How did you get on?

neil1970

Reaction score
I fished from 2 til 5.15pm today, same swim as last week & same method, but different bait (baitech 'barbel buster' pellets).

Not a touch, but still a pleasant session.

B

binka

I drew a blank on a local day ticket lake today.

I roved with a light waggler set up and a tiny, lip hooked roach deadbait which was repeatedly cast and witched back at varying speeds but no big perch I'm afraid.

Didn't really feel on the ball to be honest and was gone for midday after giving it a good five hours.

neil1970

Reaction score
Two hours today and two jacks to show for it.

One on a 4" SG 4play dirty roach, with 14grm jighead, the other on a 4" kopyto relax shad, with 15 grm jighead.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Another go at the BH zander on Friday. Barometer falling,warming up,bit of rain......all good indicators. Unfortunately there was also a very big full moon and the cloud cleared so a brief feeding spell as the light faded and then somebody flicked the damned switch.

Simultaneous runs again....one converted,one not. One other proper run and a couple of pick up and drops. Two fish landed....best around the 6lb mark. Softening the rods seems to have helped and so far my minor rig tinkerings have certainly not done any harm but its early yet.

Have swopped Manflu for the Mother of all colds but being a typical bloke (according to Mrs S) didn't have any tissues with me. I had 3 knives,2 screwdrivers,assorted sharp metal spikes and a rubber mallet but no tissues. I suppose she has a point.

Blowing your nose on a petrol station receipt is not a spectator sport I can tell you.....bit like bream fishing. Deeply unpleasant and very unsatisfying !

greenie62

Reaction score
Have swopped Manflu for the Mother of all colds but being a typical bloke (according to Mrs S) didn't have any tissues with me. I had 3 knives,2 screwdrivers,assorted sharp metal spikes and a rubber mallet but no tissues. I suppose she has a point.

Blowing your nose on a petrol station receipt is not a spectator sport I can tell you.....bit like bream fishing. Deeply unpleasant and very unsatisfying !

If you had been bream-fishing - at least you would have had a towel with you for all that snot! ;):rolleyes::eek:mg:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
---------- Post added at 09:24 ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 ----------

[/COLOR]
If you had been bream-fishing - at least you would have had a towel with you for all that snot! ;):rolleyes::eek:mg:
Where does it all come from ? I must have one hell of a snot gland because my head would have to be the size of a small car to hold the amount that poured out of me on Friday! Its still going but sets like concrete overnight so today I was awake at 3am gasping for air.

As usual no sympathy from Mrs S ......its my own stupid fault for going fishing apparently.The fact that I had it before I went is not relevant. I'm in for a challenging day it would seem !

Last edited:

jimlad

Reaction score
Met up with a mate this morning for a mornings piking on the river. The river was up a little, but nicely coloured and in general good nick. We both tried a number of swims with a variety of bait, I hooked and lost a chub on smelt, before the next swim produced a delicate take on lamprey. I hit into it and the fish tore off for the other side of the river, making me think it was a big fish. It soon gave up though, and this nice pike of 7lb 1oz was landed.

937AF1E4-5742-493C-BB7D-41E709FBF44E_zpsqh9fg4hv.jpg

The other lad lost a fish after having it on for ten seconds or so, and that was that. Not a bad morning, already looking forward to the next session!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nicepix

Reaction score
Had a few hours with lures on the small river Glane today. The river alternates between shallow, fast pocket water, deeper glides and mill pools.....

Started out in the glides chucking Mepps spinners and jelly lures under trees and upstream of fallen trees where perch should have been lurking. But not today. About a kilometer or so downstream is a porcelain factory where the river is much deeper so Roobs and I walked down to that area and I swapped the small lures for something a bit more substantial to see if I could tempt a zander....

But again, nobody at home. Tried tripping the bottom with jelly tail jig heads for the same result. Not even a nip or tug all session.

flightliner

Reaction score
Lovely NP, that could be the upper Derbyshire derwent (top pik) and a little further down near calver where it calms down a little.

nicepix

Reaction score
Lovely NP, that could be the upper Derbyshire derwent (top pik) and a little further down near calver where it calms down a little.

Yes, the whole area is very reminiscent of Derbyshire. The Calver stretch is on my mate Bill's book (Sheffield Waltonians I think from memory) and he used to let me have a day or two with him around this time of year. I had a DRAC book for further downstream at Darley Dale, opposite bank to the Waltonian stretch.

There are no grayling locally though. The Glane is a class 2 water, i.e. coarse fish. But in March I see a few anglers trying their luck for trout in the pocket water. I've had all sorts from gudgeon and ruffe to carp and b***m, but never seen a trout there.

