How did you get on?

Reaction score
Went yesterday to try for the big roach on a local lake(had two 2's a few weeks ago)on the slider and pellet,well it was a struggle,waiting three hours for a bite,then the frustration of missing one after another,I tried many variations,depth,shotting,feed patterns etc to no avail,then I caught a small roach of 4ozs,I ended up with around ten roach,two skimmers,the best thing was one of the roach weighed 2-6 and beat my PB by an ounce:).

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
^^^^ I did ask two young boys who paddled past in an inflatable, their response......."can't be @rsed" I did compliment their honesty.:)
I know that river s63, took an inflatable from Wye once and paddled downstream but never quite got as far as Canterbury, I wasn't fishing but it was all private fishing anyway but never thought there would be carp, wrong sort of water usually, spotted a few chub on the way though. Fished it down from Canterbury often enough many years ago, Grove Ferry, Plucks Gutter and Sandwich (tidal, free fishing), not great fishing but had its days, Sandwich gave me some good bream and roach on occasion and once a nice mullet.

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Accepted an invite down to some friends who have a touring 'van sited by a tributary of the Severn down in Tewksbury yesterday. This "river" is barely 6'0 wide at best and was high at around 3'0 deep but having been told there were plenty of fish and only the occasional angler, decided it would be a pleasant change. Fished 11'6 float and pin with a small alloy stick to a 2lb to 20 hooklength using a mix of castor and red maggot.

One of the most enjoyable sessions I have had in ages, with around fifty fish in total, chub to around the pound, a couple of rudd and dace a plenty, with half a dozen around the 4-6oz mark each of which was a PB. I'm adding a pound dace to my bucket list! The site is closed over the winter period so there may not be an opportunity to try for the perch and pike which I'm assured are present, but if asked, I won't leave it as long to visit again.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I know that river s63, took an inflatable from Wye once and paddled downstream but never quite got as far as Canterbury, I wasn't fishing but it was all private fishing anyway but never thought there would be carp, wrong sort of water usually, spotted a few chub on the way though. Fished it down from Canterbury often enough many years ago, Grove Ferry, Plucks Gutter and Sandwich (tidal, free fishing), not great fishing but had its days, Sandwich gave me some good bream and roach on occasion and once a nice mullet.

It was part of our chat yesterday how carp and some of double figures survive so healthily in this gin clear and very low water.

Further downstream towards Sandwich, stock has been decimated by seals, they seem particularly partial to carp and decent size chub.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
It was part of our chat yesterday how carp and some of double figures survive so healthily in this gin clear and very low water.

Further downstream towards Sandwich, stock has been decimated by seals, they seem particularly partial to carp and decent size chub.

Well I never, you learn something every day, never saw seals there back in the day, or come to that in Sandwich Bay which I used to fish, quite a narrow river as well, must be getting hungry because of shortages in the sea. Whatever next.

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well I never, you learn something every day, never saw seals there back in the day, or come to that in Sandwich Bay which I used to fish, quite a narrow river as well, must be getting hungry because of shortages in the sea. Whatever next.

They've been spotted as far up as Grove Ferry! What with otters and cormorants and those that fish to the table it's amazing there is any stock left.

River Stour seal takes time out for a bite to eat

Last edited:

puffer_

Reaction score
I woke up feeling like I had a score to settle (see earlier post).

I grabbed a suitable rod and set up a wire trace with a single hook on the end, and grabbed a reel that had 30lb braid on it!

Went down the canal, threw a huge bunch of worms on the hook, then waited for the monster to bite, knowing full well that I wouldn't be catching anything else on that set up, but well prepared to blank.

One small, very greedy perch, but not a sign of the snapper! Still think it's a large zander. There have been some large pike caught there, but I don't think it'd take worms as readily as this does.

Most passers-by must have thought me crazy, sat by the canal with gear I could land a 40lb pike on.

I will catch it. Watch this space!

sam vimes

Reaction score
An afternoon for observing that things have moved on. It's definitely autumn, the swallows and housemartins were notable by their absence this afternoon and they seem to have taken the dace with them. Sadly, they didn't take the minnows.

Four hours of fishing in a couple of swims gave me six grayling, six salmon parr, one brownie and one lonely looking dace that was no bigger than one of the better of the horde of bloody minnows.

