How did you get on?

mikench

Reaction score
Kev you are right about the film Southern Comfort; one of my favourites with a great Ry Cooper score! Powers Boothe died not so long ago!

Steve you sock it to em at the next interview! I have every confidence in you!:)

Teabreak

Reaction score
I've got my JW Avon and a whip and yesterday for the first time used both at the same time. So the JW is out with a feeder and not much is happening but lots of stuff topping close in. Got the whip out and put it down to my left and baited with a piece of sandwich. Promptly then picked up the feeder rod on my right instead of the whip. :eek:mg: This multi tasking is beyond me.

Nothing else worth talking about.

nottskev

Reaction score
Slipped up yesterday and copped for death by bank holiday boaters. So today I headed for a non-navigable stretch below a weir. I'm starting to feel like I post the same report every time, so let me fast-forward to the interesting bit.

Pacey water, stick float blah blah, hemp and tares blah, roach lined up blah blah, pike eat roach, destroy net blah blah. Came up with answer – fish tare on size 14 611 hook and wind them in faster than pike can catch them. It's not pretty, but I have 10lb of hand-sized roach in first two hours.
It's going well.

Then I notice an object passing me in the brisk flow. What's that? Oh, it's my landing net, which has slid in and set off downstream. I follow it down, hoping to arrest it with a priceless spliced -tip float rod but fortunately I remember which is the more valuable item before I snap the tip poking at it..

The landing net wedged itself about 12' out from the bank in the raft of branches and rubbish under the tree you can see at the end of this wonderful swim in the pic. It's still there now.

net.jpg

So in two visits to the Trent I've had a reel self-destruct, and managed to sabotage a promising session by throwing my landing net in the river.

Naturally the net was on a classy carbon handle, and was itself a favourite ( if that's sad, I don't mind), a Colmic model made from a kind of stiffened net curtain fabric in an inspiring sky blue colour.

I think I need a break from Trent roach fishing. It's great, but I like a bit of variety, and several things have militated against that: my favourite lake has been closed all summer; the deep lake bream fishery has banned nets, a no no for me; I stupidly gave up my ticket on the brilliant Trent waters where barbel actually work the day shift, and some kind of wrist tendonitis has stopped me fishing the pole. And I've seen enough roach for a while.

By the way, the tree with the net stuck in? A friend caught a 16lb carp from under that tree last season. It's good to know you're never far away from one :wh

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
it seems all wrong to like your post. Things will get better, they must get better.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Then I notice an object passing me in the brisk flow. What's that? Oh, it's my landing net, which has slid in and set off downstream. I follow it down, hoping to arrest it with a priceless spliced -tip float rod but fortunately I remember which is the more valuable item before I snap the tip poking at it..

The landing net wedged itself about 12' out from the bank in the raft of branches and rubbish under the tree you can see at the end of this wonderful swim in the pic. It's still there now.

Wasn't it worth taking a dip in the river to retrieve the net Kev ?

I had a couple of hours on the lake outlet today, and had quite a lot of small chub, a mixture of small and large dace and a colorful trout. The level had dropped right down and I would imagine a lot of the better fish had backed off into the lake. A good m8 of mine was with me today, just to watch me fish and have a chat. He's lived near this little stream all his life, I asked him if it ever dries up when the levels in the lake drop right down. He reckons the lake is fed by several streams which can become small trickles in a heatwave but the lake is also fed from a spring and so the outlet is always flowing at a reasonable level, not dropping much lower than it was today.

mikench

Reaction score
Slipped up yesterday and copped for death by bank holiday boaters. So today I headed for a non-navigable stretch below a weir. I'm starting to feel like I post the same report every time, so let me fast-forward to the interesting bit.

Pacey water, stick float blah blah, hemp and tares blah, roach lined up blah blah, pike eat roach, destroy net blah blah. Came up with answer – fish tare on size 14 611 hook and wind them in faster than pike can catch them. It's not pretty, but I have 10lb of hand-sized roach in first two hours.
It's going well.

net.jpg

So in two visits to the Trent I've had a reel self-destruct, and managed to sabotage a promising session by throwing my landing net in the river.

Naturally the net was on a classy carbon handle, and was itself a favourite ( if that's sad, I don't mind), a Colmic model made from a kind of stiffened net curtain fabric in an inspiring sky blue colour.

I think I need a break from Trent roach fishing. It's great, but I like a bit of variety, and several things have militated against that: my favourite lake has been closed all summer; the deep lake bream fishery has banned nets, a no no for me; I stupidly gave up my ticket on the brilliant Trent waters where barbel actually work the day shift, and some kind of wrist tendonitis has stopped me fishing the pole. And I've seen enough roach for a while.

By the way, the tree with the net stuck in? A friend caught a 16lb carp from under that tree last season. It's good to know you're never far away from one :wh

Kev I feel guilty ! You impart Angling skills to me enabling me to catch the elusive tench and you end up with all my failings and bad habits!:(. That could have been me!;) It can but improve Kev!;)

Ian is that a Berwick pin in the pics?

Last edited:
B

binka

Ian is that a Berwick pin in the pics?

