seemed happy with the warm weather, a beautiful singing voice, far more talented than the troglodytes Simon Cowell calls capable.

After a while I also had Springsteen and some fine Seattle grunge for company and my line of coke kept me topped up nicely. It didn't impact on the catch rate which held steady and the hours flew by until I called a halt with an estimated 45lb bag.

I bet it did!:D

James Hunt reputedly enjoyed a line, pre-race. S'pose if it's OK for a world champion...;)

mikench

Reaction score
As

Until the next trip, have a blinder if you're out over the weekend and please take and use the relevant sun protection - it can sometimes be warmer than you think :)

Hey man you were clearly in Nirvana!:rolleyes: I cannot keep my GB tidy let alone a line of coke( not that I have tried or even know what it is you understand):rolleyes:

Last edited:
B

binka

We’ve had some right stinkers over the years when it comes to Bank Holiday weather but what a glorious day it’s been again today and I made it two out of two with a return to the river for the first time in three weeks.

No big hurry, I enjoyed an easy morning around the house before getting off and arriving around midday with a couple of pints of reds and two sets of newly made Avon floats to try out, the river was gin clear but I didn’t think it would hamper me too much given that I was in my secret banker swim and judging by the height of the nettles it had lay undisturbed since my last visit…

binka-albums-misc-picture4762-ft.jpg

My first observation of the newly made Avon was that I won’t be whipping any more stems on future river floats, it looks nice but it’s a damned nuisance to slide float rubbers over but on the plus side there was no way they were sliding off by accident :)

I tried a few different sizes and was pleased with them all whilst picking off small chub, dace, perch and a proper gudgeon to be proud of and I even had a bullhead before the float finally buried with a barbel which did itself every credit before gracing the net…

binka-albums-misc-picture4763-bbl.jpg

Happy with that, it felt like I’d truly christened the float.

Very much the same pattern as before on the put back in and I managed another fish of around 6lbs an hour or so later before calling it a day and heading back home for a cold beer or three.

As always my phone was in my waistcoat pocket and I heard it ding with a text halfway through the afternoon and after checking a few minutes later I found out that I’m at final interview stage with a job I’ve been chasing over the last few weeks and have attended two previous interviews for and even the fishing was eclipsed for a short while until I got my head back on the main priority and it's safe to say that it's been a good day all around!

Half a kilo of worms still in the garage and a bag of groundbait, could it be three out of three tomorrow?

I wouldn’t bet against it… :w

nottskev

Reaction score
It was scorching hot as I was deciding where and how to fish this afternoon. Stick float on a fast, non-navigable section? Or waggler on a steady stretch above the weir? Either way, it was going to be hemp and tares for the roach. The steady stretch had shade from the trees, so I plumped for that.

tr4.jpg

That was my first mistake. This lovely shady peg is also half a mile from the uppermost marina on the navigable Trent, and a few hundred yards from the confluence with the Trent and Mersey canal. Not the best place to be on a bank holiday weekend, as I soon found. A quiet spell was when there was only one boat coming through. One from each direction wasn't uncommon.

tr5.jpg

Every type of waterborne craft passed by. Here's a fur-trapper taking his dead friend back to the Cajun village. Great film, Southern Comfort, no?

tr6.jpg

If you were really quick, you could cast in and catch one of these between the boats

tr7.jpg

But the bigger roach kept their heads down, and I can't say I blame them. Probably took themselves off to a non-navigable section. I won't be going there tomorrow.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Club match today on a day ticket lake in Bucks. Usually this lake is gin clear and very weedy but the owners have been busy raking swims and there was a good bit of colour too. Roach, tench, crucians, bream and perch mainly in this lake..
2 or 3 uncatchable big grass carp cruise around the middle but no carp to speak of...:)

image.jpg
[/url]

Fishing time was 9 to 1pm, weigh in, then 2pm to 5:30 weigh in again...

During the the first 4 hours I fished single red maggot 3ft deep at 11m on the pole in 9ft of water, bites were thick and fast, mainly netter roach. The wind came and went with the bigger roach hanging themselves when there was a ripple on the water...

The second half was a bit different, the wind disappeared and the sun got hotter, the shallow line was finished so I fished treble maggot on the deck. Had my first tench in a few years....

image.jpg

skov

Reaction score
I had an overnighter fishing for tench and eels on my favourite gravel pit last night.
The result was a pair of ~1.5lb eels on a maggot feeder, and an unexpected 22lb mirror on a mini tutti frutti boilie.

0lxT6asXtNFc4txVhou5DrqekmmXF2SrBQIOyjPAY8TI9Vzhe1zX7L_DfVUR0rdq1Pc8qWvCqHSh8tudRQX1RSf7a1bY5GCElxSiwKRo837aCC2EEroV1yoDsUlrBzODjB2LyJTqlnk

I wasn't too disappointed that it wasn't a tench :D

Last edited: