How did you get on?

john step

Reaction score
I had my first perchquest today. Deadbait got me two. 2lb and 2lb 5ozs. Not good enough for the perch challenge but its a start.
002.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

john step

Reaction score
The imaging site wouldn't let me post two pictures. Whilst I waited for the deadbait runs I amused myself with 5 of these beauties on flake as well as 7 interloper mirror ncarp. A great day.

001.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Keith M

Reaction score
I talked myself into a short evening session on the waggler on one of my clubs local waters on Saturday evening.

So armed with a tin of sweetcorn (which I had transferred to a plastic container), a half pint of reds, a Drennan Tench float rod, a small reel loaded with 4lb line and some size 14 hooks tied to 3lb hooklengths, I arrived at around 4:30pm.

IMG_0189.jpg

It was a lovely evening with hardly a ripple disturbing the surface and I caught a steady number of small Carp from around 2lb-ish up to around 5lb-ish all on sweetcorn.
Occasionally I'd try using maggot on the hook but every time I used maggot it would be snaffled by a roach or small perch so I tended to stick to using corn on the hook 90% of the time.

Here's a few of the small Carp that I caught:
IMG_0191.jpg

IMG_0193.jpg

IMG_0197.jpg

IMG_0198.jpg

IMG_0201.jpg

There where two largish heron flying back and forth across the water with a much smaller and paler coloured heron sitting on a branch in the willow opposite me (probably one of their brood) I only wished that I'd had my camera setup ready at the time they were there..

It was another very enjoyable evening and even though I'd not caught any monsters they had all put a bend in my float rod.

Keith

Last edited:

neil1970

Reaction score
Re: Beautiful Polperro

Very enjoyable Neil, thanks for putting it together and posting it... One of those fish looks very like a Bullhead.

Not sure about the talking ticket machine but it's good to know that Bert Large of former Doc Martin fame managed to find employment :D

Any idea what the monster which got away might have been?

Thanks Steve :) Yes that ticket machine made me jump the first morning I visited!
There were some big wrasse around, so I'm guessing one of them was the culprit - my spindly 6lb braid and leader were no match for its first dive :D

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Another old codgers match today on the GUC Aylesbury arm in the town centre..
Gloomy, drizzly and cloudy on the towpath first thing but it brightened up later.
Rod, reel and float only made it quite tricky not to overcast on this fairly narrow pound. I think most of us snagged the far bank foliage a few times...

image.jpg

image.jpg
[/

Fished 8:30 to 13:30 with the winner weighing in 10lb+. Mainly skimmers and one big bream.

I was second with 2 skimmers and bits for 4lb:3oz..

3rd had 2:8.

9 fished...

mikench

Reaction score
Rien! Pas de Tout! Mind you dozing beneath a parasol didn't help nor the voluptuous woman not 10 yards from me sunbathing topless !:rolleyes: For some reason I just could not concentrate!;)

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
What is the world coming to ? Brother Simon fishing for brim in one of my zander spots !
:eek:
Back down Pondwood yesterday afternoon to see if the Big Feller could break his run of miserable luck. Incredibly the most popular ( and productive) swim on the lake was vacant so I threw him in there and dropped in a few yards along. Despite the murky condition which I would have thought ideal it was slow. I bumped a fish first chuck and suffered 3 airshot which I suspect were either carp or cats being dead cute.

It wasn't looking good until about 7pm when I finally connected after a good steady run and landed a small moggy of about 6lb. I'm still enthralled by their looks and even the little ones pull like hell.This did Grumpy no good at all as he'd been pestered by little twitches all afternoon. However......he finally converted a jerky run and after a bit of heave ho landed his first ever catfish. A bit bigger than mine at about 7lb or so.

It then went dead quiet as dusk approached.....but I felt sure one of us would get another chance and so it proved when Phil's RH rod screamed off and he's attached to a lump. Sadly...said lump knows the shortest route to all the snags and having got him out of his cavern under the oak Captain Catfish charged into another tangle of roots and smashed Phil's 15lb line like cotton.

Still...a fish apiece and TBF's catfish cherry popped. I think he was pleased but having lost in round 1 to a lump it was hard to tell. Im enjoying this because its different but he isn't. He is really not at all comfortable doing this sort of thing.and I doubt it will be long before I'm flying solo down there.

Last edited:

barbelboi

Reaction score
The forecast was dry and sunny so I took a stroll across the fields just before 10am for a spot more dace fishing on the gravel shallows where a backwater meets the main river. A bag, rod, pin and net accompanied me along with some reds from the fridge. I settled down in the middle of the stinging nettles and it didn’t take long to get them going with well over 30 dace and a couple of chub banked by 12 o’clock – then the heavens opened up. Efin Met office, wearing just a T shirt and Craghoppers it was a hasty retreat back over the fields to home.......................
sept6_stream_1.jpg

sept6_stream_2.jpg

theartist

Reaction score
Its been no secret that I've been addicted to the Severn this summer even though tripping up there is killing my bank balance but the fishing is just my cup of cold tea. Been lucky to have had some really good catches of chub and barbel on the float, but it was the roach which I was chasing now and have already had some bumper catches although I was knocking at the door of 2lb but falling short with 1.12s and 1.13s not that I was too bothered as these long Severn redfins don't half pull in the current

I finally got the first 'two' last week though

theartist-albums-my-gallery-2nd-attempt-picture4793-roach4.jpg

The thing was learning the river and adjusting tactics and there's nothing like the feeling that you have it nailed, I couldn't wait to get back there and tried a different area although the long walk meant passing loads of likely spots that were occupied. With a river like this a different day means a different beast each time and this trip the water was low, there were bright skies and the barbel weren't obliging anyone during the day. Kayaks were everywhere and i'd done well to get a couple of 3lb chub which I was happy with and a few roach over a pound when I got to a swim that just seemed screamed roach! What happened next was a reward for the hard yards with 4 fish for 8lbs with two just under and two more over the magic 2lb

theartist-albums-my-gallery-2nd-attempt-picture4790-cracking-roach-3-a.jpg

theartist-albums-my-gallery-2nd-attempt-picture4789-cracking-roach-2-a.jpg

Happy days

Last edited:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
What is the world coming to ? Brother Simon fishing for brim in one of my zander spots !
:eek:.

