How did you get on?

rubio

Reaction score
Tuck the tag end back through the eye. Assuming you have managed to tie the hook the right way up in the first place. I generally fail at that hurdle myself.

Another Dave

Reaction score
Neil, when using a palomar knot for the hook (assuming you do when drop shotting) how can you ensure the hook points upwards, seems a bit hit and miss with me.

Tie the knot in the middle of the leader, then after it's done decide which end to attach to the mainline.

Another Dave

Reaction score
Another late report.
Nice little Saturday session on the river.
3 jacks on the white kopyto & 2 perch on a motor oil crayfish.:)

I have a few of those lures waiting to be used. Did you dropshot them or jig them?

mikench

Reaction score
I was convinced that it was April and the 1st at that as the sun shone then it rained, then it blew, then the sun shone and I was mighty glad I had put up my brolly from the off!

I arrived at the large shallow Mere at around 8.30 picked a peg I hadn't previously tried and set up. I cast out the carp rod with a boilie as bait and set the rod down on the buzzer. I catapulted some boilies into the general vicinity of where my hook bait was and poured a coffee.

I then set up my feeder rod with a mesh feeder and a prawn hair rigged on a 20" hooklink as the hook bait. Oh did I not say that I was after perch after my limited success last time out! Nothing happened despite recasting regularly on either rod until 2.09 pm:) Being a sad b*****d I like The Archers and had missed the first 6 minutes or so of last nights episode so I tuned in . At the point where I had caught up the buzzer started to chirrup and line was being taken so I picked up the carp rod and knew I was into a decent fish! It turned out to be a 11lb common. I looked at my feeder rod to see if it was likely to get in the way only to see the tip swing round as a solid bite developed. " gosh fancy that " I said or words to that effect!:rolleyes:

You wait 5 hours with not a nibble and then ,like buses, two come at once. Despite my dislocated fingers I landed the carp, weighed it, returned it to the water and reeled in the feeder rod. This was the result;

A PB roach of 1lb 3oz!:wh

Bizarrely there then followed 5 more carp from 10 to 12lb all on the feeder rod and all on prawn !:D:( The carp rod produced nothing more.

I must admit that the playing of the carp on my feeder rod( a Hardy Marksman) was infinitely more fun than on the carp rod ! The bend in the rod and the feel it gave was fun and really enjoyable. The carp rod just winched in the solitary carp without fuss and effort but without soul and what I would describe as the real pleasure of catching a fish. I suspect it may come into its own with carp over 20lb but I am not impressed! It may well be consigned to the garage!:rolleyes:

My ground bait was a mixture of crumb, spammed something or other, with left over corn and bits of spam. To this delicious melange I added chopped prawn and the water from the packet of prawns. I will not try and replicate it as I was just using up bits!:rolleyes: Feel free to try it!

All in all a lovely day despite the rain! I plan to return tomorrow but with different tactics! Watch this space ;)

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Nice one Mike, loving that roach pic, you didn't post any of the carp pics, you have taste.:thumbs:

mikench

Reaction score
If I can do it anyone can! I simply pushed a baiting needle through the prawn and drew the hair through it and added , in my case a Korda extenda stop et voila!:) You can pull the hair through the centre of the prawn or its length! It stayed on without difficulty!:)

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Three trips condensed into one post.

Tuesday
A trip to the Stour at Grove Ferry to try out a bit of drop shotting for the first time. Spotted a fellow member on arrival, asked how he was getting on, "not a bite in eight years mate"
LcfMtNR.jpg

Travelled light to move around, a jig set up and a drop shot rig.
k6TkZWX.jpg

I've no doubt the small selection of lures will increase in the shortness of time!
Mind you I could have had ten times as many, just couldn't get a take:confused: I changed to a real lobworm which met with instant success.
YqLvsNi.jpg

Nothing huge but fun on such a delicate rod. I had a further 9 before the tide turned and then it went dead. I must remember from days fishing as a kid on the Thames to only fish when the tide is going out.

Didn't think I did the drop shotting justice and watched a few videos that evening and realised approach required a bit more finesse.

Wednesday
Back to the urban stretch in search of carp, a fruitless exercise saved by a couple of chub bring my seasons tally along this stretch to thirty. All barring two chublets they have all gone between 3 and 4lb, a five can't be to far away.

