How did you get on?

rubio

Reaction score
Went to club pond yesterday taking some mixed pellets as bait. I planned to overcome my notion that fish don't eat them. I know they do of course, even when they haven't been seen before. I know others catch plenty on hard pellet. I don't do so badly at times on expanders but just can't get regular bites on banded pellet. Most obvious reason is that I'm doing summat wrong.
Whatever it is still holds true. After a bit of feed went in plenty of fish showing interest and eventually a bite or two and even a couple of small perch caught. Another hour and lots of bubbling and a few roach added to my catch.
After the third hour my resolve broke and some spam was opened. I used meat punch in various sizes and trimmed the cylinders with scissors to about the size of pellets I'd been feeding. 6mm proved the favourite tempting a run of decent crucian around pound mark. Perch and roach picked up the meat too, but NO BREAM!
Ended the session playing a big lump for 20 mins or so before it found the lillies. With 1.5 bottom it was always a bit hopeful to land what I suspected was one of the crass carp. Lumbering and heavy on the line without tearing off like a hoon.

rubio

Reaction score
Indeed so sir. Tho I do try to avoid them mostly so the 'Freudian' observation may have some verity.

nottskev

Reaction score
Well, today's session started on Wednesday, in a way. After a bit of rain, I thought I'd fish the Trent for bream on the tip, and it was going well, with skimmers up to 1lb every cast, but a huge pike installed itself just over the shelf and launched itself at all the bigger fish. After taking a few off the hook, it got itself hooked. I played it to a standstill and it simply sat in the edge, laughed at my landing net and strolled off when it got its breath back. There seem to be a few pike in every swim on the river, and I'd had enough of them, so today I went back to the tench lake for the first time since Mike came down early in July. Why not fish for tench? It's only September.

I avoid places with lengthy rules on the board, so this place gets my day-ticket money

tl3.jpg

And once the 8 am downpour stopped it looked pretty in the autumn sun

tl1.jpg

Earlier in the year, the big shoals of small to medium size tench guzzle up corn, meat and seafood, but it wasn't like that today, and the anglers fishing that type of bait were reporting that it was “dead”. With a steep drop to 7' about 5m out, it's ideal for a long rod and pin, so I fished like that, feeding one spot with a few micro-pellets and maggots, and another with small amounts of hemp and caster. That eventually got plenty of bites, but even with a dotted float they were of the “I think that was a bite” type, and I missed a fair few. I think.

Some of the roach were a tidy size

tl2.jpg

And a few bream got in on the act in the caster-fed swim, the first I'd seen from this lake.

tl5.jpg

A grebe was teaching two youngsters to fish, a heron was fishing to my left, and, when I looked round to see what the unusual noises were, the entire pack of hounds from a local hunt were quietly observing me.
All in all, a lovely morning's fishing, a change from the river, and a rest from the pike.

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Need more lakes with signs like that Kev.:thumbs:

flightliner

Reaction score
I had a change today, a rest from a water thats turned from hard to downright first degree frustrating.
A left turn towards Sheffield instead of the usual easterly one towards Lincoln way?
An afternoons urban quest for a few greyling or ten with maybe a trout thrown in for good measure would be a refreshing change .
A few maggots, bits n bats, smock, rod n landing net and I was walking some three or four hundred yards from the town hall heading for a nice glide that fishes well in the colder months.
It was so differant with the rivers edge still in in its summer outfit that hid many of the scars left by industrial scarring , it was warm too.
First run down amongst a few free offerings gave me my first greyling, the days best of some twelve ounce or so-- a fiesty one too that gave its all in the pacey glide.
one more then I was off wading down to the next little piece of water that looked interesting for another fish.
It went on like that for two and a half hours when I took eight lovely greyling and lost about five as well as missing numerous lightning fast bites that defied my far slower attempts at hooking them, greyling are something else entirely in the fast bites leaugue's.
Nearly four o-clock and I packed away in order to avoid the rush hour, not nice.
A really nice change, enjoyable.Possibly the best free fishing in the entire region for greyling, with salmon making an ever increasing showing on the river it may not be to long before this little gem will be out of bounds.
Hope not!

sam vimes

Reaction score
Nice slug of extra water in the river today, so I took the opportunity to do a little more than scratch about for a few dace amongst the minnows. Fished a swim that's been full of minnows and about eighteen inches deep for most of the summer. Today it was 2.5-3' and still full of minnows. However, between the minnows I managed 18 dace, 5 grayling, 2 decent trout and a salmon parr.
Somewhere in the order of fifteen pounds for the lot.