The Runner

Reaction score
Fished club match at New Farm Fishery near Maidenhead. The place had been good to me so far with three wins and a 4th in four visits so pretty confident with my approach which has been based around maggot at about 5-6m to start and gradually switching to across and/or down the side as the day goes on, expecting to feed 3 pints or a bit more over the six hour match.
Still had three and a half pints with me today but reckoned that with a couple of cooler nights might not be feeding as much as usual.
Anyway, drew Peg 1 on what's generally the better bank opposite the corner of the island. Dead bush in the water across and just to my left, 14m to reach that and 16 to get tight over, so set up a little method feeder in case needed to fish up the ratholes as a Preston Diatex Power isn't much fun at 16m for any length of time. Hopefully wouldn't need to go right over, plumbed up and 2ft right in the side next to some reeds to my left deepening to getting on for 6ft at 6m. Usual 4 topkits here, two white hydro, 2 black, one of each to depth and one each for shallow/ down the edge.
Started at 6m slightly left and had a carp about a pound as soon as the float settled, Brian on 21 had two very quickly in two chucks on a little method tight across just round the corner of the island from me so looked like a good start. Nope....Plague of little rudd, about 20 to the pound, moved in. After a dozen of these switched to a 4x14 float with bulk down but all that happened was that it got held up every time and usually missed the bite. Had been feeding across and down the side as well, went over to 14m for a 4oz skimmer straightaway, then nothing, very early for a look on the inside but did anyway and the rudd were there as well, same size apart from one about 3oz. Back out to 6m , tinies had slowed a bit but no better fish, a couple more small skimmers on the deck and an ide, going shallow didn't get the rudd in any numbers so 2 hours gone and lucky to have 3 lb. Matt on 2 had gone for a chopped worm and caster approach and after a very slow start began picking up tench with the odd carp, mostly 12oz to pound fish and then one of the lakes proper bream at around 6lb. I started getting some better rudd by increasing the feed so persevered with the maggot as sure the rudd activity would eventually pull in some bigger fish. Half time and reckoned I might have around 5lb but Matt probably at least 15 so finally decided to start a chopped worm line another metre out and straight in front and to bin the maggot at 6m but increase the feed inside and over. Slow start on the chop with just a 6 oz skimmer, nothing across but some more half reasonable rudd down the side, Matt had slowed down a bit but saw Richard on 5 net a couple of larger carp. Chopped and changed between lines not making any real inroads into anything other than the rudd, and not enough of these until with less than an hour and a half to go had just gone out over another pot of chop and the elastic came out properly, pound barbel and the lone carp finally had some company in the bigger fish net. Next three drops resulted in a tench , a carp and a pound goldfish which looked like a belisha beacon with a mouth. Bites dried up as quickly as they started, down the side for an immediate carp followed by a tench and another barbel, then nothing, refed worm at 6m for two more little carp. Still feeding across and some swirls now appearing. Looked like rudd but went over shallow just in case they weren't; they were, better fish of 3 to 4oz but they soon disappeared when fished for so back at 6m, one more carp immediately but nothing more. So down the edge for the last ten minutes, biggest carp of the day at about 2lb and a smaller tench.
Scales reached me, only a 7lb and a 9 12 from 20 and 21, my silvers net went more than I thought at 11-2, carp, barbel, tench (and the goldfish) went 14 4 so 25-6 and more than it looked like I was going to get at one time. Matt had 26-12 so quite close in the end. Richard on 5 won it with 34 14, a dozen or so carp and about 9lb of rudd and skimmers, no other weights beat me so crept into third place.
Feel I should have fed chop earlier although having said that it was a good while before it got any response. Definitely regret with hindsight not setting up a waggler as could have got the rudd a lot more quickly when they were there although doubt it would have been enough to win.

jimlad

Reaction score
Fished the tees for a couple hours tonight, in search of the elusive tees 6lber that has evaded me for a long time.

And I got it! 6lb 10oz, a new pb by 1oz

IMG_7323.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

puffer_

Reaction score
Fished the tees for a couple hours tonight, in search of the elusive tees 6lber that has evaded me for a long time.

