How did you get on?

flightliner

Reaction score
Hi Rubio, never done the pole but often use feeder gear much lower downstream in the winter months, always my second choice but still enjoyable on the day, more effective when the river as xtra water on or colour dining off.

barbelboi

Reaction score
As it was such a good sunny day I decided for another break from the river for a hike over to the woodland pond for some more crues while the weather is still favourable. I fished tight to the marginal growth again and only managed 5 crues this time (they were very, very finicky and bumping off a few on the lift probably didn’t help). However, the roach were up for it this time and took the best part of 20 to keep things going – also the obligatory few ferals.

Bait again was a couple of slices of best of both worlds punched flake fished over depth over a bed of hemp. Fished from 10am – 2.30pm..
woodpond1.jpg

cruepond1.jpg

cruepond2.jpg

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
^^^^^* can the dislike button pass for the envy button? Is there any better way to spend the day?

mikench

Reaction score
Managed to grab a few hours on the large Mere with my carp rod and a float rod! Nothing at all on the latter but 2 mirror carp around 14lb on the carp rod so not a complete waste of time. The jury is out on the carp rod( Chub 2.25tc small lake rod) as I think I prefer the feel and action of my feeder rods and barbel rod!

At least it was warm, dry and sunny; shirt sleeve weather in fact!:) My catapulting is improving at least!:rolleyes:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Not feeling particularly energetic today after lunch but it was the last of the warm settled weather. I had to get out but where?

There's a pound on the canal 5mins from home where it's possible to park right by the towpath so no trolley etc needed. Never caught much here in the past, I usually use it for tying pole rigs and shotting them up to store on winders.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Whilst tying rigs here last week it was quite deep close in and very coloured, probably due to the close proximity of a lock. It was the same today so I set up a top3 with a no4 to plug in, enough to fish tight down the near shelf.
Started at 2pm in bright sunlight with a very fine punch/squatt rig with punch on a 20b611, bleak after bleak on the drop was novel at first but became slightly frustrating after a while. Then it was gudgeon and minute chublets, they were perfect chub in miniature with attitude to boot...
As the light faded a decent perch took a liking to punch and gave my elastic an airing, then a feisty roach.
Between 5 and 7pm I changed to maggot laying on over the shelf and pinging casters, the big perch I wanted wasn't around but there were fry leaping out all over the canal so there must be a whopper or two in there somewhere?

image.jpg

sam vimes

Reaction score
Fished a local club pond because an overnight monsoon left the river FUBAR.
However, you may as well pretend this is one of my river reports. Just substitute gudgeon for minnows, perch for dace and roach for grayling. Unfortunately, the big trout or rare rogue chub equivalents didn't turn up.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Wasn't worth it really for two hours but I fished from 4pm to 6pm today and used a leger rod for a change from the trotting gear :eek::eek:mg:. The river was up about a meter and a half and very coloured but it didn't put the barbelly ones off, I had seven fish. Winding them in with a baitrunner reel strapped to a 1.75 test rod wasn't anything like the fun I get out of playing them in on my match style rods and centrepin reel but it was better than nowt and trotting was out of the question in the conditions.
I don't normally post pic's of the waters but I know no one would ever recognise this :).

mikench

Reaction score
I do ! You were way down upon the Swanee River far far away!:rolleyes:

I'll get me coat! Al Jolson song by the way!:)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I do ! You were way down upon the Swanee River far far away!:rolleyes:

I'll get me coat! Al Jolson song by the way!:)

Funny you should say that Mike, I had a Trumpeter swan hassling me for grub whilst on the swanee. It was a smart looking bird and came up the bank and stood next to my chair begging like a dog...so as I ate a salted cashew nut I gave it a 10 mill pellet out of my other hand. I grabbed hold of it with the intentions of pulling a few feathers but decided i'd probably never use 'em anyhow. Then I thought about taking it home to keep as a pet but luckily I came to my senses and I realised I had too many effin pets as it is and let it go. It actually tried waggling after me when I left and I felt a bit naff leaving it, it had become good pal in a short time :D.

mikench

Reaction score
remember swans belong to the Queen and she thinks highly of you!:rolleyes:

I can just imagine you with a pet swan but what would the parrots think?;)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
remember swans belong to the Queen and she thinks highly of you!:rolleyes:

I can just imagine you with a pet swan but what would the parrots think?;)

She doesn't own swamp swans/hooper swans, it's the Mute swans she's claimed :rolleyes:.

Don't know about the parrots but i'm sure the bulllterriers would think i'd brought them a fancy chicken dinner home :D.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Today was about doing a reccy. Few miles downstream of my usual urban stretch of the Stour lies the Grove Ferry section. I did fish it once this Summer but was plagued by canoeists, today the canoe hut was closed and all was serene and peaceful. This section is controlled by the CDAA and as of Sunday members are allowed to fish from the jettys between the boats on the far bank.

aXhEnai.jpg

Hoping to find some perch amongst the boats and will try my hand at some drop shotting. Today I took with me a lure rod that I'd used for the first time yesterday without success in the pool at Canterbury. Broke my duck today and caught my first fish on a lure, not huge but bigger than the lure! During my wander along the banks I had a couple more of about the same size.

zTlKWKp.jpg

Caught on a 2inch relax shad (inspiration provided by Neil1970)

Back to the car and headed a further two miles downstream to the wonderfully named Plucks Gutter, another stretch controlled by the club although there is free fishing to be had on one bank.

kjPqgK7.jpg

The rain started to come down, didn't bother this member who had a natural umbrella above him, a swim I should like to visit over the coming months.

RSMEUaa.jpg

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
I had planned to visit my parents today but Dad was concerned about the weather and as he still regards me as his little boy , he said not to come today!;)

It rained all morning but stopped at around 12.00 so I sneaked out and had a few hours on my closest and favourite venue( Nottskev knows the one!!)

I took my feeder rod ( thanks to Tigger) and first cast resulted in a 13lb common on corn and a method feeder. That was it , I was content no matter what happened or did not happen later on!;) 4 more carp plus 5 skimmers followed and despite the downpour I felt the quick session was well worthwhile ! A chap I knew packed up during a downpour and gave me a few prawns and mussels to have a go for perch! I simply attached a prawn to a hair rig on an elasticated bomb and had a go!:rolleyes: The result was just one perch but what a perch! It weighed around 2lb and came just as the heavens opened again and I got soaked landing it. No pics I'm afraid as my phone was devoid of life!;)

A very satisfactory few hours which I hadnt expected! I just might go again tomorrow!!:rolleyes:

I have a short unused spinning rod and some drop shot lures and weights so plan to have a go . I also have some small lures so predator fishing it shall be very soon!!

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I had planned to visit my parents today but Dad was concerned about the weather and as he still regards me as his little boy , he said not to come today!;)

It rained all morning but stopped at around 12.00 so I sneaked out and had a few hours on my closest and favourite venue( Nottskev knows the one!!)

I took my feeder rod ( thanks to Tigger) and first cast resulted in a 13lb common on corn and a method feeder. That was it , I was content no matter what happened or did not happen later on!;) 4 more carp plus 5 skimmers followed and despite the downpour I felt the quick session was well worthwhile ! A chap I knew packed up during a downpour and gave me a few prawns and mussels to have a go for perch! I simply attached a prawn to a hair rig on an elasticated bomb and had a go!:rolleyes: The result was just one perch but what a perch! It weighed around 2lb and came just as the heavens opened again and I got soaked landing it. No pics I'm afraid as my phone was devoid of life!;)

A very satisfactory few hours which I hadnt expected! I just might go again tomorrow!!:rolleyes:

I have a short unused spinning rod and some drop shot lures and weights so plan to have a go . I also have some small lures so predator fishing it shall be very soon!!

What a great session you had today Mike:rolleyes:, well done bud :D.

mikench

Reaction score
Thanks Ian! I may be useless at trotting but not too bad at still water fishing with a feeder rod! The Hardy feeder is brilliant and a joy to use! I am so glad I bought it thanks to your recommendation. I like the rod ,it's bag and the rod tube which protects it!:)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks Ian! I may be useless at trotting but not too bad at still water fishing with a feeder rod! The Hardy feeder is brilliant and a joy to use! I am so glad I bought it thanks to your recommendation. I like the rod ,it's bag and the rod tube which protects it!:)

Who said your useless at trotting! Your brand new to it, it takes a little practice before you get to grips with it ;).
I think that little rod has good luck in it's carbon :cool:....I should have got it myself, I could do with some luck :w.

I had a ride over to the river today again...half three till half five. It was running a little lower than yesterday but rising quite fast. The weather report said no rain for the latter half of the day but as usual it was wrong and it persisted down intermittently through my session so I was glad i'd taken my brolly. I didn't have as productive a session as yesterday and had to make do with just one fish, but it was a decent one. It had the top half of it's tail chomped off but it was growing back ok, possibly an otter attack. I've had a few with their tails like that this year, even the one in the pic from yesterday!
My new friend came floating down the swanny river, spotted me (i'm sure it's face lit up when it saw me) and came over to say hello :cool:....

Last edited:

steve2

Reaction score
It's only the swans on parts of the Thames and it’s tributaries that the Queen still as ownership of. That is only Mute swans so we can eat the rest.