Reaction score
Well, today's session started on Wednesday, in a way. After a bit of rain, I thought I'd fish the Trent for bream on the tip, and it was going well, with skimmers up to 1lb every cast, but a huge pike installed itself just over the shelf and launched itself at all the bigger fish. After taking a few off the hook, it got itself hooked. I played it to a standstill and it simply sat in the edge, laughed at my landing net and strolled off when it got its breath back. There seems to be a few pike in every swim on the river, and I'd had enough of them, so today I went back to the tench lake for the first time since Mike came down early in July. Why not fish for tench? It's only September.

I avoid places with lengthy rules on the board, so this place gets my day-ticket money

tl3.jpg

And once the 8 am downpour stopped it looked pretty in the autumn sun

tl1.jpg

Earlier in the year, the big shoals of small to medium size tench guzzle up corn, meat and seafood, but it wasn't like that today, and the anglers fishing that type of bait were reporting that it was “dead”. With a steep drop to 7' about 5m out, it's ideal for a long rod and pin, so I fished like that, feeding one spot with a few micro-pellets and maggots, and another with small amounts of hemp and caster. That eventually got plenty of bites, but even with a dotted float they were of the “I think that was a bite” type, and I missed a fair few. I think.

Some of the roach were a tidy size

tl2.jpg

And a few bream got in on the act in the caster-fed swim, the first I'd seen from this lake.

tl5.jpg

A grebe was teaching two youngsters to fish, a heron was fishing to my left, and, when I looked round to see what the unusual noises were, the entire pack of hounds from a local hunt were quietly observing me.
All in all, a lovely morning's fishing, a change from the river, and a rest from the pike.

What a lovely day on what looks like a good bit of water,wish I knew of one like that nearish to me.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Just been reading the Morning all thread and must have got lucky to wake up to some very pleasant sunshine, with that in mind a last minute decision to spend a few hours fishing was made.

My recent trips have been to the large and deep pit called Stonar where I've enjoyed catching Rudd on the whip but today I fancied a change and headed for my local estate lake, small and shallow by comparison.

The first surprise was to find a fellow member already fishing as I arrived, infact by the time I packed up there were four of us, a record me thinks. Been a few weeks since I've visited the estate, with plentiful rain over the past weeks it still looked very lush and green.
g8UBVfP.jpg

Although there were signs that Summer is about to merge into Autumn with shades of orange appearing.
7HU2x4r.jpg

Fancied catching some tench today so the match rod and reel were dusted off and it wasn't too long before the float slid away, the heart always sinks a little when you instantly know it's one of these.
dMkiF7o.jpg

At least the bream I've been catching on Stonar have some fight but in this estate lake they are whimps and after a further six with no sign of a tinca I went back to the car and got my whip out which now resides in the car permanently and returned to the swim for a final hour which produced some small but fine roach.
TWfzn1A.jpg

Packed up by 2-30pm, wanted to be home in time to watch both Chris Froome create a bit of history and also see my team Chelsea playing away to Leicester, the day turned out rather well.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Another three hours on a river that's now got no more than six inches of extra water. It was a little bit more scratchy than yesterday, but I struggled to end up with nine dace, four grayling, two trout and a salmon parr amongst a host of minnows. Might have scraped ten pounds in total, mainly due to one of the brownies being the best part of three pounds.

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Evening all .

Went for a short session on my loacl canal today started catching ok nothing big ( i am glad to say ) then i had the line break and off goes my float down the cut with fish giving it hell trying to dump it so tugged the line a bit to check it bang snap and again so i pulled about 10 meters of and tried again slight pull bang snapped as i had only taken the rod a couple of floats no spare reel i was stumped so pack up head home .

Stripped the line off the reel at home the entire lenght of it had gone brittle so off it came and replaced with some Sensor see how that goes tomorow , this was only 3 lb line but it still snapped at under 1lb pull .

Worst part was it was a new float cost me £1.65 that did i aint tight BUT ...Grrrrr ...

PG ...