Friday
A quick return to Grove Ferry this morning in glorious sunshine to see if my homework on drop shotting had paid off. Searched out lots of nooks and crannies looking for stripey.
d4J5HmG.jpg

Didn't have to wait too long before the braid went taught and a nice little battle ensued resulting in my best drop shot fish so far, 19ozs.
aWXn7Qy.jpg

Pleased as punch, my first on a plastic lure (a 3" Fastaction attractor shad). Had a further four before packing up when bumping into a fellow member, slightly less wooden than the first who told me of perch between two and three pound being caught earlier in the week.

"I'll be back"

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
A short session on a small beck today. The kind of place where an eleven foot rod is often a little long and much more than eighteen inches is a deep swim.
Fairly hard work in low clear water with plenty of patches of summer ranunculus still hanging on. While the sun was shining it was almost a complete waste of time. Luckily, it turned dull after about an hour. Eventually managed four grayling from about a mile of water. Realistically, that meant four or five fishable spots. The smallest was a fingerling, next a tiddler of about 8oz and a couple of proper ones over a pound.
413581974.jpg

mikench

Reaction score
As the lyrics go in that great song by Dinah Washington " what a difference a day makes , 24 little hours" ! I returned to the same lake, the same peg and the same set up except for the prawns!:) neither rod produced a chirrup or a twitch until about 415 pm . I tried corn , pellets of every flavour and size and both GB( not my special mix:)) and micro pellets but to no avail. I finally had a bite on the carp rod resulting in a mirror of 16lb. I then had two bream on the feeder ( they rarely let me down) and that was it! At least the weather was benign and dry!

I thought I was going to blank but those late fish saved the day! It was nice to be out again and I watched the kingfishers skimming above the surface of the water! Dare I make it 3 days in a row??? Rhetorical? Which only I can answer :rolleyes:

jimlad

Reaction score
A short session on a small beck today. The kind of place where an eleven foot rod is often a little long and much more than eighteen inches is a deep swim.

Fairly hard work in low clear water with plenty of patches of summer ranunculus still hanging on. While the sun was shining it was almost a complete waste of time. Luckily, it turned dull after about an hour. Eventually managed four grayling from about a mile of water. Realistically, that meant four or five fishable spots. The smallest was a fingerling, next a tiddler of about 8oz and a couple of proper ones over a pound.

413581974.jpg

How is the acolyte net?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nottskev

Reaction score
A calm sunny day today, but I've seen enough Trent roach and dace lately and I fancied a change this afternoon. Earwigging a bit of tackle-shop gossip, I'd heard of some good perch from a nearby stretch of the Soar, so I put the wheels on the box and pushed it the ¼ mile to a small marina at a canal/river junction.

soar5.jpg

That's a long walk by my standards, so I wanted to hedge my bets, even with the one rod I'd brought. So with the same set up – a size 10 611, .16 hooklength and a small cage feeder – I fed chopped worm and casters in riddled peat, with worm on the hook, at the top of the boat opposite. And liquidised bread with flake on the hook against the boats 20m downstream hoping for a chub.

The bread was no good – only pecked by small roach. The worms weren't doing a lot better, with lots of small perch about. But suddenly I've hooked a real headbanging perch and it won''t come away from the boat. With the rod hooped over and the perch under the boat, a barge comes round around the bend 30m away. Wincing, I dragged the fish into the middle of the river and dropped the rod down, and shouted to the boaters to go to the far side – there's room and depth – so I can bring this big fish in. They looked at me, bemused, then swerved to my side and cut the line. I wouldn't normally swear at people passing in a boat, but I made an exception.

I set up again and caught a few more small to medium perch, but my heart wasn't really in it.
This one was the best of the rest.

soar6.jpg

They clearly weren't kidding about the good perch, and I've heard it's a good mid-winter roach stretch, too. I enjoyed the smaller scale and gentle pace – made a nice change from the wide, fast-flowing, wind-swept Trent.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The lake outlet was gushing through and coloured today and I nearly walked back to the wheels and went back home but I thought, what the hell, i'm here now so I might as well have a go.
Anyhow I caught lots of fish, just chub and dace with the largest chub being approx 2 to 3lb. The first fish (no idea what it was but most likely a chub) powered across the flow straight into the submerged undergrowth! Even after risking my life struggling along the steep bank to get directly above it I couldn't drag it out. It had either shed my hook in the cover or was buried very deep amongst it. Anyhow I had to pull my line with my hand until it cracked off, just lost several shot and the hook...just hope I didn't damage the poor fish if it was still attached! I had a gate crasher that stole a chub of two pound or more feet away from me and cut my line off just below the bottom shot! The party pooper didn't stop the action though as I was catching across the flow and 30 yards downstream. I had nowhere to take a picture as the banks are very steep and the water was a few feet higher than it normally is.