I can tell you that it is Mike, I know Ian is a big fan of the Bewick and he has several of them including two which are engraved with his initials :p :D

Little to write home about for me following a session on a gravel pit yesterday afternoon, it was a session to use up some leftover worm and enjoy the glorious sunshine.

In actual fact, with the large and gin clear pit a good 15" down on its usual level and with the gear placed on the dry, stoney shoreline along with the warm, mistral like wind you could have been forgiven for thinking you were on some Mediterranean island beach, very pleasant indeed and it whipped up the surface enough to make me think I might be in with an outside chance of a big roach in the otherwise unfavourable conditions...

binka-albums-misc-picture4764-sdna.jpg

I'm firmly convinced that I had a couple of enquiries from these elusive fish given the very finicky nature of the pulls on a half an ounce glass tip but the only fish to grace the net in my six hours of sun bathing was a perch of around a pound which did their usual trick of almost pulling the rod off the rest.

Very nice to be out again and to have made it three in three days... :w

mikench

Reaction score
I think I will come home Steve! Very Mediterranean !!!:) It was so hot at the beach yesterday with no shade apart from a red blue and yellow parasol( would look good on the Trent) that I couldn't be bothered taking the tackle out of the car so just enjoyed the view, read my book and watched the other fisherman catching .............zilch, nada, nowt!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
B

binka

As Ste Binka says it's a Greys Bewick.

I only said that because I thought it wasn't, I remember making the mistake of thinking a reel was a Bewick in one of your pictures some time ago and it turned out to be one of your Chris Lythe's :D

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I only said that because I thought it wasn't, I remember making the mistake of thinking a reel was a Bewick in one of your pictures some time ago and it turned out to be one of your Chris Lythe's :D

I reckon a trip to speck savers might be round the corner Ste ;) :D.

nottskev

Reaction score
As Ste Binka says it's a Greys Bewick. It's a bush and pin reel rather than a ball-race reel which is what the okumas are. They're not the best of centrepins but they're decent and you can pick them up for a good price on evilbay, one here for example....

HARDY GREYS BEWICK CENTREPIN FISHING REEL BNIB TROTTING GRAYLING AVON | eBay

Yes, they're super little reels. I bought one off eBay, and I was lucky enough to find a spare spool, unused, for £35 there a while later. I'm not so great at trotting with pins, but this one is ideal for close-in carp and tench. Chapmans have them at about £90, and there have been ads offering reel plus set of floats for around £80, but I can't recall where.

image.jpg

rubio

Reaction score
Not a lot of fishing done recently. I seem to be far too busy. Shame really as I'm on holiday!
A few moderate roach on stick and maggot/bread. very little flow but it's nearly autumn so worth the practice in anticipation of some excellent fishing to come. Soon?

mikench

Reaction score
As Ste Binka says it's a Greys Bewick. It's a bush and pin reel rather than a ball-race reel which is what the okumas are. They're not the best of centrepins but they're decent and you can pick them up for a good price on evilbay, one here for example....

HARDY GREYS BEWICK CENTREPIN FISHING REEL BNIB TROTTING GRAYLING AVON | eBay

Cheers Ian! Is that a decent price and are they worth having . I am sure Nottskev uses one and I tried his and had a few tench with it!;)

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Cheers Ian! Is that a decent price and are they worth having . I am sure Nottskev uses one and I tried his and had a few tench with it!;)

Cracking reels....my favourite pin and that is a good price. Very light and therefore more suited IMO to lighter work. My go to reel for trotting if I'm not expecting lumps. They are a bit smaller at 4 .25 ins ( I swear mine is only 4) which makes long retrieves a bit of a pain. True pin too....not a bearing reel if that's important to you.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Another old codgers rod, reel and float match today on the GUC near Tring...
This pound is usually Windy City but it wasn't too bad today although it got bloody hot around midday...
My peg was on a wide bit and it was shallow hard across so it was 2AA crystal waggler to a 18b511 to 0:07.. Small dendras or sections were popular with the skimbobs and perch....

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg
[/url]

The angler in the above picture won the match from the ( animal house ) bush to my left...28lb.

I only had 5lb:14 for my efforts....

16 fished...

image.jpg

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

As Skippy said it is a decent price for a brand spanker. It's worth having one if your a centrepin enthusiast and you fancy one. I wouldn't say go get one unless you actually want one. I can think of a lot of other centrepins i'd get before a Bewick. Unlike Skippy I have no problem using the Bewick for all sizes of fish, the bigger the better :).

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
As Skippy said it is a decent price for a brand spanker. It's worth having one if your a centrepin enthusiast and you fancy one. I wouldn't say go get one unless you actually want one. I can think of a lot of other centrepins i'd get before a Bewick. Unlike Skippy I have no problem using the Bewick for all sizes of fish, the bigger the better :).

I don't have a particular problem with it for bigger fish but I just think some of my other pins are slightly better options.......so my Bewick is loaded with light line.. It's such a light reel it seems better suited to a match type rod fishing for silvers ie work requiring a bit more finesse.

Mine is an original with the fake ivory handles doncha know ! Tart !