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Five hours on the Salwarpe, trotted maggot, castor, worm and bread, all with the same result, nowt! River was at least 2'0 up, very coloured and flowing through at a rate of knots. Hopefully got the blank out the way before next Sunday :wh;)

tilly05

Reaction score
I had a wonder out for a couple of hours didn't catch but got me out of the house and onto a new stretch

Resident Don Walker nicepix will recognise, down the end of clay wheels.
Took krill pellets and some plain, banded pellet and pva sticks.. Had a couple of twitchs on the line but nothing enough to move the tip.
Would of stayed longer but Sunday dinner is calling!!

law

Reaction score
I went back to my comically small stream today. Sadly it was still a tad high and rushing through, meaning I couldnt fish all the areas I wanted.
I settled into my first swim...

1404583_10152378114362307_547473607280574661_o.jpg

And after loosing 2 fish, and hooking my finger....
10298367_10152378144337307_3438807873222233868_o.jpg

I moved down to my second spot of the day...
1397266_10152378204027307_7916198809913105185_o.jpg

Where I had this...
10648964_10152378188932307_639079735174537221_o.jpg

I had no more interest in the next half hour so moved down stream again...
1398272_10152378254332307_2412288981441566749_o.jpg

Where I had these 2.
241064_10152378254257307_7974606373769741673_o.jpg

1014778_10152378277552307_1126942327260341686_o.jpg

After moving a couple more times I didnt get any other interest so headed home.
Sadly nothing big today, but we still have plenty of the winter to go!

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Interclub match today in rural Bedfordshire on the river Ouse.
Drew upstream end peg which I plumbed and found 10' of water off my rodtip.
Further out it went to approx 12'. Started on the pole @11m, with a top4 rig. 1gr body up float to an olivette and droppers and a size 18 hook.
Potted in groundbait, ( VDE Dark roach) hemp and casters and fished single maggot on the hook. Holding back hard on the float in the flow it was bite a chuck from quality 3 to 4oz roach, dace and some big bleak..
Had a few chucks across with the feeder and worm, a chublet and a few dace.
Went back on the pole as the bites were still coming. The last hour I fished my top 4 rig to hand and fed chopped worm and caster trying for one of the resident big perch but only caught smallish ones and few more roach on worm sections.
Finished 3rd with 4lb:9oz.
Winner 7lb:10oz.
2nd 7lb:0 oz.
16 fished.

Last edited:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I fished a small still water today from around 7am til noon and caught something more than twenty roach...None were more than 10" long, but it was enjoyable fishing none the less and made even more so because I caught them on Tares over hemp feed from under the rod tip.
Even more enjoyable was the fact that I discovered my way of hooking the Tares has until now probably been wrong, or perhaps not as efficient as it might have been.... Today I placed the Tare on the hook as one needs to do with hemp. In other words not through the side, but along the centre of the seed, if you will, and it worked really very well. I missed many and lost a couple, but it was good fishing on a lovely, quiet peaceful day..............

Because of this I shall go again tomorrow and possibly catch nowt............

ps Feed was hemp but only 3/4 grains at a time and the swim 5' deep with my offerings at roughly 6" less than this. This detail is for the more technically minded....................

nicepix

Reaction score
I had a wonder out for a couple of hours didn't catch but got me out of the house and onto a new stretch

Resident Don Walker nicepix will recognise, down the end of clay wheels.
Took krill pellets and some plain, banded pellet and pva sticks.. Had a couple of twitchs on the line but nothing enough to move the tip.
Would of stayed longer but Sunday dinner is calling!!

I was looking at those pics and initially I thought 'Beeley Wood Road', but it is a bit downstream of there I think. Near the old UCAR factory? The EA were clearing out that weir when I last visited. Have you tried the other weir upstream of there - abut 100 yds from the end of BW Rd?

You are right. Not so long since I used to get paid to walk dogs down that length :)

The Runner

Reaction score
Bit of a grueller today, club match on GUC Slough Arm at Langley.
This being the first match there since the completion of major dredging works, nobody was quite sure how it would fish. In the event, same as always other than it being a foot deeper down the track and up to 2ft deeper across...
Drew what was usually a hard area pre dredging, about eighty yards past the kissing gate, as was always too shallow across to the boats there. About 2' 6" to 3' deep across now but still rock hard today. Only had ten fish all day for 1-2 and me and the end peg to my left ended up 16th and 15th respectively of the 17 fishing.
Spent most of the second half of the match looking for bonus skimmers or big perch on worm and caster but no sign apart from the half pound perch I lost at the net with 5 minutes to go...
7-5 all roach won it on punch, then 6-4, 6-3, 5-15 making up the frame.
Tempted to have a pleasure session there targeting the perch as there were some proper ones striking at the little roach at the other end of the match length in the afternoon as the light began to drop.

andreagrispi

Reaction score
Fished the Swale on float with maggots. The area contains chub to 7lb so used 4.12lb bottom to stand a fighting chance. This caused the chub to be very cagey, hence they were lipping the maggot on the hook. I caught two of 4.11 and 4.07 but pulled out of 3 - one of which felt big. Only angler on the whole stretch.