IMG_7323.jpg

Wow, stunning fish mate, well done!

neil1970

Reaction score
Bit of a late report, from 2 fridays ago.
I managed to pop out for a quick dusk session and got a quick lure caught treble as the light was failing. All fish came to a 2" white kopyoto lure :)

mikench

Reaction score
Cracking fish Neil and for the perch the expression " eyes bigger than your belly" spring to mind!;)

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A schoolboy error and not so good morning.

Took my Skoda in for a service this morning which just happens to be a short distance from the river, so a short stalking rod, reel and bag were unloaded at the dealership and off to the river.

On another mission, want to find and hopefully one day catch one of the carp that are present along the free stretch. Walked up and down the length but no sign but I couldn't resist an area where the chub group up in numbers. Only problem being the bank is heavily covered in nettles and bramble waist high. No problem I thought, I can cast above the vegetation and if I should hook a fish walk 10 metres downstream to where I could safely land it. First cast and a sizeable fish takes the ball of cheesepaste, well hooked but it headed for the near bank, no, no, no! With arm aloft trying to give my seven foot rod extra height I attempted to bully it downstream a few yards to my waiting net but in the process the line became snared in the bramble and wouldn't release. The fish is now frantically making a right old commotion trying to free itself.

Th only way to release the fish was to wade into the river but at this point it's quite deep with dodgy banks, I certainly wasn't up to the task. After several minutes of yanking at the line I gave up and had no option but to cut it and hope the fish would swim off to throw the hook at some stage but to my dismay it was snagged there.

I trudged off feeling really awful, I fished a few more spots but my heart wasn't in it thinking of that snared fish.

I walked back past the scene half an hour later and to my amazement the fish had freed itself and was back in the shoal with lacerations along its flank, I felt better and can only hope it heals to fight another day.......sorry Mr.Chub.

Won't be using that particular rod again, I'm sure an 11footer or more wouldn't have been an issue, lesson learnt.

The car was all good with no advisories and nothing to pay, the day is improving.

Last edited:

flightliner

Reaction score

IMG_7323.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Belter is that Jimlad , another new hat maybe ? :)

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
S63, I have read your post twice and after careful consideration I concluded that a Crabtree bad angling award is justly deserved...:eek:mg:

lakhyaman

Reaction score
Our House of Parliament was designed by the famous Architect Louis Kahn as a modern expression of an ancient castle surrounded by its ruined village. If you are a student of architecture it is a must see, required study in every school of the subject. The "village", incidentally, houses the secretariat. Like all castles it comes complete with a moat, or at least a modernist version thereof!

149_zpsfmhh19re.jpg

208_zps0wqhnfdr.jpg

153_zpswsdg2ysa.jpg

154_zpsk06w4h9z.jpg

210_zpsqchqwmfy.jpg

The speaker, it is, who holds sway over this water which is stocked and maintained by the Government's Department of Fisheries.

When parliament is not in session she, for the speaker is a she, allows the Department to issue a limited number of daytickets on weekends only for the exorbitant sum of thirty pounds sterling in Bangladeshi takas. There are plenty of small fish , but over the years some have grown to enormous sizes. It was the hope of latching on to one of these that drew me and a couple of friends to wangle a seat.

We turned up to find that the speaker, in her most merciful mode had decreed no fishing that day except from just two pegs, both of which we held the tickets for. No bad thing.

I set up with my impersonation of a carp angler and flung out two method feeders.

213_zpscxv2ybca.jpg

One was loaded with besan (chickpea flour) wetted with liquid krill (imported by me in a fit of extravagance) and baited with a bread paste ball, laced with ant's eggs, conkered onto one of Laguna's large bait stops opened out in the form of a cross. The other had an oatmeal based American pack bait and was baited with hair rigged sweetcorn.

The result was a blank!

Fortunately while the traps fished on their own, my companions and I float legered bread and ants egg paste at some 60 yards (Bangladeshis use a clip on float which allows them to float ledger as far out as they can chuck the bait). I caught one tiny catla (Catla catla) while the others put together a small mixed bag of Catlas, Rohus (Labeo rohita)and Mrigal (Cirhinnus mrigala).

214_zpsu44pl366.jpg

I released my little one. The others took their fish home, which explains the high price of tickets.

The leviathans were conspicuous by their absence.

It is not a bad place for some exclusive urban angling amongst some imposing architecture in a city heaving with some 20 million souls!

All the best

Lakhyaman