How did you get on?

Teabreak

Reaction score
My fishing is improving thanks to the good people here posting tips. I'm now using helicopter rigs, pellets, pellet banded hooks and striking on back drop bites. All new to me and the results are showing. Had this what I consider a handsome roach tonight

d8a8ddbe590a5952b61a81779b14edbc.jpg

Thanks to all you fine forum fellows for the advice you give

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I don't have a particular problem with it for bigger fish but I just think some of my other pins are slightly better options.......so my Bewick is loaded with light line.. It's such a light reel it seems better suited to a match type rod fishing for silvers ie work requiring a bit more finesse.

Mine is an original with the fake ivory handles doncha know ! Tart !

Do you mean the one with nicotine coloured handles Skippy?

seth49

Reaction score

Usual Tuesday trip yesterday, mick was back from his holiday, but he had dropped something on is big toe, so he was limping badly, and I had to drive, we decided to have a days carping, as they seemed to be feeding on the bottom again, and it would be a easy day, nice and warm and overcast, with just one shower in the late afternoon,

Fished from one o clock till dusk, the nights are drawing in quickly now, starting to go dark around eight thirty, we both fished two rods one across to the island and on in the margin, mick had the first two carp from the island, both around eleven pounds, then I had two around the same weight, one of these ran towards me no alarm I just saw the line swinging round from the rod tip, the second took while I was setting the captive back lead, just pulled the line from my fingers and away, the carp are in top condition now, and really scrapping now.

The near leather was next, that gave me a good scrap, trying to get under some low branches and then into the reeds, I had a run then on the margin rod but that came off within seconds, so four takes and three carp, mick had five and landed two,? Not his day today, not a lot of bird life, saw a buzzard,kestrel, swallows, and house martins. Nice peaceful day, enjoyed it.?

fishplate42

Reaction score
A great day last Saturday. I have not been for a day out fishing for a couple of months, for one reason or an other. I have only managed to catch the odd hour here and there on my local river with mixed results.

I was in two minds as to chance a commercial on a Bank Holiday weekend. Not only that but there is a long-term road closure on the A22 on the way to my favourite commercial venue; Beaver Fishery in Surrey.

As it turned out I needn't have worried. The diversion route was a breeze as I could take the direct route via a low and narrow bridge that precluded vehicles larger than my trusty LWB Transit. The traffic, both ways was lighter than normal. I got to the fishery before the gate opened and managed to get on the swim I wanted.

I fished a new swim, to me, after being wised up by the fishery staff as to where I might find the 600+lb of bream they had recently put into this lake...

36079424194_c64dd1cebc_c.jpg

This nice open water meant I could fish a feeder at distance and dabble with my tele-pole close in. It turned out to be an interesting day that culminated in landing the biggest fish of the day, not on the feeder, but on the tele-pole.

36079428054_263550221d_c.jpg

And that was not the only larger bream to stretch the elastic on that cheap pole. I am amazed at how much fun it is possible to have with a very cheap piece of tackle. It was part of the initial starter set I bought three years ago and at first I dismissed it as a toy. Rigging it with elastic through the top two sections and shipping it back into itself to swing or net fish make it very usable.

There is more about my day HERE, if anyone wants to read more. The only downside was the slime, I really don't like bream slime :mad::puke:

Ralph.

jon atkinson

Reaction score
Been 'darn sarf' for the father-in-law's 80th this weekend so was pleasantly surprised to get a pass out on Monday, but who am I to look the proverbial gift horse? The only negative was not having had a chance to get out for bait, but decided that this was an opportunity to wean myself off my maggot / caster dependency. Not an early start so I decided to keep it local at Ince Blundell fishing the road side pit which I had all to myself :D
jon-atkinson-albums-local-still-waters-picture4778-ince-blundell-roadside-17-08-28-a.jpg

I have a new phone which captured the setting beautifully... but now won't allow my laptop to download them :eek:mg: so an 'image free' post that can't be blamed on the forum runners! EDIT - Just got that sorted, so here come some pics!

With not using maggots I wasn't anticipating many bites, so I put a feeder rod out close to some reeds to my right with corn on the hook & mixed into the feed. A slight rattle whilst setting up the waggler rod resulted in a 1/4lb roach, then nothing for an hour or so.