Funnily enough 2 zander were caught by 2 different anglers at Old Bury hill Sunday. Not sure what baits but I suspect either maggot, worm or pellet? They were caught from the first 2 pegs to the right of the shop/cafe...

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
SKip,

Really sorry, I tried to click like but it won't let me undo my totally unwanted choice. Please treat it as the like it was meant to be.

Phil

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Its been no secret that I've been addicted to the Severn this summer even though tripping up there is killing my bank balance but the fishing is just my cup of cold tea. Been lucky to have had some really good catches of chub and barbel on the float, but it was the roach which I was chasing now and have already had some bumper catches although I was knocking at the door of 2lb but falling short with 1.12s and 1.13s not that I was too bothered as these long Severn redfins don't half pull in the current

I finally got the first 'two' last week though

theartist-albums-my-gallery-2nd-attempt-picture4793-roach4.jpg

The thing was learning the river and adjusting tactics and there's nothing like the feeling that you have it nailed, I couldn't wait to get back there and tried a different area although the long walk meant passing loads of likely spots that were occupied. With a river like this a different day means a different beast each time and this trip the water was low, there were bright skies and the barbel weren't obliging anyone during the day. Kayaks were everywhere and i'd done well to get a couple of 3lb chub which I was happy with and a few roach over a pound when I got to a swim that just seemed screamed roach! What happened next was a reward for the hard yards with 4 fish for 8lbs with two just under and two more over the magic 2lb

theartist-albums-my-gallery-2nd-attempt-picture4790-cracking-roach-3-a.jpg

theartist-albums-my-gallery-2nd-attempt-picture4789-cracking-roach-2-a.jpg

Happy days

Well done Rob, you deserve it after all the time and effort spent on the Severn, and the expense of travelling. I reckon I know the spot but if it's where I think it is it's a bl00dy hell of a walk:)

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Funnily enough 2 zander were caught by 2 different anglers at Old Bury hill Sunday. Not sure what baits but I suspect either maggot, worm or pellet? They were caught from the first 2 pegs to the right of the shop/cafe...

Known zander holes those ones.....especially the one right next to the Boathouse which has produced some lumps in the past. Deepest part of the lake but not a swim I like because of the bloody punts banging about....but I have had some good fish from there though its somewhere I tend to avoid despite its form/history.

Front bank or higher up the Long Bank usually good for the brim. I reckon you were in the low 30's....34 ?

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Last of the Summer Wine?

Just as the Artist is addicted to the Severn, I find myself constantly drawn to Stonar lake in search of the beautiful Rudd that reside in great numbers.

With the days getting shorter and the nights drawing in time is against me in my quest for a two pound Rudd, the forecast was for a decent day before more rain and wind blight the rest of our week.

At the water by 6am and all was good, sunshine, a stillness, and good swims available as the carpers take a day off.

VqXGvzn.jpg

A promising start with six pristine Rudd caught within the first hour all hovering around the pound mark. They are a predicable species and normally disappear shortly after sunrise, today was no exception.

One of the joys of using a 6m whip is that I can almost in an instant change from a depth of 3ft to 20ft putting my bait on the deck where plenty of these are normally only to happy to snaffle my pellet.

dwmPcbZ.jpg

I know how much the FM members revere this species but personally I could well do without them, however using light line on a whip, they do give good sport from the depths and test the whip to its max.

o0Amp9t.jpg

From this point on not a single further Rudd for the remainder of the day. Does this signal the end of Summer? The bream continued to oblige and two thought they were Salmon leaping out of the water with an unexpected grace, 18 in total, not a good day but not a bad one either.

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
Looks a nice setting! I must take a look at a whip sometime but I have no concept at all on how to use one!

Keep an eye on Ralph will you; cold tea, no corn and life jackets!!!;)

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Looks a nice setting! I must take a look at a whip sometime but I have no concept at all on how to use one!

Keep an eye on Ralph will you; cold tea, no corn and life jackets!!!;)

I most probably have got more pleasure from whip fishing than any other method so far, The simplicity and ease of setup suits my lazy nature, I do tend to use it in a less than conventional manner, a 4lb carp caught on the flick tip with a 2lb hooklength has been the biggest challenge thus far, can only be a matter of time before I hear an almighty crack.:eek:mg:

Keeping any eye on Ralph is altogether a greater challenge.:)

john step

Reaction score
One of those days. I went after perch on roach livebaits. I had 4 up to 2lb 8ozs. ( see perch challenge).
The strange thing was that the eels were going mad for livebait. I landed two which although I didn't weigh were goodly two pounders. I must have had about a dozen runs without connecting until I got those two out by reducing bait size.
I think they are getting ready for winter.
37YjEJA.jpg