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Club match today on the GUC near Tring. Sunny to start with then cloudy and very windy. Luckily I sat on a sheltered bend and the wind didn't affect me at all.
Some strange folk about as we set up...

image.jpg

Drew the " Dutch barge" peg for the first time in ages, usually a flyer but not so hot today..

image.jpg

image.jpg

Wagg and magg across to the barge and bites were plentiful but mainly gudgeon and small perch. This peg is usually good for for a few skimmers but not today.
I think it got quite chilly last night out here in the sticks, well that's my excuse anyway...

3lb:4 was all I could muster after 5 hours, I did lose a lump and missed the keepnet a few times too:eek:mg:

image.jpg

skov

Reaction score
I went to my gravel pit yesterday evening for what I suspect will be my last overnighter of the year. There's a definite change in the air, and it's starting to get a bit too chilly to be sleeping under a brolly!

I caught one small eel during the night, but the tench and carp were as elusive as ever.
I woke up at first light and decided to try out a slightly used Drennan Tench and Specimen float rod that I picked up for £50 last week. I almost didn't buy it, but glad I did now, as it's a peach of a rod!
Anyway, as I was sat huddled under my bed chair cover thinking it's more like predator than tench weather, my float bobbed, then disappeared, and I struck into the head-banging fight of an angry perch. I had another 5 or 6 in quick succession after that, none of them very big, but all shiny, pristine, and very welcome. Particularly as legend has it there are no small fish in there.

MfibRoCzHM8NM7mQY4Jmk8nxcrTKSrxluGAJpvSPj7YOTn1ZUZQw6eh_5V1GdBVPaopc238ag_1xsthsm1JIBWYZAiiWKHPUyXLdDbKjkq0ecLbJHsHW8g-XtdGzONjYdGCgAWPJezk

I decided to reel in after the bites stopped to see if my hook was still baited. I confirmed it was when a pike snaffled my worm on the way in!
It then proceeded to run in circles round my swim for a couple of minutes before leaping into the air, doing a tail-walk, then biting me off :D

Not a lot happened after that, other than me deciding to pack the tench and carp gear away when I got home. Really looking forward to pike season now, but I think I might enjoy a session or two with the perch bobber in the meantime!

sam vimes

Reaction score
Pushed my luck for the third afternoon on the trot. Truth be told, I only went because the forecast for the next few days is rather breezy. Six dace, a grayling and a trout rather suggests that I probably should have stayed at home. As usual, the minnows weren't shy. Some of the biggest I've seen in quite a few years.

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Was contemplating the Severn today but put off by the low levels (and not waking until 7.00 am :eek:mg:) so opted for a second consecutive session on the Salwarpe. Last week's was only saved by a perch of 1.3lb in amongst six bits of chublet, rudd, perch and dace so decided to try some new swims. Off to a flyer, one cast, no bites and discovered there was a wasp nest under my feet:eek: time for a short sharp exit :wh Next peg looked promising, a decent trot on the edges of the trees on the far, well not very far, bank only downside were the wall to wall nettles which got me every time I reached for, flask, landing net, tackle box etc etc etc :rolleyes: Couldn't buy a bite on maggot, bread or corn last week but decided that I would give them another go today (last week's remnants) and keep the worms as back-up if it got desperate. Anyone who's read my previous posts on the Salwarpe knows a landing net is not always an essential piece of tackle, ended up using it four times today which I think is a first, perch of around the pound mark and three chub over the 2lb mark, best coming in at 2.14, 2oz short of my 3lb target for the season :( I'll give him a month or so to put some weight on :)) Apart from two small perch everything was caught on last week's maggot, if someone would like to explain that, I'd be grateful :confused:

Finished with eight chub, thirteen perch and a solitary dace, hopefully the Severn or Avon will be a little higher next week.

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Fished the club pool today late start did n ot get rod setup untill 12:00 due to other things needing attention pre fishing .

Went with the intention of landing a few of the Chubb in the poolans got it right first couple of fish were small roach but then 3 nice chubb of around 3-3.5lbs each then a few more roach but i was happy i got what i went for .

On a slightly less nice note i had been noiticing an soapy gully type smell for some time then had a look at the inflow to the pool it seems some smuck has connected a dang washing macnine waste to the pipe that carries our water feed into the pool big problem with this is we only know the route of a very short section of the pipe and no one else seems to know it source either or which way the pipe goes once it leaves it last known part of the route .

PG ...