Fishing soft pellet on the waggler a shy bite led to a small roach, then a couple more but the next one powered off... & was gone in seconds taking my hook length with it :eek: Re-tackled to a slightly smaller hook (16) & cast out, another small roach, then another surging run for about 5 seconds, then nothing - mr brim came up to the surface & allowed himself to be towed to the net - a little under 4lb, I was happy enough with that.
jon-atkinson-albums-local-still-waters-picture4780-bream-ince-blundell-17-08-28-a.jpg

Feeder rod went next; I had slackened the fightin' drag & it had started to take line when I struck. A better fish, that obviously made straight for the reeds :eek: I managed to coax it away after which it came relatively quietly to the net. HALLELUJAH! Finally... a tench :D a pristine female, again just shy of 4lb, that'll do for me.
jon-atkinson-albums-local-still-waters-picture4779-4lb-tench-ince-blundell-17-08-28-a.jpg

I managed a second of around 1lb shortly after which actually gave a much better account of itself, male this time though. Nothing but small roach thereafter, but I was more than happy with my day. I trust all those who ventured out were duly rewarded :w.

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
Too damned hot today and muggy with it. Whilst sat on the beach watching the world go by( sans tackle) two mirage jets flew by very low and fast and, as they climbed they applied their after burner and disappeared at a rate of knots! Bravo!

Keith M

Reaction score
I've been fishing a small river catching barbel for the last few weeks, and I needed a brief change of venue; so I decided to have a lazy evening session on a local estate lake behind a couple of Carp rods chasing some Carp for a change.

It was quite a warm day with quite a lot of floating algae beginning to show and I chose to fish tight up to the northwestern corner of one of the islands where it was a little deeper and in the lee of the prevailing winds plus it also gets a lot of shade from the overhanging trees and bushes on the island during the day plus it's also the furthest swim from the car park which can't be a bad thing.

I caught four Carp ranging from around 6lb (see photo) up to one of around 14 pounds (see 2nd photo) so nothing humongous.

I enjoyed myself emmensly and now I feel refreshed and just can't wait to get back on my local stream catching Barbel once again.

Keith

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I fished 3pm till 6pm swimming the stream today. The river looked spot on and was just how I like it. I got to the swim and had high expectations but unfortunately they where to be dashed :(.
I did catch a few small dace, some small chub to about a pound and a half tops and a tiddly barbel. There was a time when I could rely on catching barbel on the float in this swim but it's yielded sweet FA for a while now. I haven't been out anything like as much as previous years but when I have been my catch results have been pretty dire. Maybe things will pick up in the autumn.
Here's a pic of the tiddly barbel to decorate the post :rolleyes:....

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That's the one.....though I think my description is rather more elegant if not as brutally accurate. I guess it's a mark 1. Best pin I own.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news Skippy but there's no center boss screw on those reels (or i've never seen one like that with a center boss screw anyhow). Once it wears a little you'll be stuck with a reel with a lot of wobble/play. Since you like them so much Skippy my advice would get the one in the link I posted or one from somewhere else as cheap as you can and sell yours on.

mikench

Reaction score
I will look forward to the autumn Ian!;)

The Bewick disappeared so presumed sold and not to me!

Kev you have a pm. Did you send me one yesterday?

There has been no rain here for nearly 5 months and a drop or two would be nice! It is too hot for beachcasting !

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I will look forward to the autumn Ian!;)

The Bewick disappeared so presumed sold and not to me!

Kev you have a pm.

There has been no rain here for nearly 5 months and a drop or two would be nice! It is too hot for beachcasting !

Well Autumn is only round the corner so if you do get the urge there's not long to wait.
I wouldn't worry about the bewick Mike, there's no shortage of them if you do decide you want one.

Just hammered down here and is still a little drizzle. I reckon it's short lived though and it'll clear up shortly.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Bright and sunny today, not really the right conditions but I needed a change so I went down the GUC in the town with perch in mind. Set up my usual 13' ultra lite rod with a perch bobber I've had for years and never used...
Size 14 hook and whole dendra dropped in just over the edge of the near shelf.

image.jpg

First hour was all small perch, ruff and gudgeon, some not even hooked, just hanging onto the worm....

After a quiet spell I swung the rig out again and the float cocked and set but kept going down, I lifted in and met solid resistance....

Rod hooped over, the drag on my reel kicked in, and after a spirited tussle it was mission accomplished....

image.jpg

seth49

Reaction score

Usual Thursday trip to our fishery, fished one till eight fifteen, there was some very heavy rain in the morning, but it stopped about eleven o clock, a shame really because a lot of rain seems to put the fish off here.

Went for carp again, we have had a good bit of sport with these lately, mick got his fiftieth carp of the year yesterday,catching one and losing one, and I had two to get my forty ninth , it was fairly quiet to be honest, not much happening at all, did see a nice tench roll in front of me, and a couple of crucians showed as well,

Did have carp showing in the margins, but they were feeding on the 2mm pellets, and ignoring our hookbaits mostly, will try smaller baits next time,
Did see a kingfisher a couple of times, and the buzzard was about, could here it calling behind me, a lot of woodpigeons too, it's a lot colder here this morning, down to six degrees overnight, back again on Tuesday hopefully, might try for the silvers if it cools off.?

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
And now for something completely different !

Neither the BF nor I have ever caught a catfish....and frankly never had the time to even try to until I joined the ranks of the great unjobbed. So....with an itch that needed scratching we decided to have a go.

I've known about Pondwood, which is not far from me, for years but never got round to trying it....but speaking to a guy local to us that I met on one of my crucian jaunts he said it was well worth a go and that I'd almost certainly get one. They are not huge in there [ good] but there's plenty of them [also good] though it does get very busy [ not good] can be rather "swimmy" [ also not good] and is "rather small" [ double not good]. Anyway...we barrelled off for a recce and it is indeed very small....but it is also very pretty and in a lovely setting. This will do nicely.

So...yesterday afternoon off we trooped armed with what Phil called "conger tackle" to try to winkle out a wels apiece. As we expected the most popular [and productive] swims on the island were taken but the front bank was empty and this produces too....its also about 15 feet from the car park ! :D
We dropped in either corner with one rod in the margins and the other out into open water. I was away first cast on the open water rod but it was a carp that had snaffled my popped up crust which, for some reason, the Pondwood cats will take. Well, I wasn't there to catch bloody carp so I swapped my rig for another tope trace and the bait to a large lump of Mattesons finest. On the margin rod was a chunk of mackerel the size of a toddlers fist.:eek:mg:

After a while I noticed the line on my margin rod twitching/quivering and the odd tap on the rod tip....like a chub bite. Now I know next to nothing about catfish but that, to me, looked like a cat feeling the bait. Sure enough 15 mins later up goes the bobbin but my line has snagged on a root and I lose the lot. Damn !

Phil has also been getting this quivering line caper but its my open water rod that's away next and I'm in. Please let it not be a carp and it isn't....its a little kitten of about 5lb but my very first catfish. Job done !

Went a bit quiet then with a couple of pick up & drops but around 7-30 the quivering started again on the margin rod before a slow but very postive run. I'm in....and then all hell breaks loose ! I am hanging on for grim death giving not an inch of line while Captain Catfish tries to get back into his cave in the tree roots. I swear to God at one point he was so far under the bank he was behind me but eventually the pressure tells and I get him out into open water. Then it really starts and for 5-6 minutes I get a right shoeing. Never have I ever hooked anything with this sort of power. I thought my fairly basic carp rods would be more than adequate as the cats in Pondwood only go to around 35-40 lb. They're not....I am hanging on and hoping.

Eventually up comes a whiskerey face that's not Phils and moggy slides into the net. 14lb says Phil.....less than that I guessed,nearer 12lb and it went 11-14 on the scales so I wasn't far out. A tiddler in man catfishing terms but I was chuffed to bits....they look twice as big as they weigh and are fabulous looking creatures. Not everybodies cup of tea I guess but I love the look and colouration.

Being a gent [and having rather wobbly legs] I relinquished my swim for Phil. He didn't get one but I missed a run in his spot because I'd forgotten that my margin bait was now to my left not right so when the indicator lifted I struck in the wrong direction. What a knob !:eek:mg:

So....an itch scratched and I cannot wait to have another go. Fantastic.....I dread to think what a 50 pounder pulls like.:eek:

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
About an hour ago, I packed my small roving bag with my usual late afternoon mooch down the river in mind. However, I was rather enjoying my afternoon with the hi-fi turned up. I sat back down to listen to a few more tracks only to be disturbed by a loud splashy noise followed by a hefty bang. The gutters are rather suddenly overflowing and the thunder and lightening is pretty impressive. I guess I'll have to turn the hi-fi off and I'll be staying in for the footy now. Oh well, I wasn't that keen on going anyway.